• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Freaking out!!!

Theiz1123

I’m new to the group, and I’ve been reading some of the posts, and it’s been reassuring, so thanks for that. My surgery is on the 14th and I’m starting to panic. I’m having the sleeve and I can’t tell if this is regular pre-surgery nerves! My cousin had this surgery and we were talking and she sent me a copy of her book and her post op diet is so much more rigorous than what I was given, that I’m now worried I’m going to mess this up. The diet I was given was 2 weeks full liquids then soft foods. She was given 2 weeks full liquid then 2 weeks of purée then soft foods. Does anyone have suggestions on whether they had experience with either of these plans and how it went for you?

:DThe post-op diet is the same regardless of the type of surgery you have. You may feel overwhelmed by it right now, but after you come home, you will discover that all you want to eat is what they recommended you to eat. Most people do not have the appetite they had before. Don't worry about it.

By the way, by choosing the sleeve you have chosen a laparoscopic technique. That's a lot easier to recover from. You have much less to worry about than you think right now. Stop awfulizing and start fantasizing about the clothes you're going to wear, the blood sugar that's going to improve, thE GERD that might DISAPPEAR and your new life.

:DThe post-op diet is the same regardless of the type of surgery you have. You may feel overwhelmed by it right now, but after you come home, you will discover that all you want to eat is what they recommended you to eat. Most people do not have the appetite they had before. Don't worry about it.

By the way, by choosing the sleeve you have chosen a laparoscopic technique. That's a lot easier to recover from. You have much less to worry about than you think right now. Stop awfulizing and start fantasizing about the clothes you're going to wear, the blood sugar that's going to improve, thE GERD that might DISAPPEAR and your new life.

Thank you!

My surgery was July 1 and even more strict than yours on the post op diet! I had the Ruin-y. Diet was 2 weeks full liquids, 3 weeks pureed, 3 weeks soft (that's where I am now) and then regular foods. I followed the plan, it helps with healing. The hardest part for me was the full liquids and it wasn't hard until day 12 or so because I was getting hungry and felt pretty empty. Hang in there, you can totally do this!

I’m new to the group, and I’ve been reading some of the posts, and it’s been reassuring, so thanks for that. My surgery is on the 14th and I’m starting to panic. I’m having the sleeve and I can’t tell if this is regular pre-surgery nerves! My cousin had this surgery and we were talking and she sent me a copy of her book and her post op diet is so much more rigorous than what I was given, that I’m now worried I’m going to mess this up. The diet I was given was 2 weeks full liquids then soft foods. She was given 2 weeks full liquid then 2 weeks of purée then soft foods. Does anyone have suggestions on whether they had experience with either of these plans and how it went for you?

Insert some pureed foods prior to soft foods if you want. It's your body and you will be able to feel what is right for you. Or you could start with something like cream of wheat, you can adjust it so that it is thin, ideal for when transitioning off of liquid diet, and doesn't need pureeing. Then make it thicker and see how your body handles it. If you are handling it fine, then introduce new foods the same way.

I met with the surgeon for the first time Wednesday. Did my labs on Thursday. I’m scheduled to do the EKG this coming Tuesday and chest X-ray on Wednesday. I’m also scheduled for a stomachache emptying test on Wednesday (testing bc I have history of gastropanesis). I’m not expecting a problem as I’ve not had a problem in several years but surgeon still wants it done to be on safe side. My dog is sick and the vets closed until Tuesday. His name is Bentley. Please keep him in your thoughts and prayers if you believe. Thank you.

I met with the surgeon for the first time Wednesday. Did my labs on Thursday. I’m scheduled to do the EKG this coming Tuesday and chest X-ray on Wednesday. I’m also scheduled for a stomachache emptying test on Wednesday (testing bc I have history of gastropanesis). I’m not expecting a problem as I’ve not had a problem in several years but surgeon still wants it done to be on safe side. My dog is sick and the vets closed until Tuesday. His name is Bentley. Please keep him in your thoughts and prayers if you believe. Thank you.

Sounds like you're completely on track and maintaining a positive attitude about everything, which really helps more than anything. Sorry to hear about Bentley, I hope he is doing better today.

Thank you all for your love and support. Bentley has an appointment with the vet at noon today and I am doing my EKG today for the surgery. Everything is going well for preparing for the surgery. I’m just concerned about Bentley. Again, thank you for your support and prayers.
Cyndy

How's Bentley today, Cyndy?

I had to put Bentley down. It was his liver, liver was swollen and he was bleeding internally. Dr believed he probably had a tumor. I stayed while he went to sleep. He was a happy, gentle boy and mom and I will miss him terribly. I can’t stop crying. I love him enough not to allow him to suffer. I know it was the right thing but it is still hard.

Back