• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Frequent UTIs post bypass

Judycat

Hello: I had gastric bypass 11/27 and have had 3 UTIs since surg. I was not Catheterized and prior to surgery rarely got them. Has anyone else experienced this? I’ve been put on antibiotics each time as cultures were positive. Pretty much 1-2 weeks later comes back. Seeing a Gyn Monday. I’ve read this can happen but wondering why and if anyone here has any insight.

My health has improved in every way since I had surgery in 2008. And I used to get UTIs all the time from the time I was in my teens until I learned I was causing them. I'm sorry to be indelicate, but someone here might have the same problem I had that caused so many of them. It turned out I was taught from childhood to wipe from back to front when toileting. This caused bacteria & fungus, etc., to be deposited into the entry of my vagina and my urethra. I had yeast infections all the time, too. So did my mom, who was the person who taught me how to wipe--incorrectly!

Once I changed and went from front to back, or even just ... chose and orifice, as it were, and wipe/clean that ... I never had another infection of either type. I tried to explain to my mother that there was a more sanitary way to wipe, but she just hated talking about anything that involved bodily functions or sex, so as she got older, oh my god, she had so many horrible infections that hospitalized her, and eventually just ruined her bladder/urethral system. They had to implant a device under her skin that sent a signal to her nerve endings, alerting her that her bladder was getting full, because she couldn't feel it.

She lived to be 93, which was amazing, since no one on either side of my family lived to their 80s, and most died in their 70s (I'm 72 and healthy as a horse), but she had this problem up until the day she expired.

I'm guessing this doesn't relate to your problem directly, but I just thought I'd take the opportunity to share this and support your question about how common UTIs are among group members. But I understand if people want to be discreet. I've been here a million years and never brought it up because it's kind of embarrassing.

And as I said at the beginning, no, this hasn't been a problem for me since I had surgery. I don't see how it could relate to surgery, but most UTIs are not bacterial, but reactions to yeast, and they don't respond to oral medications like penicillin & such. In fact, yeast infections can be caused by using penicillin. And if you have a yeast infection and it's urethra-adjacent, you can get a UTI as a result.

My health has improved in every way since I had surgery in 2008. And I used to get UTIs all the time from the time I was in my teens until I learned I was causing them. I'm sorry to be indelicate, but someone here might have the same problem I had that caused so many of them. It turned out I was taught from childhood to wipe from back to front when toileting. This caused bacteria & fungus, etc., to be deposited into the entry of my vagina and my urethra. I had yeast infections all the time, too. So did my mom, who was the person who taught me how to wipe--incorrectly!

Once I changed and went from front to back, or even just ... chose and orifice, as it were, and wipe/clean that ... I never had another infection of either type. I tried to explain to my mother that there was a more sanitary way to wipe, but she just hated talking about anything that involved bodily functions or sex, so as she got older, oh my god, she had so many horrible infections that hospitalized her, and eventually just ruined her bladder/urethral system. They had to implant a device under her skin that sent a signal to her nerve endings, alerting her that her bladder was getting full, because she couldn't feel it.

She lived to be 93, which was amazing, since no one on either side of my family lived to their 80s, and most died in their 70s (I'm 72 and healthy as a horse), but she had this problem up until the day she expired.

I'm guessing this doesn't relate to your problem directly, but I just thought I'd take the opportunity to share this and support your question about how common UTIs are among group members. But I understand if people want to be discreet. I've been here a million years and never brought it up because it's kind of embarrassing.

And as I said at the beginning, no, this hasn't been a problem for me since I had surgery. I don't see how it could relate to surgery, but most UTIs are not bacterial, but reactions to yeast, and they don't respond to oral medications like penicillin & such. In fact, yeast infections can be caused by using penicillin. And if you have a yeast infection and it's urethra-adjacent, you can get a UTI as a result.
Thank you, However these issues you mentioned do not apply to me. I never had UTI issue until post surgery but I do appreciate you taking the time to respond.

Back