• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Friday, July 16th, is my surgery date for a sleeve.

Shaeoshae

Hi All,
I'm delighted I found this support group. Whoo Hoo! I'm so excited and nervous at the same time. I've had friends who have been very successful and some that gained the weight back. I'd love to hear your advise on how you became successful and any input you could suggest for a beginner.
Thank you and looking forward to meeting new friends.

Last edited:
Hi! Welcome!! Congrats on your surgery date. Tracking, especially the first few months really helped me because I was measuring everything and being very diligent. I’ve loosen up on that now, but I still track my protein and fluids. If I feel like I’ve loosened up too much I go back to tracking and measuring everything. I’ve learned to give myself grace and understanding when it comes to food because it’s not mentally healthy to beat oneself up.

Hi! Welcome!! Congrats on your surgery date. Tracking, especially the first few months really helped me because I was measuring everything and being very diligent. I’ve loosen up on that now, but I still track my protein and fluids. If I feel like I’ve loosened up too much I go back to tracking and measuring everything. I’ve learned to give myself grace and understanding when it comes to food because it’s not mentally healthy to beat oneself up.
Thank you, that defiantly helps. Do you use a certain app to track? I’ve use the carb manager in the past.

Wow. That's tomorrow. Congrats and welcome. I agree with 3mom. Measuring and tracking your intake, at least for the 1st few months gives you the best chance of success. I also suggest meal-prep. Make yourself snacks in advance, proportioned out, so when you're hungry you're grabbing something that is healthy. Good luck.

Wow. That's tomorrow. Congrats and welcome. I agree with 3mom. Measuring and tracking your intake, at least for the 1st few months gives you the best chance of success. I also suggest meal-prep. Make yourself snacks in advance, proportioned out, so when you're hungry you're grabbing something that is healthy. Good luck.
Thank you, I downloaded the Bariatric app and will start using it to log everything. Great Idea. :)

Wow! Congratulations! You certainly found the right place! I have not had my surgery, scheduled for bypass on August 11th, but from all I've read my best advice is to stay hydrated.

Today I am practicing taking small sips of water from 2oz cups over 15 minute intervals continuously throughout the day to try to get 64 oz in. It is actually a full time job! I figure if I practice a few times before surgery it hopefully won't be as difficult post-op. Unfortunately I am a straw user and a gulper, not a sipper. This is a culture shock for me, and to top it off NO CARBONATION! LOL!

Best of luck with your surgery and welcome to the group.

Hi All,
I'm delighted I found this support group. Whoo Hoo! I'm so excited and nervous at the same time. I've had friends who have been very successful and some that gained the weight back. I'd love to hear your advise on how you became successful and any input you could suggest for a beginner.
Thank you and looking forward to meeting new friends.
Hope your surgery went well today and your recovery is speedy!!

Back