• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Frusterated

Tokash

I feel like since I hit 6 months everything is stuck. 3 weeks ago I gained a pound and a half, last week lost it, this week gained 2 pounds.

This week I have focused less on tracking more on eating when hungry(3 meals). I dont weigh anything but do have a rough idea of what is going in and feel like im not not crazy off. I stop when I am full. I will also have a protein shake in the day somewhere everyday.

I feel like I am lost and annoyed with seeing the scale go up.

Last edited:
I only do bread a couple times a week at most. The only bread I eat/can eat is the Sara Lee 45 cals. Some weeks I dont have any bread at all.

Breakfast is usually one of the following: a coffee and cheese, eggs with some sort of meat, or when I'm running late the breakfast sandwich which I take half the bread off.

Lunch is usually either leftovers (like today will probs be pork chop(made out of lean pork loin), a simple balance which is a mix of fruit, nuts and cheese(occasionally meat but not often.

dinner is usually whatever i make when I get home or if its going to be one of my long nights left overs for lunch and the simple balance for dinner.

I used to also have a pickle daily with either lunch or dinner. If I have them I throw some cut up apples in with dinner.

One protein shake a day, usually with my coffee but if I find I am hungry I will have another later in the afternoon.

Are you able to reach out to a dietitian in your surgeons office for some ideas? I’m sorry your frustrated about this. It sounds like you’re getting the calories and protein you need. How’s your hydration? Sometimes I hit a wall when I don’t drink enough. Maybe your body is happy at the weight it’s at? I’m not sure, but I hope you can get to where you want.

Are you able to reach out to a dietitian in your surgeons office for some ideas? I’m sorry your frustrated about this. It sounds like you’re getting the calories and protein you need. How’s your hydration? Sometimes I hit a wall when I don’t drink enough. Maybe your body is happy at the weight it’s at? I’m not sure, but I hope you can get to where you want.

My water is between 64-96 oz a day. Some days over 96 but not often. Most days are pretty consistantly around 80. I have a 32 oz bottle and usually drink about 2 1/2 bottles a day.

I am going to try and get an appointment. I have one at 9 months. I have to figure out how to do so but also get frustrated with her because she goes over what I should eat and not much else. I know what I should eat but struggle to know amounts and things like that as my office really avoids putting perimeters on things like that.

To be honest I would like to lose another 15-20 but if I dont its ok. I just don't want to gain or constantly yoyo up and down (and yes I know a few pounds fluctuations are normal).

I have read your previous posts and have always wondered if you are getting enough calories. I believe the last time I saw a number you were still on 800 per day? I obviously do not know the amounts of the foods you listed in the above example but just as a quick run down (and please correct me if I'm wrong) breakfast of coffee and cheese is 150(ish) for protein shake and 100 for an ounce of cheese, most of those protein snack packs are around 250 and 4 oz of pork loin is 150. That's a total of a whopping 500 calories. At some point your body has to think you're starving if you're actually that low. I'm going to try to scan and post a "sample diet" my program gave me for a regular diet (which started at week 6 for me). Of course I'm no expert and everyone should follow their own program but it's crazy to me that they would not give you some basic serving size/calorie/nutritional guidelines.

I have read your previous posts and have always wondered if you are getting enough calories. I believe the last time I saw a number you were still on 800 per day? I obviously do not know the amounts of the foods you listed in the above example but just as a quick run down (and please correct me if I'm wrong) breakfast of coffee and cheese is 150(ish) for protein shake and 100 for an ounce of cheese, most of those protein snack packs are around 250 and 4 oz of pork loin is 150. That's a total of a whopping 500 calories. At some point your body has to think you're starving if you're actually that low. I'm going to try to scan and post a "sample diet" my program gave me for a regular diet (which started at week 6 for me). Of course I'm no expert and everyone should follow their own program but it's crazy to me that they would not give you some basic serving size/calorie/nutritional guidelines.

They give a size- example my last doc appointment she said 1/2 -3/4 cup food.

My coffee, depending how I make it is either 195 cals or 175 cals. I eat string cheese and that is 80.

I have tried upping my cals closure to a thousand. I was at 800 for a long time even when the doc said it was too many. This week I didn't focus on calories rather eatring when hungry and stopping when full so I dont know exact cals. My sandwich is typically around 250 with no side. I typically don't do a side with this as I am full.

2 weeks ago I was around 1000 but will say its really hard with the mind trip when I gain because the brain then goes to "eating to much"

Well, it ended up as a PDF. As I'm not tech savvy, there is no preview. So, I'll just write it down :rolleyes:

Breakfast:
1/4 C Skim Milk
1/2 C low sugar/high fiber cereal
1/4 Banana
Snack #1
1 oz light String Cheese
2-3 high fiber Crackers
1/2 Orange
Lunch:
2oz Lean Meat, Fish or Poultry
1/4 - 1/2 C Veggies
Snack #2
6 oz no sugar added Yogurt
1/4 C fresh Fruit
Dinner:
1/4 - 1/2 C Veggies or Mashed Potato
Snack #3
6oz Protein Shake

This Menu contains approx. 70g Protein and between 900-950 calories

This was for my 7th week. I obviously could not eat all that week 7, but I still use it as a guide.

Attachments

• regular diet.pdf
    226 KB · Views: 123
Well, it ended up as a PDF. As I'm not tech savvy, there is no preview. So, I'll just write it down :rolleyes:

Breakfast:
1/4 C Skim Milk
1/2 C low sugar/high fiber cereal
1/4 Banana
Snack #1
1 oz light String Cheese
2-3 high fiber Crackers
1/2 Orange
Lunch:
1/4 - 1/2 C Veggies
Snack #2
6 oz no sugar added Yogurt
1/4 C fresh Fruit
Dinner:
1/4 - 1/2 C Veggies or Mashed Potato
Snack #3
6oz Protein Shake

This Menu contains approx. 70g Protein and between 900-950 calories

This was for my 7th week. I obviously could not eat all that week 7, but I still use it as a guide.

And as a side note im told no snacks. I did reach out to the dietician for an appointment

Are you getting any exercise?

Not as much as I would like. I was going for walks on my lunch break(2ish miles) but with it recently snowing, rain and cold again thats on pause. I did just order some equipment that should arrive today. By nature I'm more of a busy body when I can be instead of structured work outs but hoping to add some in along with walking.

I know everyone is different but for me when I exercise the weight falls off me it’s funny. Plus I drink more water. Being a busy body is great I would suggest a fit bit, or I watch and you can see how many steps or Mike’s you have walked in each day or you can see how very little you have moved.
For me, it’s very motivating. I can just be doing stuff around the house and look down and I have walked 5 miles already and the day is 1/2 over
Just a thought to think about

I know everyone is different but for me when I exercise the weight falls off me it’s funny. Plus I drink more water. Being a busy body is great I would suggest a fit bit, or I watch and you can see how many steps or Mike’s you have walked in each day or you can see how very little you have moved.
For me, it’s very motivating. I can just be doing stuff around the house and look down and I have walked 5 miles already and the day is 1/2 over
Just a thought to think about

I know I dont move enough. I work 4 days a week from essentially 8 am to 730ish at night. The other 3 days may- oct i am at our camper outside from sun up to sun down.

I ordered an Aeroski machine that can in today. Did a bit of work on it tonight before I got sick- note to self, VR on a moving object = very easy motion sickness!

My surgeon warned me of this. I am 2 months post op and he told me when I get to this point to try going back to just the protein shakes for a week and keep up with the exercise and the liquids and it will start coming back down. Good Luck!

Another thing that might be working against you is the pickles. Pickles have a lot of salt which will cause weight gain and fluid retention. Maybe you need to watch your salt. I know if I get to much salt I will start retaining fluid like crazy and it will affect my weight. I watch my salt very closely!!

Back