• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Frustrated, feeling defeated, need support/validation/input

Flea

Hello!

I am new here but have been a bariatric patient since 2013 and had a vertical sleeve gastrectomy in 2014 along with a hiatal hernia repair. This was followed soon by pregnancy which stalled my weight gloss and caused some regain, so I had a revision in 2018. I began experiencing horrific reflux so just converted to the bypass a few weeks ago.

I am having a horrible time post-op this time. Previously, I had zero post-op issues regarding pain or any thing else.

I am still struggling with significant pain at the incision site where my drain was. It is very limiting and gets worse as the day progresses. I started wearing an abdominal binder yesterday and am hopeful this will help.

I am not having regular bowel movements without using a laxative (I’ve used it three times so far - each time after I’ve reached the 6-7 days with no BM and even then they are very limited in efficacy).

I almost passed out in the shower this morning and my heart rate shoots up to the 130s/140s anytime I start moving around. I assume this is from dehydration - I’m drinking constantly during the day but I know I’m not getting the recommended 64 ounces in but doing my best!

The scale also has not budged since May 27th. I’m definitely not overeating and on a good day getting 800 calories in. Protein is averaging in the 40-60 gram range which I know is below the target but again, I’m working on it. Im also limited in my physical activity still because of the pain and increased heart rate.

I’m emotional because I just feel bad in general. Crying or on the verge of tears constantly throughout the day for no specific reason.

I have been in contact with my surgeons office about the near-syncopal episode, the pain and the lack of BMs. I am having labs done today.

I know to a point all of these things can happen and are to be expected. I just feel that if the scale would at least move to show that all of this is producing some positive effect but it all seems to be futile right now.

I’m really just looking for people who have been through a similar stall or rough patch so soon after surgery. I know (I hope?) this will all pass soon but it’s been dragging on for ever and I’m not one that is used to sitting still and I’ve never taken so long to recover from any surgery before so it’s taking a major toll on me.

thank you so much in advance for any support/encouragement/solidarity anyone has to have offer!

Last edited:
I am so sorry you are going through all this and that you feel better soon. While I have no idea on the physical side what is going on, I do know something about the emotional side. I had quite a bit of complications after surgery but I did pull out of it. Once I did and started to lose, I felt so much better about having the surgery done. Just focus on getting through the day for now, or even the hour! As far as your weight not budging, it could be because of what is going on in your body right now and it is trying to hold on to what it has. That won't last forever, and it sure doesn't sound like anything you are doing wrong. I sure hope the doctor will give you some good answers.

Four surgeries, a pregnancy and childbirth in 7 years.

Girl, you need a NAP!

Your focus should be on rest and regeneration now. No new procedures unless it's life-or-death.

Unplug from everything and get a full night's sleep+nap every day.

Whatever is driving you doesn't seem to have your best interest at heart.

I am sorry. I did not have the pain but the constipation you will feel better when you get that worked out and maybe the scale will move some too. I am 6 weeks out and my scale has not been moving well either. I did just have my 6 week appt this week. I did think they were going to yell at me and or tell me I am doing this all wrong. But she was so nice and said this does happen sometimes they do not know why. Also they are not concerned about the 6 week loss. She said they care more about the 4 month loss. At least I feel better and know that I am not messing this all up. I hope you get some answers. Get some rest and time.

I’m sorry for all your struggles! I hope your doctor can find a solution soon. Did they give any helpful information on why you’re in so much pain still?

I called the surgeons office yesterday having a complete meltdown after I couldn’t even maneuver to get my shoes on and struggled to even turn the steering wheel and drive to work because of the pain it caused in my abdomen. He seemed unconcerned about it and said he feels it’s just a torn muscle. Told me to go back on my pain meds (which I won’t do because of my constipation issues and they make me hallucinate) and to give it more time.

So, I cancelled all my plans this weekend, called in to the job I work sometimes on the side for extra money, and am laying in bed with an abdominal binder on, trying to give myself a solid two days of rest. It’s making me an emotional wreck. The constant pain, not being able to do anything but lay around because excessive movement causes it to flare up to the point that I can barely move, and not being able to keep up with even basic day-to-day things is not something I can cope with much longer.

I am having a horrible time post-op this time. Previously, I had zero post-op issues regarding pain or any thing else.

I am not having regular bowel movements without using a laxative (I’ve used it three times so far - each time after I’ve reached the 6-7 days with no BM and even then they are very limited in efficacy).
What laxative are you taking? If it's not a fiber lax, you should switch.

I wrote a detailed post long ago about the epic BM I had right after surgery. I won't go into detail here, but it took 2 days and was painful and huge.

I believe fiber lax should be part of post-op instructions. I was bearing down so hard, with no results, I thought I'd bust my staples.

Fiber lax also has been linked to reduced cholesterol.

Since we can't eat vegetables for a while after surgery, we don't get the fiber we need to move our bowels.

Take the pain meds and 2-3 doses of fiber lax daily. You shouldn't be suffering.

I'd also advise you to switch up your calorie counts. Your metabolism will respond to this. Along with the fiber, your body will get busy and your weight loss will kick in.

Whatever you do, don't go back to a starvation diet like you might have before surgery. Your body has changed in many ways because you altered your digestive process.

Did you get a food list? If not, ask your nutritionist for one. Members of this group have also shared their lists, so you can find and follow one of those. I may post mine, if I can find it.

Flea hasn't been back since June 16th. This worries me. In re-reading her orignal horror story, I think an ER visit with different doctors and tests would be in order.

To newbies, her combination of problems is NOT normal, and if her doc is so dismissive, catastrophic events are on the horizon.

THIS IS NOT NORMAL. I DONT think I've read such a complicated story in two years.

She also didn't confirm that she was able to take in any of our suggestions. That's really bad. There's so much experience here, the least she should have done is escalate her care to an entirely different doc or hospital.

Her experience is not normal. Don't let this happen to you. She has the power to go to the hospital, and that's the most important of everything she detailed.

99% of the members here had normal recovery, and so should anyone about to get WLS.

I don't think we're getting the whole story. Only Flea can tell it. Unless she's dead, she should be here telling us how the story ends.

Oh man....this is not good. I have a bad feeling about this. Do any of you know her personally?

Flea, if you are reading this please let people know that you’re okay? I feel so bad! I don’t know you but I’m worried for you just the same.

Please, just a quick post letting us know that you’re okay......

My wife has had 2 back surgeries in 4 months . Pain pills leading to constipation bad . No lax or rx worked to make her regular . Home care nurse gave her 2ozprune juice & 2oz apple juice mixed and microwaved for 90 secs.
1/2 hr later there was an eruption !!!
This probably not acceptable for loosing weight, but when you can’t go and it’s hurting , try it

Back