• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Full but still hungry

Welcome, Alli. Yep, you got the Head Hunger! I think we've all been where you are, but in my case, it went away long ago. I had a diagnosed eating disorder, starting more than 50 years ago, but I think RYGB took it away. There is a portion of your stomach that manufactures grehlin, the appetite stimulating hormone. For some people who have the big bypass, a lot of this is removed. I think that happened to me because I used to be tortured by it.

But this doesn't happen for everyone. I was so motivated to change my life, my bulimarexia no longer obsessed me. This was a classic case of redemption. I told myself, if I can get back my life, my health, I'll never throw it away again.

My surgery was 20 Aug 2007 and although I've had ups and downs, I've maintained a healthy body since then.

I hope you find you can live with that gremlin until it fades away, along with the excess weight. You're in charge now, not that voice.

Thanks for sharing your struggle. It doesn't change for everyone so it's important to be deliberate about your life and diet. There's an awesome book that has helped me. It's a diet from negative thinking.

It's actually available as a free text online, so you can read it as soon as you want to.

We're all here to support each other, so jump right in if you read a post you can share info with!

Thanks for sharing your struggle. It doesn't change for everyone so it's important to be deliberate about your life and diet. There's an awesome book that has helped me. It's a diet from negative thinking.

View attachment 3387

It's actually available as a free text online, so you can read it as soon as you want to.

We're all here to support each other, so jump right in if you read a post you can share info with!
Thank you so much!!!!!

I still get that way from time to time but not like I did prior to the surgery. I've gotten much better at checking myself to make sure it is stomach hunger and not head hunger. Sometimes it is just boredom and distracting myself helps as does drinking more water!

You know, my stomach makes so much noise, and seems to be full of gas that I can't even determine what is a hunger pang anymore. I usually just keep an eye on the clock and deal with the rest. This is a relatively new thing for me. At first I though it was hunger and now when I ignore it, I find out it isn't really hunger after all. I do find myself thirsty more than I should--maybe I should keep an eye on the clock for water too!

It's not uncommon to feel that way. Your body is adjusting away from its previous routines and habits. The hunger is real, and I definitely wondered sometimes if the surgery was a success early on, but it will probably normalize for you over time. I found my hunger more "normal" after I started eating regular food as well as the further along I got I started adjusting to my new eating and sort of re-learning when I really was and wasn't hungry.

It can be a confusing process with all the changes going on internally, but you can find some balance over time, with a little frustration mixed it. No worries, it will be okay. :)

There are still days when I feel hungry when I know for a fact that I'm not. I am now trying to guestimate my food portions instead of weighing everything out and I'm finding that even after all these months of EXACT measurements for portion control, my head and my eyes think I am hungrier than I am. Those are the days that I'm extra grateful for the surgery that will not allow me to continue eating when I am satiated. Most days are perfectly fine but some days, this wonderful tool really comes in handy.

Back