• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Gaining pounds on Liquid Diet

Nisey

Hi anybody, Cheyenne, Debbie S, is it normal to gain weight before you lose weight on the protein shakes liquid diet? Also do you get constipated on the liquid diet? Should I get some Benefiber or Miralax? Never mind, weighed myself three days after starting liquid diet and had lost 6 lbs. I know I shouldn't weigh myself during this time but I have to make sure I'm not going up in weight.

Last edited:
Hi anybody, Cheyenne, Debbie S, is it normal to gain weight before you lose weight on the protein shakes liquid diet? Also do you get constipated on the liquid diet? Should I get some Benefiber or Miralax? Never mind, weighed myself three days after starting liquid diet and had lost 6 lbs. I know I shouldn't weigh myself during this time but I have to make sure I'm not going up in weight.

Hi Nisey! Glad you lost weight. Six pounds in 3 days is great!

I was constipated terrible after surgery and had to take stool softners (which didn't help all that much) and Miralax and other fiber laxatives. I also used glycerine supositories. High protein diets cause constipation but it's worth it in the end result. Now I eat fruit which keeps me regular but couldn't do that and drop the weight as I needed to for the first 15 months. I really need to go back to eating salad, chicken breast and green beans and drop some more weight but I took some time off weight loss dieting and now eat a nice healthy diet with carbs and my weight is stable. I do want to lose more but the surgeon says I have 20 lb lose skin and now I don't think I want to go down to 135lb because I think I would be swimming in my skin. I'm not sure about getting plastic surgery. I want it but I am not sure I want to go through all that.

Cheyenne

Hi Nisey! Glad you lost weight. Six pounds in 3 days is great!

I was constipated terrible after surgery and had to take stool softners (which didn't help all that much) and Miralax and other fiber laxatives. I also used glycerine supositories. High protein diets cause constipation but it's worth it in the end result. Now I eat fruit which keeps me regular but couldn't do that and drop the weight as I needed to for the first 15 months. I really need to go back to eating salad, chicken breast and green beans and drop some more weight but I took some time off weight loss dieting and now eat a nice healthy diet with carbs and my weight is stable. I do want to lose more but the surgeon says I have 20 lb lose skin and now I don't think I want to go down to 135lb because I think I would be swimming in my skin. I'm not sure about getting plastic surgery. I want it but I am not sure I want to go through all that.

Cheyenne

Also, post surgery you are pumped up with liquids to prevent dehydration. This will produce a significant weight gain as you leave the hospital. Then you start to drop weight.

The important thing right now is stay hydrated and get your protein in the best you can.

As time goes by and you progress you will find that the weight comes off and you begin to enjoy, albeit in limited quantities, some solid foods that will help regularity, etc., as Cheyenne suggests.

Ralph

Back