1. American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!
    Dismiss Notice

Gaining Weight

Discussion in '1+ Years After Surgery' started by Lorri Barnes, Mar 25, 2017.

1. Lorri Barnes

Lorri Barnes New Member

Surgery Type:
    Gastric Bypass
    Surgery Date:
    12/10/2004
    Start Weight:
    Current Weight:
    Goal Weight:
    Hello everyone. New to this and first time posting. I am almost 13 years out. I was 436 pounds on the day of my surgery. Got down to 140. I was not comfortable at that weight. I had some real self esteem issues. Anyway, over the past couple of years I have gained back 90 pounds. I am 229 as of today. Anyone else experience anything like this?

2. dancinbr

dancinbr Active Member

Surgery Type:
    Gastric By-pass
    Surgery Date:
    11/4/2013
    Start Weight:
    Current Weight:
    Goal Weight:
    Under 200
    Wow 13 years, congratulations.

I am post op 3+ years. I have gained 15. I am not allowing it to go any higher.

Don't let it slip away on you. You worked so hard.

Try to get back to a support group.

This is so important.

I still communicate with my weight watchers group who cheers me on

I haven't made a monthly at my support group lately, but I am getting ready to go back to that as well.

See your doctor.

Don't let it slip away on you.

Best wishes,

Ralph

HeidiRose05 and Lorri Barnes like this.
  3. Wendy McDermott

Wendy McDermott New Member

Surgery Type:
    Gastric Bypass
    Surgery Date:
    9/15
    Start Weight:
    Current Weight:
    Goal Weight:
    Hi Lorri - I am 2 1/2 years post bypass and I have had a very hard time taking weight off, let alone regaining some. I started out at 443 and am now 336, a very disappointing number when I had expected to lose so much more. I have slowly started to regain weight as well, and feel frightened and alone. I find myself eating emotionally, which was my tendency before surgery, and although I seem to be aware of this negative behavior I am unable (or unwilling) to stop it. I am also concerned that I have restretched my stomach to pre-surgery size, making it possible to eat enough to sustain significant weight gain. It's nice to know that I am not all by myself in battling this phenomenon.

4. Lorri Barnes

Lorri Barnes New Member

Surgery Type:
    Gastric Bypass
    Surgery Date:
    12/10/2004
    Start Weight:
    Current Weight:
    Goal Weight:
    You are not alone. I am also a stress eater and I find myself doing nothing but eating lately. A lot of stress going on in my life right now and I just eat constantly just for the sake of eating. I am maintaining my 220-230 weight, because even though I eat constantly, I still can only eat small portions. And I cannot do sweets at all, they upset my stomach still, so that is a good thing for me I guess. I want to get back down under 200 just not sure how to do it.

5. Anniekg

Anniekg New Member

Surgery Type:
    Lap Band
    Surgery Date:
    Start Weight:
    Current Weight:
    Goal Weight:
    I am 10 years post lap band. My goal was 130 from 217. I got down to 131. I will never forget being in the doctors office feeling like a failure because I was not at 131. Today I am sitting close to what I started at. I believe food is an addiction for me. I now have to somehow pull myself up and start all over again. I guess my lesson in this is to not allow old habits to creep in.

6. Lynda

Lynda New Member

Surgery Type:
    Rony
    Surgery Date:
    9-13-00
    Start Weight:
    Current Weight:
    Goal Weight:
    I am 17 years out and originally lost 110 pounds and now have gained back about 50! I have tried eating right and not getting any where. I finally found out I am not getting any where near enough protein. I have just been struggling to get it up to 60 grams a day and found out that is just to maintain. For me I need between 60 and 110 grams a day. I have lost all my muscle mass and I am in a lot of pain. So now on to the recommended protein shakes from the hospital and counting all my protein! So hopefully that will be the trick and long as my body doesn't think it is starving maybe I will be able to lose and get rid of the Pain. Hope this helps you too!

7. Kathy Rabar

Kathy Rabar New Member

Surgery Type:
    Gastric Bypass
    Surgery Date:
    11/16/2016
    Start Weight:
    Current Weight:
    Goal Weight:
    HELP!! I am 1 year out this month. I have completely lost my way. I'm caving to cravings, probably not getting enough of any of the requirements, gaining weight, and I'm totally in a panic!! I had this surgery because I am diabetic. I only had about 90lbs to lose. I never reached my goal of 130 and never was able to get off my insulin. I have a 1 year follow up with dr. but i know he's going to say look what you've done and scold me. The weird thing is I had the Rouen. After surgery I never had pain. Was able to eat anything with no repercussions. I never even felt like I had the surgery. This makes it harder for me to stay on diet. Can anyone offer any ideas? Just do it doesn't help me.