• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Gallbladder issues??

NanaG67

Good morning. I know it's been a while since I posted on here. I feel that it's time to talk about the gallbladder. How many of you have had your gallbladder taken out since your surgery? How long after surgery did you have it done? What kind of symptoms did you have?

I go see my surgeon on Monday to discuss my pouch issues and have my long overdue 3 month evaluation. I am having trouble with food in general. Everything I eat makes me feel sick to my stomach and I have pain just below my sternum. I eat what I can, but sometimes that means 1 or 2 bites and I am done because of the pain or nausea.:confused:

Nana,

I was on medication to prevent gall bladder disease but had such bad side effects that they took me off of it. I was told that people who lose weight fast often develop gall bladder disease. Pain, nausea and vomiting are prime symptoms. People I have cared for describe the pain as being in left shoulder, mid sternum, or right sided kind of under the ribcage. My Mother had her pain where yours is and she had extreme nausea. My Dad had no pain whatsoever, he just turned yellow due to a blockage of bile by a stone. I was told usually within six months if you were going to have that problem. Two of my cousins lost tons of weight on the Metabolic program where you drink shakes all the time and they both had to have their gall bladders removed. A couple of people at my Bariatric Center have also had theirs removed who had WLS done by my doctor. They both did not tolerate the medication to prevent the problem. Even with the medication there is still a chance of developing problems because what it does is dissolve stones and it takes a while for it to work once you have developed them.

Glad you are getting your check up and hope you get some help.

Joy

i had my gallbllder out 20 year's ago and that wasn't an issue with this. but when i came to it comeing out i remember the pain wosre then haveing a child. my bypass is less pain and i am a big winnie when it come's to pain u can ask everyone who know's me lol. i feel good so far and happy about what i had done.

denise you had your surgery on Nov 1, hwne did you come home and how are you feeling? Pain, nausea etc.

hi Sandi i am great belve it or not, when it come's to pain i am a winnie lol. i have been feeling real good went out today and had a nice walk around the doctor's building, then i came home had a shake and am thinking of a nap, got cold and need to warm up.i had a lot of support before i had this done and am still getting that same support, i think that is what has made a difference for me.keep me filled in on how ur doing ur's is comeing up soon just keep in mind why u are doing this, i think that is the best advice i can give i am not an expert on this and will never clam to be. good luck ,i am here if u need to talk.

Nana, My friend who had to have her gall bladder out said she thought she was having a heart attack. She took an aspirin and called an ambulance!
I know I have stones from a previous xray, so I'm going to ask to have mine taken out at the same time as WLS.]I'm sorry you're feeling bad, but your weight loss is impressive!

Thank you everyone. I went to the doctor today. The nurse practitioner saw me. She poked around on my stomach, asked me a bunch of questions, then decided before we start running test to try some changes in my diet. First she feels that I may have a stricture, but also wants to rule out stomach virus. She also thinks that I may be eating too much food, so we are going backwards. She said to go on full liquids for 2-4 days, then to soft foods for another 2-4 days and if my pouch can handle it, then solid food. Not to have more than a 1/2 cup for my entire meal. She said if I was still hurting then I am to come back on Monday to get checked out again. They may have to do a sonogram to check the gallbladder or another EGD. I'll keep you posted.

I know that one of the pre-op tests that I will have will be to check my gallbladder. The doctor has said that if it needs to come out he will take it out when I have the surgery.

Carol

When I had my EGD before surgery, they said my gallbladder was fine, but I had a hiatal hernia. They repaired that during surgery. But what I am feeling right now, is burning pain, and it hurts just below the sternum. I am on full liquids, but did have to break down and have a taco today because I was grocery shopping with my sister and we were both feeling sick, from not eating all day, so we stopped and I had a simple taco. Not sure if that made me sick or not, but I was feeling horrible later in the day. So dinner tonight was cream of mushroom soup. I need some protein, so will cook up a few eggs later.

Nana i am glad u got checked out and do hope it all goes well with u keep us updated. all the best being sent ur way, may the angel's shine on u and keep u safe.

My friend had her Gall bladder out a year after by pass. But then I have another friend who lost hers the Jenny Craig diet. I think its sometimes a matter of weight lost, some can process food better other can't. So far I am able to eat what I am suppose to and don't get sick. But I have decided not to add red meats back into my diet ever, Its harder to digest. So I too heard it was very painful, hope never find out. : )

Back