• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Gallbladder removal with bypass

AnnieLuv

Hi! New to forum. Have surgery date but was told by scheduler that they would also be taking my gallbladder out. First time I'm hearing of this! She said my ultrasound showed one gallstone but it's asymptomatic. Anyone else had this happen?

Hi! New to forum. Have surgery date but was told by scheduler that they would also be taking my gallbladder out. First time I'm hearing of this! She said my ultrasound showed one gallstone but it's asymptomatic. Anyone else had this happen?
Yes. They took my gallbladder out and found seven stones in it. Aside from the bile that I had to get out of my body over the first few days, there have been no problems related to that. And it actually is a common procedure, to do the two surgeries at once. I had to have an open procedure because of it, though. Do you know if you're going to have laparoscopic or open?

It was going to be laproscopic but now that you mention it, they might be doing it open. I've read that's a lot more recovery time. I think I'll call them. They really took me by surprise.

Get the gallbladder removed! I had Gastric Bypass 17 years ago and did not have gallbladder removed. 1 year after surgery I ended up in the hospital with emergency gallbladder surgery. It was horrible.

Thanks all! The paperwork I just received says laproscopic still so fingers crossed :). I am coming to terms with the gallbladder removal.

Hi Annie,

Congratulations, laparoscopic surgery is so much easier to recover from. And the gallbladder removal at the same time is a blessing!!! I had been having misdiagnosed "attacks" for over a decade until a final one this past July that called for emergency surgery. It's not worth waiting until possibly becoming symptomatic, especially since your surgeon will be right there to easily remove it now. Best of luck with everything. :)

Back