• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Gas/Bloating/Nauseau etc-Sweeteners- Stevia, Monk Fruit, Sugar, Sugar Alcohol, Aguava, Sucrose, Aspertame

Fosgate

Hitting my 2nd year post op soon and thought I would share my learning experience with these.

It did not take long for me to find my way to the Sugar Free stuff in the grocery store and thinking they were ok for me. Over a year went by and dismissed some of the stomach cramps, gas, bloating and food just not staying with me very long to absorb the maximum amount of nutrients. I soon found the root of the problem after trying some of the "Zero Sugar" candy and figured out what sugar alcohols truly were doing to my gut. I thought Monk Fruit, Stevia and Agave options would be fine. Again, no way. I'm not sure about monk fruit entirely because there is usually other stuff included that upset my gut.

I finally eliminated those items after a little bit of research. I opted instead for items with Sucrose (Splenda), Aspartame, or even something that has a decent serving with less than 10g of plain old sugar and isn't like a juice or frosting etc. I then added a probiotic and also some yogurt at some point of my day. Since then my gut feels so much more normal. Splenda, Sweet and low, Aspartame, (Sucrose, Sucralose etc)have all been gentle on my stomach.

Anyway, thought I would share if people out there might be struggling and consuming these items. Few documents I had found.

Sugar Alcohols
Agave
Monk Fruit
Stevia

Oh my gosh, I thought I was the only one to experience problems from sugar free foods, drinks! The difference for me is that Stevia is the only thing I CAN tolerate. My doc had me move to low sugar Greek yogurt and I avoid everything else that’s sugar free. Good luck to you!!

Back