• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Gastric Sleeve coming up!

FurbyGurl

Hello friends!

I'm new here and just finding my way around

I've been waiting for months and still have to wait until May. So much they make us do for this and the surgeon is slammed.

I cannot wait!
I what's your favorite protein drink?

I'm using unjury right now but going to try a few others out.

Hi!
I'm new too.
I started my journey back in September 2018 when I was diagnosed with a huge ventral hernia, and the surgeon suggested a weight loss program. I started the program in
November 2018, as it took that long to get in.
I had started a diet on my own in July 2018. Initial weight 293.8# @ 5' 1".
Doing well on diet! Currently 236.4#. I'm getting frustrated with all the prep consults, etc.
It seems when I near the finish line to schedule surgery, there's something else. It's very
costly for me, as I'm responsible for 20% of everything...adds up quickly on a fixed SS income! Some of it seems "money grabby" to me?!?!? Had a multitude of labs, education, dietitian,primary doc, psych(she alone was a grand!), pulmonologist had to order sleep study per Medicare??? WHY?...sleep study is my hang up now...
No respiratory issues or diagnoses...was to have a split sleep study, but she didn't do it, she said I'll have to go back??? Have to see pulmonologist again Friday for results. I sleep like a baby.Just seeing $$$$$$$$$$$$$$ ...I'll see what they say?
I have no comorbidities but hyperlipidemia, and psoriatic arthritis.
I know this stuff is necessary, and I'm determined to do this so I can have my hernia repair and abdominal wall reconstruction! ...but its frustrating as I'm excited to do this ASAP!
Have been trying protein shakes, finding one's I like. I like Premier Protein so far...kind of tastes sweet, so dont know how my tolerance will be post-op.Not drinking 30 minutes before, with, and after meals.Keeping it at 1000 calories. Have been taking Biotin for months preparing for hair loss. Doing Multivitamin, etc. Constipation is an issue, but might be my hernia...
Dulcolax stool softener helps some...
Thanks for listening. I'm looking forward to support , ideas, and info from all!!
Hang tight FurbyGurl...we have to keep our eyes on our prize!

I am new to this site as well. I seem to be very fond of Premier protein drinks. In one of our nutrition classes, I was told that once we have our surgery our tastes might change so don't always expect to like the same flavor or brand. I have my pre op appointment scheduled for next month and I am so excited and so nervous at the same time. It is very frustrating that you have to go through so many test and hoops to get to where you need to be but unfortunately it is required by most insurance companies and in reality it is good to know if you are dealing with any health issues before surgery. Another recommendation that we were given is to use a bariatric vitamin instead of a regular multivitamin. I need to start looking for one now.

I'm not sure why your having to do a sleep study UNLESS now your BMI is lower because of your weight loss and won't meet requirements now. So they. Eed to find a new reason to make you eligible for Insurance coverage. You can thank the insurance companies for making you have to go through all the pre-op stuff. They hope people won't do it the longer they drag it out. I read a research study commerical insurance take 100 - 200 days to approve weightless surgery. Best of luck and hold on it will happen. Great work with the weight loss.

Hi!
I'm new too.
I started my journey back in September 2018 when I was diagnosed with a huge ventral hernia, and the surgeon suggested a weight loss program. I started the program in
November 2018, as it took that long to get in.
I had started a diet on my own in July 2018. Initial weight 293.8# @ 5' 1".
Doing well on diet! Currently 236.4#. I'm getting frustrated with all the prep consults, etc.
It seems when I near the finish line to schedule surgery, there's something else. It's very
costly for me, as I'm responsible for 20% of everything...adds up quickly on a fixed SS income! Some of it seems "money grabby" to me?!?!? Had a multitude of labs, education, dietitian,primary doc, psych(she alone was a grand!), pulmonologist had to order sleep study per Medicare??? WHY?...sleep study is my hang up now...
No respiratory issues or diagnoses...was to have a split sleep study, but she didn't do it, she said I'll have to go back??? Have to see pulmonologist again Friday for results. I sleep like a baby.Just seeing $$$$$$$$$$$$$$ ...I'll see what they say?
I have no comorbidities but hyperlipidemia, and psoriatic arthritis.
I know this stuff is necessary, and I'm determined to do this so I can have my hernia repair and abdominal wall reconstruction! ...but its frustrating as I'm excited to do this ASAP!
Have been trying protein shakes, finding one's I like. I like Premier Protein so far...kind of tastes sweet, so dont know how my tolerance will be post-op.Not drinking 30 minutes before, with, and after meals.Keeping it at 1000 calories. Have been taking Biotin for months preparing for hair loss. Doing Multivitamin, etc. Constipation is an issue, but might be my hernia...
Dulcolax stool softener helps some...
Thanks for listening. I'm looking forward to support , ideas, and info from all!!
Hang tight FurbyGurl...we have to keep our eyes on our prize!
I just signed up here. Been on the road to gastric sleeve since Jan 2019 (surgery in June). You did great losing weight on your own! Congrats!

I too drink the Premier Protein. So am also having the constipation, but the doctor said it is due to the high amount of protein, so that is pretty normal I guess. I miss daily poops! LOL I only am given 2 protein drinks, a meat protein and a vegetable a day (less than 700 cal a day), so I can understand why there isn't much moving down there, I just drink lots of water and take the stool softeners.

Wow, that is a weird diet. I only have time to say hi and welcome then I am off to other important things. Soon somebody will show up and comment on your post.

Hi welcome to the group. I started my journey for the gastric bypass about 2 months ago. But my process was faster because my doctor and have be talking about the surgery for awhile and she had sent for all the needed tests already. I have the 2 classes to do and then I am ready. Of course I was dieting since 2015 on a high protein low carb diet. I lost and gained it back. I started at 736lbs and right now I am 600lbs. I have a doctor appointment tomorrow for weight check but that is another day. I am still doing everything like I did before, besides trying some of the protein drinks to get a taste for them. But the process to surgery is what will make you stronger. They are just pushing mine faster because my weight is so much and I have problems with my back, hips, knee, and feet. Just keep your head up they will get you in there.

Back