• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Gastric sleeve with barretts esophagus/

kdeec

I go for my very 1st appt tomorrow with a dietician because of my diabetes. I really would like the vertical gastrectomy but was told by a friend that because I have barretts esophagus that may not be possible. Does anyone know if this is true? Would I be able to have any surgery? Does anyone know?

Hi Kdeec, Welcome. That's a tough question. Have you gone to a seminar or spoken with the bariatric cooridinator or doctors? Good luck and come back and let us know what you find out. :cool: Tom

Barretts Esophogus- Sleeve will not be done is my information because the Sleeve can cause GERD and you do not want GERD with Barretts' Esophogus as much as possible. I have GERD withoiut Barretts and they will have to do RNY and not Sleeve due to this GERD. That is what I have been told by doc and my research. OTHERWISE Sleeve is faster, safter and has similar results, only one draw back and that is it is PERMANENT but redoing a RNY is NOT easy, so consider it permanent. Talk to your surgeon about Sleeve vs RNY.

Back