• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Gastric Sleeve

Hi Susan--
The length of time you're in the hospital is dependent on how your surgery goes and what the standard set by your surgeon. I've found on this site--surprisingly--that everything varies greatly based on the protocol of the local hospitals. I was told to expect to spend one night in the hospital, but if you read some of the other posts you see longer stays. Keep in mind some people had more than just VGS, like gall bladder removal or hernias fixed.
If all else fails, rely on what your surgical team says.

Im having gastric bypass. My surgeon told me one night as long as there are no complications and I am drinking. He said some people like to stay another night for the help, but if things are going well for me, I want to go home.

I had the sleeve not quite a month ago. I spent one night in the hospital. As long as you are able to get up and move around, your pain is well managed, and you start drinking water and protein drinks and keeping it down, they will usually let you go after a night. If there are any complications, they will keep you until said complications resolve, of course. The sleeve is a fairly straight forward and quick procedure, so usually, it's just a single night.

Im having gastric bypass. My surgeon told me one night as long as there are no complications and I am drinking. He said some people like to stay another night for the help, but if things are going well for me, I want to go home.
I'm betting you'll be out of there in 1 night. My team said 1-2 nights, also dependent on drinking & walking. I was hell-bent to do all I could so that I could go home after 1. I walked around that ward all night long to make sure each nurse saw me and could vouch for me. :) You have the same determination. Healing goes much better at home where you can actually sleep and feel comfortable.

I am 72. Is it too late for me...? I have been anorexic, I have been for many years able to keep the weight off by running, aerobics, spinning. I have been able to keep some off while renovating several houses...then 2 new hip replacements and a rebuilt right ankle. I have settled at 183 lbs BUT I am only 5'0" . I have tried (I guess not enough) and I really don't want to not feel like an age appropriate good looking mature woman.

We have a member here who had surgery at 74. I am 69 and I wouldn't do it now unless I was a hundred pounds overweight and had. But you sound very fit, like you are very active. If you consider yourself strong and if you are able to follow a sane eating plan for the rest of your life, go for it. Age doesn't really have it that much to do with it but the medical facility and your insurance may balk. If they approve you conditionally and you have the necessary tests to show that your body can handle it, then there's no reason why you shouldn't have exactly what you want. I am just like you. I do not want to look age appropriate. Check out my photo albums, if you can get in. Sometimes it seems like people can't view them because they're locked. https://www.americanbariatrics.org/before-and-after-bariatric-pics/diane-2004-2008.721/

Back