• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

General chat

I am honestjuls I had surgery on the 31st of July ive lost 20lbs so far it's slow going but I'm getting into the groove of how to eat it's not bad so far,. But those premier protein shakes gives me the runs so I stopped drinking them I bought slimfast smoothie instead I use it once a day for breakfast things are not going so smoothly,. I had to go to the infusion clinic at the hospital yesterday because I've been dehydrated for 1 week but I'm feeling better trying to drink 40 oz so that I'm not dehydrated again,. But I feel that getting the bypass was the best thing I could have ever done,. I hope that over the next coming weeks and months I start loosing regularly.

juls, welcome. Please continue to maintain close contact with your providers. Dehydration is serious & can cause permanent kidney damage, not to mention kill ya. We support you here but you need more hands-on healing. And you need to pump those fluids in, or it'll come from a plastic bag hanging on an IV pole next to your hospital bed! Take care of yourself, kid, like you're doing. But do it better.

Welcome @honestjuls. Wishing you the best. Sips is best----all day long; that's the recommended and best way to get fluids in. Protein intake is needed as well; hope you can find a protein shake/drink that works for you. Perhaps look at the store connected to this forum to see what their protein drinks offer. Please keep in touch so we can know how you're doing.

Welcome @honestjuls. Wishing you the best. Sips is best----all day long; that's the recommended and best way to get fluids in. Protein intake is needed as well; hope you can find a protein shake/drink that works for you. Perhaps look at the store connected to this forum to see what their protein drinks offer. Please keep in touch so we can know how you're doing.
Thanks,. I'm actually not feeling the best tonight my stomach hurts and 8ve not eaten anything that I shouldn't but I guess it just happens or I'm having sympathy pains for my step mom she had this surgery but she's one stage ahead of me and they came to see us today but she stayed at the motel because she's had a little bit of dumping syndrome,. I just have a bad headache and my son won't sleep and he has school tomorrow it's his 1st day back he's in the 6th grade so I'm up with him trying to get him to rest maybe it's just stress I don't know. Hope tomorrow will be a better day. Juls

I am honestjuls I had surgery on the 31st of July ive lost 20lbs so far it's slow going but I'm getting into the groove of how to eat it's not bad so far,. But those premier protein shakes gives me the runs so I stopped drinking them I bought slimfast smoothie instead I use it once a day for breakfast things are not going so smoothly,. I had to go to the infusion clinic at the hospital yesterday because I've been dehydrated for 1 week but I'm feeling better trying to drink 40 oz so that I'm not dehydrated again,. But I feel that getting the bypass was the best thing I could have ever done,. I hope that over the next coming weeks and months I start loosing regularly.
Hi HonestJuls! I’d say your completely on track, having lost 20lbs since July 31! Are you still on full liquids or have you started the puréed food? Do you exercise? Have you had much pain the last few weeks? I had my bypass last week, having some moderate pain, some stretching & pulling feelings that my dr says are normal. I have 2 celebrate shakes a day, with 2 protein waters or broth, and 3-4 8 oz glasses of water. I hope I don’t become tired of or dismayed at the daily grind of liquids, but it’s just for another 8 days. Then it’s onto the puréed food. I’m going to start with baby food though.
Do you feel your strength is back? How is your support group around you? What’s your goal weight?
Love to hear back from you. Welcome to the site, I think you’ll find it helpful and another tool in your toolbox of knowledge!

Hi HonestJuls! I’d say your completely on track, having lost 20lbs since July 31! Are you still on full liquids or have you started the puréed food? Do you exercise? Have you had much pain the last few weeks? I had my bypass last week, having some moderate pain, some stretching & pulling feelings that my dr says are normal. I have 2 celebrate shakes a day, with 2 protein waters or broth, and 3-4 8 oz glasses of water. I hope I don’t become tired of or dismayed at the daily grind of liquids, but it’s just for another 8 days. Then it’s onto the puréed food. I’m going to start with baby food though.
Do you feel your strength is back? How is your support group around you? What’s your goal weight?
Love to hear back from you. Welcome to the site, I think you’ll find it helpful and another tool in your toolbox of knowledge!
I'm on the pureed soft food stage I can't go to any support group because I just don't have the money to pay my clinic for the support groups my strength is coming back little by little and my goal weight is 200 I'm shooting for 190 though if I can,. I had a bad night I think it was something I ate because I was nauseated most of the night and today I've had some yes sipping soups and I had some peppermint tea with my iberogast I have gastroparesis it extends up my esophagus as well it's not as bad as it used to be, I looked at the shop yesterday and it was a good experience.ill have to look at the toolbox as well.

I'm on the pureed soft food stage I can't go to any support group because I just don't have the money to pay my clinic for the support groups

Your clinic charges folks to attend support groups? That seems very wrong to me. That resource should be available to everyone who needs it, regardless of insurance and situation.

What about Overeaters Anonymous meetings? I've been to a few in the past and while it's not specifically geared toward weight loss surgery patients, attendees are in various stages with their food addictions. Chances are likely that there are attendees who have had WLS and attend to keep their eating discorder/addiction in check.

I know for a fact that these are free. They have face-to-face and online meetings: Find a Meeting - Overeaters Anonymous

Welcome to the group. I am new as well. The support group attached to my doctor is more than an hour and a half away from me. I can not attend this group regularly due to the distance and the fact that I care for my mom. So, I too am looking for a support group closer to me that meets during the week, during the day preferably. I may check out overeaters Anonymous too. I have found members here very supportive and there is a lot of great information. Best wishes to you.

Welcome to the group. I am new as well. The support group attached to my doctor is more than an hour and a half away from me. I can not attend this group regularly due to the distance and the fact that I care for my mom. So, I too am looking for a support group closer to me that meets during the week, during the day preferably. I may check out overeaters Anonymous too. I have found members here very supportive and there is a lot of great information. Best wishes to you.
Cyndy and others!! I am definitely grateful my community has support groups in my area, just 20 min away. And we meet twice a month in the evenings. Every patient should be given this, what I think, necessity. In fact, our surgeons require 1 yr of post surgery group meets. What I like about them is although it’s a classroom-size crowd, it feels individualized. Anyone can begin the meeting and tell their own story. It unveils the good and bad associated with each surgery- some with terrifying experiences, some with an easy as pie attitude. Through these meetings, there are even smaller groups that get together- for exercise (it’s held at a RecPlex) or to talk over protein shakes, some even grocery shop together.
It should be available to all, and if not in rural areas, then a local e-meeting should be a choice. We should advocate for it! Get people in your areas to sign petitions to make insurance companies pay or provide free meetings! After all, a successful surgery may lead to a successful aftermath! And we all deserve the same odds!

My surgeon is only 25 minutes from me, however, the hospital that he does the surgeries at is an hour and 45 minutes away. The support group and dietician are located in the same area as the hospital.
My surgeon requires attendance at least once to both the support group and the dietician before surgery. (I am still jumping insurance hoops). At the information seminar there were others who had come from even further than myself.
I have done several internet searches for local and semi-local meetings within thirty minutes of me. I have not found one. Maybe I am using the wrong key terms in my search.
I agree with you that support is imperative for success. Any suggestions?

Thanks I know a support group would be benefited from but I'm moving to southern Utah I have no idea what they have down there. But my step mom supports me all the time.

Hi all I'm doing good, my blood sugars have gone from diabetic to pre diabetic but their so low my nutritionist is worried about it so I go see her tomorrow afternoon, I know that I get shaky a lot especially when I don't eat much which is all the time I know they emphasize snacks but I just have no idea what to fix for snacks I don't have nuts or much cheese items but I'm trying my sister's did at one time by me snack foods then they stopped doing that. I exercise 4 days a week I used to exercise 5 to 6 days a week but I'm so suseptible to any illness that comes in my home, like now I'm fighting a virus I think I got it kicked then I start chilling again so it's a constant struggle. But on a bright side my niece and nephew are speaking again they are brother and sister they were fighting but since my nephew is moving in the roy address in February it's going to take my current landlord that long to fix the house withwhats wrong with it. Have a great day

I'm trying to accept the things I cannot change, and I'm hoping that I'm not whining about them. And today I went out and did some good and I'm going to look into some volunteer opportunities so I can give back. I always want to think I'm a nice person but the fact is I haven't done anything for anybody for about 35 years. It's past time for me to payback all the wonderful people who have helped me.

Where in S. Utah are you moving? Although, I’m not from there I have been told they have a good medical system there. You might call the local hospital and look online for support groups in the area you are moving to. Sometimes it’s good to have the support of non family members who have experienced or are experiencing what you are going through with your wls. Best wishes to you!

Back