• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

German Brotchen- Little Bread rolls

Fosgate

Oh many I missed Schittle Brotchen from when I was in Germany in the 90's. I think the closest I could ever find here is the states is maybe a Baguette. In Germany those little bread rolls were used from everything to stuffing a bratwurst with red cabbage or sauerkraut to whatever meat, or cheese you could stuff on it or eat it just simply plain. They were so good, I would often buy several and just eat the brotchen. I used to order them through bavariansausage.com which imported them from Munich GE and the were frozen and you'd just finish the last few minutes in the oven of the baking process. Friends loved them but still not quite as good when you get one fresh in the morning in Germany. Anyway, with recent events in my life health wise I decided I'm making my own breads. First up, Brotchen. Here is a recipe I found that is pretty spot on.

Here is one recipe I have tried that turned out good and when they talk about malt, you can order what they have there on amazon or you can hit up your local brew supply if you have a flour mill on your kitchenaid mixer. As a home brewer that also has a mill for my mixer and also a seprate mechanical mill for my home brewing I opted to pickup a small bag of Malted Chocolate Barley (very dark) and also live yeast. I picked up WY3068 Weihenstephan Weizen Yeast from Wyeast as it is a common yeast I use in making German Hefeweizen (wheat) beer which is one of the oldest beers in Germany after the German Beer Laws were enacted. Turned out great.
https://mygerman.recipes/authentic-german-rolls-broetchen/

Alternatively I have also made this one that is probably closer to what I had on a regular basis in Germany and does not require any special grains, yeasts or tools.
https://www.recipesfromeurope.com/brotchen/
Of course for yeast you could always use sourdough and a longer set time to make it even easier on your digestion.

I found that these are my go to for bread and I can enjoy them plain when they are warm or later with a bit of Olive oil, Balsamic Vinegar and a bit of cracked pepper on a plate. Also great is slice them open, drizzle some olive oil, red wine vinegar, spear some pesto and couple slices of meat like pastrami on it for a great sandwich.

Attachments

• brotchen-german-buns.jpg
    brotchen-german-buns.jpg
    238 KB · Views: 74
Back