• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Getting bypassed in 36hrs

I don’t even know where to start…
  1. I’ve been working towards this since July (4 mos)
  2. I am type 2 Diabetic and had a complete thyroidectomy
  3. I don’t know a single person that has had any type of weight loss surgery… which could be good and bad :/
Looking for some best tips / encouragement/ reassurance… thank you

Hi By, I had Graves Disease, which is the most common form of hyperthyroidism. The symptoms are rampant and I don't even want to describe to you the dozens of types of pains and dysfunctions I went through while my thyroid gland was going insane. The thyroid gland is almost as dominant as the pituitary and regulates so many bodily functions, chief among them being virtually unable to burn calories in food. So you just gain and gain and gain weight and your eyes bulge out of their sockets because of a condition called exophthalmus which comes along with it. Think of the comedian Marty Feldman, who played Igor in Young Frankenstein. He had Graves and his exophthalmus never went away.

Well, my eyes bulged and I was burning up all the time from the overactivity of my thyroid gland and on and on. I had my thyroid gland irradiated, which killed it, so I have no thyroid function and have to take thyroid hormone every day just to have something close to normal metabolism.

Etc. etc. I gained more than 100 pounds, going from 140 to 239 to 269 (I stayed off the scale but my clothes talked to me and of course, at doctor visits, it was documented. Many other bad things followed and I became suicidal. I'd always been slim and sexy, had to fight off men with a baseball bat, until I gained weight. Then only losers wanted to be with me--chubby chasers and generally obnoxious men who thought they could manipulate me blah blah blah...

So I finally had RYGB 17 years ago. I lost 115 pounds and looked fantastic. My entire personality changed, I gained confidence, yet developed strong boundaries against the kind of man who just wanted to use me because he figured I'd be too desperate to say no. I'm gonna attach a before and after so you can see for yourself. But you should be seeing a licensed therapist or psychiatrist and talking about this issue, especially because of your thyroid surgery and the devastating after-effects.

It has to be your decision, but make sure you're really giving yourself a chance no matter what you choose. I am completely thrilled that I decided to have the Big Surgery because it stopped all kinds of comorbidities in their tracks. Everyone in my family develops heart disease or high blood pressure and those who have died mostly died from stroke. Some of my relatives survived stroke but became completely disabled on one side of their body.

Do a lot of research, not just in this group, but using the American Bariatric Association site and its links to more sites, as well as the CDC and other federal health sites. It's NOT a good choice for everyone, but it is for the majority of people who choose surgery for weight loss.

It was the best choice I ever made for my health. I would very likely be dead if I hadn't made the decision to have the surgery. But it has its drawbacks, too, which is why you should get medical, factual information in addition to our success stories. We are here to be a support group for people who choose the surgical path. And some people here HAVE had negative results. That's just a fact, as it would be with any medical procedure. But IMO, the progress that's been made over the last 50 years has made this one of the most performed surgeries in the US.

But you have to take the psychological ramifications into consideration. It's a holistic procedure that causes many many changes in your body, mostly good. And personally, it's been fantastic for my health, looks and mental outlook--especially my self-esteem. No one ever guesses I'm 72. My decision to change my life gave me youth as well as protection for my cardiovascular system and stronger lungs and more stamina.

Now, go look for the negatives. You need to see the entire story, including how it might have bad effects on your own ego and motivations.

1700364930416.jpeg

1700365121028.jpeg

1700365179124.jpeg

1700365389845.jpeg

Tips:

Give yourself plenty of time to heal. Everyone heals at their own pace.

Research what to expect. There are a ton of posts here and its easy to search through them. Worried about hair loss? It's here. Haven't lost as much as you think you should be losing? It's here. You can always just ask. But we're not "live" so for an immediate answer, just search. You'll find we discuss it all. In depth.

Follow your teams guidelines, regardless of what anyone else did or didn't have to do. Medical advice given by medical professionals is better than any random person. Do doctors occasionally give bad advice? Yes. Second opinions should be gotten by another medical professional, not people on the internet with no verifiable credentials. Anything we say is an opinion, even if it happens to be true.

Encouragement/Reassurance
This is truly life-changing. It is just a tool, in the end. But in the beginning, it gives you fast results and a chance to really change your eating habits without your hormones screaming that you're starving.
I had the bypass at 50, in 2020. I lost 100lbs, 10 below my goal. 3 1/2 years out, I've gained back 5ish. I expected the statistical norms so I actually expected to lose a few less and to gain a few more.

Pre-Bypass My 1st time traveling out of the country, we went to Italy for our 10 year anniversary. Even with rest days built in, I had to skip the last half of the Vatican tour because I hurt so bad from all the walking. I was (and still am) devastated. I assumed that it was a once in a lifetime opportunity, and I blew it by being too fat to handle WALKING! It was as low as I've ever felt about myself.

This year we went to Paris and London for 2 weeks. (15 yr anniversary) I walked Everywhere. All Day. Every Day. I took the stairs (270) up to Sacre Coeur.I missed NOTHING. There is no longer anything holding me back. "I" am no longer holding myself back. It's the best feeling in the world.

You are going to be amazed by yourself!! Can't wait to hear your updates!!

Hi By, I had Graves Disease, which is the most common form of hyperthyroidism. The symptoms are rampant and I don't even want to describe to you the dozens of types of pains and dysfunctions I went through while my thyroid gland was going insane. The thyroid gland is almost as dominant as the pituitary and regulates so many bodily functions, chief among them being virtually unable to burn calories in food. So you just gain and gain and gain weight and your eyes bulge out of their sockets because of a condition called exophthalmus which comes along with it. Think of the comedian Marty Feldman, who played Igor in Young Frankenstein. He had Graves and his exophthalmus never went away.

Well, my eyes bulged and I was burning up all the time from the overactivity of my thyroid gland and on and on. I had my thyroid gland irradiated, which killed it, so I have no thyroid function and have to take thyroid hormone every day just to have something close to normal metabolism.

Etc. etc. I gained more than 100 pounds, going from 140 to 239 to 269 (I stayed off the scale but my clothes talked to me and of course, at doctor visits, it was documented. Many other bad things followed and I became suicidal. I'd always been slim and sexy, had to fight off men with a baseball bat, until I gained weight. Then only losers wanted to be with me--chubby chasers and generally obnoxious men who thought they could manipulate me blah blah blah...

So I finally had RYGB 17 years ago. I lost 115 pounds and looked fantastic. My entire personality changed, I gained confidence, yet developed strong boundaries against the kind of man who just wanted to use me because he figured I'd be too desperate to say no. I'm gonna attach a before and after so you can see for yourself. But you should be seeing a licensed therapist or psychiatrist and talking about this issue, especially because of your thyroid surgery and the devastating after-effects.

It has to be your decision, but make sure you're really giving yourself a chance no matter what you choose. I am completely thrilled that I decided to have the Big Surgery because it stopped all kinds of comorbidities in their tracks. Everyone in my family develops heart disease or high blood pressure and those who have died mostly died from stroke. Some of my relatives survived stroke but became completely disabled on one side of their body.

Do a lot of research, not just in this group, but using the American Bariatric Association site and its links to more sites, as well as the CDC and other federal health sites. It's NOT a good choice for everyone, but it is for the majority of people who choose surgery for weight loss.

It was the best choice I ever made for my health. I would very likely be dead if I hadn't made the decision to have the surgery. But it has its drawbacks, too, which is why you should get medical, factual information in addition to our success stories. We are here to be a support group for people who choose the surgical path. And some people here HAVE had negative results. That's just a fact, as it would be with any medical procedure. But IMO, the progress that's been made over the last 50 years has made this one of the most performed surgeries in the US.

But you have to take the psychological ramifications into consideration. It's a holistic procedure that causes many many changes in your body, mostly good. And personally, it's been fantastic for my health, looks and mental outlook--especially my self-esteem. No one ever guesses I'm 72. My decision to change my life gave me youth as well as protection for my cardiovascular system and stronger lungs and more stamina.

Now, go look for the negatives. You need to see the entire story, including how it might have bad effects on your own ego and motivations.

View attachment 5704
View attachment 5705
View attachment 5706

View attachment 5704
View attachment 5705
View attachment 5706

View attachment 5707

Hi Diane! Thank you for being so open about your health and your experience. Yes, the Thyroid was a tornado of side effects, and I was 23 at that time. Lifting weights, muscle focused.. and then a mass over took my thyroid and the whole thing was removed. Then within 4mos I was up 60lbs. I clearly didn’t understand my “new” body. Then the weight just kept coming… 220…245…270…300.

Diabetes came after having my son.. at 28yrs old. So I’m instead of continually putting more meds into my body, I told my MD that’s it’s time to start removing stuff. Yes, my family is also riddled with core morbidities, which is another reason.

I’m excited to hear about your self esteem elevating. I’m looking forward to the day I walk with my head a little higher.

Back