• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Getting ready for surgery April 4th

Ashley Stowers

Should I plan to have my fluid/meals at the same time every day since the sensation of feeling hungry is going to be gone? I am getting excited and little nervous but just ready to get things started!!

When I first started I would eat at the same time every day and drink constantly in-between meals, except for that 1/2 hour before and after, it felt like I was constantly either eating or drinking, it is hard at first to get the fluids in but you just keep at it and at first it will be hard to get your shakes in but it gets better, I would use a small medicine cup to drink my water and shake with, they are usually 2 ounces and it is an easy way to figure out how much you are eating and drinking

When I first started I would eat at the same time every day and drink constantly in-between meals, except for that 1/2 hour before and after, it felt like I was constantly either eating or drinking, it is hard at first to get the fluids in but you just keep at it and at first it will be hard to get your shakes in but it gets better, I would use a small medicine cup to drink my water and shake with, they are usually 2 ounces and it is an easy way to figure out how much you are eating and drinking
ok thank you for the reply..this is a life style change so I am just going to have to get used to it lol!!! I will def use the medicine cup that sounds like a really good idea! I am just trying to prepare myself.....13 days!!!! Its crazy but now I am starting to crave things I didn't even like before..I know its all in my head but I am trying to stay focused!!

ok thank you for the reply..this is a life style change so I am just going to have to get used to it lol!!! I will def use the medicine cup that sounds like a really good idea! I am just trying to prepare myself.....13 days!!!! Its crazy but now I am starting to crave things I didn't even like before..I know its all in my head but I am trying to stay focused!!
It is all worth it in the end and if you were like me, you have been watching what you ate for months, before I went on the liquid diet I decided I was going to eat crazy things at the end, but it didn't really happen because I couldn't, I filled up to quick, but now that I have had my surgery, and a few months out I realized you don't have to give up alot, I start with my meat and then there is not much room left for anything else

Should I plan to have my fluid/meals at the same time every day since the sensation of feeling hungry is going to be gone? I am getting excited and little nervous but just ready to get things started!!
I carry a water bottle around the house with me all the time and have one at my bedside. I, too, am constantly "sipping". I don't use the medicine cup but know to only take sips. I am on the full fluids now (9 days out). I sprinkle my Prilosec on sugar free pudding and have that when I wake up.... then a hour or so later I start my first protein shake, it is 11 ounces so it takes me a long time to finish it. Then water until a few hours later when I have soup, the immersion blender is my best friend. Then water again until evening when I start my second protein shake. It seems I am constantly sipping something. The only time I feel any hunger at all is the first thing in the morning, but it is mild..
good luck on your journey

I only used the medicine cup for about a week or two after surgery, it really helped because you can only take small sips at first and like I said you can keep a better count on how much you are drinking, when I was in the hospital the nurse gave me some to drink out of, I can't remember how many,but I had to drink so many of them in an hour, and that is how I kept track, and I also put my shakes in them because if you take to big of a sip you would feel really uncomfortable

Back