• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Getting ready

Can anyone recommend to me the best protein shake to buy, and vitamins? Name brands please. My surgery is in 34 days. thanks

Hello Nannybelle,

Congratulations, you are almost there. I will be having my surgery about 3 weeks after you and I am excited yet nervous. Anyways, I use the Premier Protein Shake which can be found online at www.premierprotein.com (which I absolutely LOVE). Premier Protein comes in flavors of Chocolate, Strawberry, or Vanilla. They are really good with none of that after taste.

Or there are the kinds you make yourself called UNJURY which can be found online at www.unjury.com. Now the difference between the two are UNJURY you mix with water (for first week after surgery) or lemonade after you have been cleared. They have tons of flavors like strawberry sorbet, chocolate, vanilla, CHICKEN soup flavor, and even Unflavored. They sell in packets or even by the tub. I am getting ready to start this but my doctors have stated this is one of the best items out there.

Good luck with your procedure. Let me know when you can on how you are doing.

Debbie

Thank you

Hi Debbie S. Thanks for your info. I will look into both shakes. I finally got my vitamins this week. I getting excited now too. I still wonder which exercises are best for the excess skin that I will most likely have once the weight comes off. How ever will I wear a bikini?? LOL! Thanks again and have a good weekend. Jan

Also try Isopure. See if you like it or not. Many people do and many people don't.

As to excess skin, I carry around 15 pounds of excess skin. You know what? That is fine. I am NOT carrying around 93 pounds of fat anymore!

The older you are the more difficult it is to tone the skin.

I know a few people on this support group site that have done a superb job getting the excess skin to contract as much as possible. But, your improved health is by far so much more important. Many of us simply live witgh the belly excess skin and the droopy underarms. So What! We have new energy, new stamina, etc., etc., I can go on and on.

Ralph

Thanks Ralph

Hi Ralph, Yes I agree with everything you said. I asked the question only because I figure I can try some exercise as I am losing the weight. I hope if I start as soon as possible I could tone some of it in the process. I have at least 200 to lose. We'll see. Thanks for your comments. Jan

Absolutely.

Do your best.

I just don't want to see you becoming overly concerned with the excess skin. The surgery to remove it can happen. However, it typically is NOT covered by insurance and the recovery period involves a fair amount of pain albeit we have good pain killers these days. I have thought about it but so far have let it go.

There are times when a medical condition can warrant removal of excess skin such as excessive rashes forming. with the amount of weight you will lose you might be able to make a case for medical reasons and be covered.

Good luck,

Ralph

i like the fusion protein mix i get my at the hospital gift shop or ebay has them as well fushion also has vitmans...
I have my last bundle the 24th when did u get your surgery date....
Good Luck

Getting excited

Hi Nancy, thanks for your input. I am having my surgery on 4/14. I am still researching the protein shakes. I bought my vitamins. I just bought the Shoprite Brand of each one. I trust them. Next I have to decxide what kind of exercises to do and keep the hanging skin at bay. Jan

Hi Nancy, thanks for your input. I am having my surgery on 4/14. I am still researching the protein shakes. I bought my vitamins. I just bought the Shoprite Brand of each one. I trust them. Next I have to decxide what kind of exercises to do and keep the hanging skin at bay. Jan

There is a wonderful lady in this forum that has posted many videos on exercise and her daily routine. She has lost 200 pounds and is maintaining now for several years and she really looks terrific. I set up a search to find her articles for you below. Her name is Linney. Take a tour of all her videos. This should give you and excellent set of exercises and also the motivation to know that you can drop a whole bunch of weight and get your body back into pretty good tone.

If this search doesn't work, simply set up an advanced search for Linney.

http://www.americanbariatrics.org/search.php?searchid=141

Ralph

There is a wonderful lady in this forum that has posted many videos on exercise and her daily routine. She has lost 200 pounds and is maintaining now for several years and she really looks terrific. I set up a search to find her articles for you below. Her name is Linney. Take a tour of all her videos. This should give you and excellent set of exercises and also the motivation to know that you can drop a whole bunch of weight and get your body back into pretty good tone.

If this search doesn't work, simply set up an advanced search for Linney.

http://www.americanbariatrics.org/search.php?searchid=141

Ralph

Oh yes, I agree with Ralph, that was a great idea recommending Linney's videos. They are terrific!!!

Linney also has many blogs that are great to read! Just click on BLOGS above.

Cheyenne :cool:

Just so you know I have asked my doctor about the excessive skin and he told me to wear spandex. As we are walking or working out the spandex actually helps hold you together a bit as your body starts shrinking.

I know curves has a body suit I bought my daughter one but I am also looking into other items as well. I know I don't want to be all floppy especially when I will finally be getting healthy.

Let me know if you find anything else out. I am also going to check out that video Ralph posted (thank you Ralph).

Thank you

Hi Debbie, Thank you for your reply. I have to laugh though, right now I can't see myself squeezing into spandex, much less finding something that could fit me (what a sight-LOL!). Looking ahead with a good attitude it is something to keep in mind and makes sense. I am researching right now the possibility of free skin removal surgery from Wounded Soldiers or Army VA or Burn Centers, to donate the skin. What do you think? Jan

Hi Debbie, Thank you for your reply. I have to laugh though, right now I can't see myself squeezing into spandex, much less finding something that could fit me (what a sight-LOL!). Looking ahead with a good attitude it is something to keep in mind and makes sense. I am researching right now the possibility of free skin removal surgery from Wounded Soldiers or Army VA or Burn Centers, to donate the skin. What do you think? Jan

Now that is a thought!

Please keep us all posted.

I also talked to a good friend.

There are teaching hospitals for plastic surgeon's that look for people to have these surgeries performed.

These are surgeon's already. They are moving into plastic surgery and are monitored by experienced surgeons , etc., etc., The cost is considerably less.

Ralph

Back