• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

getting started

Miranda36

Hello everyone. I am still trying to get started in the process of getting my surgery done. I have to stop smoking for 90 days and do all of the requirements before being able to schedule the surgery. I just do not even know what to do first besides quit smoking. I want to go ahead and start the diet but where do I begin? :confused:

Hello everyone. I am still trying to get started in the process of getting my surgery done. I have to stop smoking for 90 days and do all of the requirements before being able to schedule the surgery. I just do not even know what to do first besides quit smoking. I want to go ahead and start the diet but where do I begin? :confused:

Call your insurance and find out what their criteria is for surgery. Every insurance is different. They may want you to follow a weight loss plan for 6 months, usually by your primary care physician. He would give you a diet (usually high protein) Most insurances require this before surgery. Then there are tests to be done.

Good Luck!!!

Cheyenne

I know starting out can feel a bit overwhelming. For me, I am going through a weight management center that is in with the surgeon w. They gave me a detailed list of things I had to do before surgery including the 6 months of weight management. I also had to quit smoking. It was one of the hardest parts of this whole journey. But I know it is all worth it in the end. Start with the doctor and insurance company and find out what they require. And this group has also helped me in knowing what to expect when. It's a beg help.

Cheyenne,
Is it usual for a patient to have to go through 6 months of weight loss treatment before even starting the process?

Cheyenne,
Is it usual for a patient to have to go through 6 months of weight loss treatment before even starting the process?

Hi Jimmy! It all depends on your insurance rules. My insurance is United Healthcare and they said I had to go to a doctor specifically for weight loss (preferably my primary care doctor) one appointment a month for 6 months and be on a supervised diet and some type exercise regime. If any appointment was messed up then I would have to start over again. Also couldn't see the doctor for anything else at the same time, like a sickness etc. The appointment had to be exclusively about the weight loss program. The insurance had paperwork on what the doctor had to submit to them. I had to have this done within a year of the surgery, as I recall. Every insurance doesnt require this, but a great many do now. The VA may be totally different on what they require, you would probably have to investigate that yourself because they don't seem too willing to help you. I sure hope this all works out for you. :)

Cheyenne

Thanks Cheyenne,
Even though I am working with a VA doctor for weight loss now, they want me to start over in a 6 month MOVE program. You would think that since the VA itself says lifestyle changes are ineffective for someone my size they would stop wasting money on a program that doesn't work. I got the following paragraph from a VA report on obesity treatment.

There is no consensus regarding what is required for patients before considering bariatric surgery.
Numerous insurance companies require enrollment in a structured weight loss program for a prescribed
period of time before patients can be considered for these procedures. There is no evidence supporting
this practice, either as a legitimate preoperative criterion or as an effective means to prepare patients for
surgery

I'll go along with it but I am trying to get the EXACT requirements from my local hospital as they all have different guidelines. I don't want to wait 6 months and then find out I didn't meet one requirement I wasn't aware of.

GOOD LUCK MIRANDA36!!!! They sure make it difficult to get healthy. Too bad we don't have to go through all this nonsense to get the fake, quick weight loss systems that don't work.

Cheyenne,
My six month dietary classes were part of the process with the dieticians at the bariatric center. It was part of my insurance requirement (Cigna) but wasn't covered by the insurance, so I had to pay $30 each time. Go figure.
I just had a thought. Have you tried to connect on Facebook or other blogs with other veterans who have gone through WLS? You might get some solid information on what barriers they had to overcome.

Thanks Cheyenne,
Even though I am working with a VA doctor for weight loss now, they want me to start over in a 6 month MOVE program. You would think that since the VA itself says lifestyle changes are ineffective for someone my size they would stop wasting money on a program that doesn't work. I got the following paragraph from a VA report on obesity treatment.

There is no consensus regarding what is required for patients before considering bariatric surgery.
Numerous insurance companies require enrollment in a structured weight loss program for a prescribed
period of time before patients can be considered for these procedures. There is no evidence supporting
this practice, either as a legitimate preoperative criterion or as an effective means to prepare patients for
surgery

I'll go along with it but I am trying to get the EXACT requirements from my local hospital as they all have different guidelines. I don't want to wait 6 months and then find out I didn't meet one requirement I wasn't aware of.

GOOD LUCK MIRANDA36!!!! They sure make it difficult to get healthy. Too bad we don't have to go through all this nonsense to get the fake, quick weight loss systems that don't work.

Hi Jimmy,
Thats smart to get the exact requirements because thats so true you don't want them to pull some requirement at the last minute that they neglected to tell you about. I think it's a real shame you have to wait another 6 months to get the surgery.

I know starting out can feel a bit overwhelming. For me, I am going through a weight management center that is in with the surgeon w. They gave me a detailed list of things I had to do before surgery including the 6 months of weight management. I also had to quit smoking. It was one of the hardest parts of this whole journey. But I know it is all worth it in the end. Start with the doctor and insurance company and find out what they require. And this group has also helped me in knowing what to expect when. It's a beg help.

The insurance companies make it hard for a reason, they hope we won't go through with the surgery and it will save them money. If they were smart they would realize that the surgery will save them money in the long run when we become healthier.

Maybe not. My weight loss DR just left me a message. They are reconsidering my consult and might allow the 5 months I was treated by her to be enough. This is 1 day after being told her treatment would not qualify. ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG!!!!!
We'll see soon!

Maybe not. My weight loss DR just left me a message. They are reconsidering my consult and might allow the 5 months I was treated by her to be enough. This is 1 day after being told her treatment would not qualify. ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG!!!!!
We'll see soon!

Wow!!! That would be AWESOME!!!!!!! I sure hope they approve the treatment you have already received. Then you would almost be good to go. :cool:

Back