• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

going to start modifying my food intake

NanaG67

I have been so frustrated, I hear people talking about they have to do 800 calories daily to lose weight prior to surgery. I was never told that, just to modify certain foods I eat. Well I was looking at some papers that came from the doctor it has pre-op goals, I guess I really never paid attention to it, but now I really need to get on the ball. here is a rundown of what it says to do:

1. Portion control, use a small plate, no eating in front of the tv, computer or in the car.
2. Do not skip meals, have 3 balanced meals a day
3. Limit white starchy products
4. plan meals ahead of time (hard to do with 6 people in the house)
5. balance every meal with protein and produce
6. cut all food into small pieces and chew 20-30 times, putting fork down between each bite
7. research protein supplements
8. drink 48-64 oz daily and do not drink with your meals
9. Exercise, start slow and work your way up
10. take a multivitamin
11. Always keep a food log either using myfitnesspal or mypryamidtracker

Then there was a sheet for calorie distribution, but I was never told if I need to be on this.

Any suggestions?? I am probably about 6 weeks away from surgery, so do I need to start this now? I am calling my pcp tomorrow as I think I am getting bronchitis and I don't want to be sick later, I thought it was just a sinus infection, but trying to eliminate it now.
:confused:

Might as well start now, I don't remember getting anything that paper but my nutritionist did discuss all that with me and gave me a sample meal plan for pre op meals and a calorie sheet of common foods and potion sizes, I didn't get my big binder on what to do until my surgons consult then I got a whole rundown on when I had to start redused calorie high protien diet then liquid etc... I do think meal planning is the most difficult other than a food log, just because of trying to feed a family like you have to or if your on a felexed schedule like mine where evry day you could be working later than you think. :cool: Tom

Thanks Tom. I showed the paper to my daughter last night, and told her I needed her help. So she is going to help me all she can, but I know its going to be hard on both of us. She has 2 kids ages 2 & 5 and they are a handful, they are always wanting what I have and we have to keep moving things and hiding things to keep them out of stuff. When I had my first visit to the surgeon I only saw several nurses and his surgery partner. I don't even get to see the actual surgeon until May 24th. I just wish it would have went a little smoother like they told me, but you can't expect miracles when it comes to the doctor and the insurance.

Back