• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Grams of protein required

How many grams of protein are required each day?

Hello and welcome,

If you are going through this process your surgeon's team should have made several educational briefings to you by now.

If you haven't started then that is another thing. Please post your statistics. Tell us more.

Protein for a female is 60 grams per day.

For a male it is 80 grams a day. In the beginning, the first month of post op it will be very difficult to get all the liquids you need and the protein you need, but you do your best. By the end of month one you should be able to get enough liquid in and protein. We all end up using a protein shake to make sure in addition to the little food we will consume in the early go. I still supplement with a shake now and then.

I use Isopure grape protein drink (15g) and/or Premier Protein Shakes (30g)

dancinbr,
Thanks for the suggestions of protein drinks. Glad to see there are some that are not milk based, too.
Bendy

dancinbr,
Thanks for the suggestions of protein drinks. Glad to see there are some that are not milk based, too.
Bendy

There are protein drinks to be had.

Also, I drink plenty of milk 1% too. It gets me protein and calcium. I don't have to take the calcium as a result.

I also love cheese slices for calcium.

Back