• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Greetings from Ohio

Robynbluz

Greetings !!! This is a wonderful site .... I am so glad I found it .... I wish I had found it 3 yrs ago as I went through my second by-pass ...... a second by=pass you say ....... dig this ......

33 yrs ago (1979) I was one of the VERY first ( actually # 87 of 100) to have a bypass done in the state of Ohio ..... Dr. Lectner was experimenting with a new proceedure now known as Stomach stapeling ..... it worked but NOTHING was known about the outcome and risks at that time ..... I was one of the sucesses....but man was it rough going ..... no one knew about protien, vitamins, what to stay away from and how new digestion effected the body ..... I lost 250 lbs that time ...... and life went on ..... no followups no guidance ..... I had horrible stomach aches and digestion issues all those many years but no one ever checked my by=pass or understood it's ramifications ..... I gained a bit of my weight back ( about 100 lbs) but figured it was my comfortable weight ...... I was able to eat full meals again and living in New Orleans, I enjoyed a cajun ( rich and spicy) diet......

When Katrina hit ... I came home to Ohio ...... and proceeded to get very sick ..... and suffered from post tramatic stress disorder ...... which in turn was later diganosed as the trigger to Fibromyalgia ..... and I sat down .... I could barly move anymore.... my leggs had swollen, my body was in horrible pain and I started gaining weight at a horrible rate of speed .....

For 40 yrs I was a professional musician , on stage and proforming all over the south with my band ..... ( see www.myspace.com/robynbluz1 to hear some of my music) I am a writer with 15 copyrights in Library of Congress to my name and 2 DVD productions I filmed ..... I was a mover and shaker ..... I believe this kept my weight gain at a minimum through those years .....

But here I was unable to function and gaining weight all over again ....what a nightmare ......

Finally one of my doctors realized and picked up on the fact that I had had gastric surgery all those long years ago ..... his quote ...you had a by-pass , you should NOT be gaining weight .....
so testing and a look see ( tube down my throat) were done ......

Result .... the by-pass was all torn loose ..... no evidence of the proceedure , except left behind staples were present ......

On june 1st of 2009 .... I underwent Rue-N-Y surgery ( closest thing to the old stapeling) .... and the weight fell off ..... I lost 155 lbs and have been able to maintain my weight for 2 yrs now ..... and this time I feel I have total sucess ..... I am armed with knowledge that was not available back in the
70's .....

I have learned a lot and am most willing to answer any questions ...... If I can give support or help to anyone please feel free to call upon me .......

God Bless and keep on Rockin ......

Robyn Smiley

Back