• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Greetings from Southern California

Letrell

A little about me and why I'm here...

I just turned 54. Had RNY June 9, 2009. Depending on the day I weigh myself, I've lost between 187 and 193 lbs give or take a pound. I've been labeled "our greatest success" at the Naval Medical Center where the surgery was performed.

As anyone who has had the surgery has learned, the surgery is not an end to the weight challenge. My challenge now is eating enough to keep my weight up, maintaing good blood levels and my greatest challenge of all...spontaneous bruising and bleeding.

I've had two plastic surgeries (endoscopic brow lift and eye lift for droopy eyes). I have been approved for and am awaiting a few more...the batwings, the removal of the excess skin (apron) on my belly and a butt lift. I'm not really looking forward to any of them but understand that I really need to have them done or face possible infections, etc in a few years.

Having the surgery was the best thing I've ever done. When given the choice between modifying my life or ending it, it made the decision pretty easy.

I truly enjoy speaking with people about the surgery, what I went through, what one can expect, etc. and have spoken before small groups and with individuals.

I am writing a book about the experience solely because everyone always says...you should write a book. When will I finish it? Who knows. But it's been a strength to me to just write about it. I have been looking for websites where I can read about others' challenges and have found a few really good ones, but they have all become dormant after a while. I just saw this one today and wanted to give this a try. If there is one thing I have learned through all of this it is that we all need support. I look forward to reading what everyone has to say and hope that this site will offer something new and inviting.

Be safe.

Letrell

A little about me and why I'm here...

I just turned 54. Had RNY June 9, 2009. Depending on the day I weigh myself, I've lost between 187 and 193 lbs give or take a pound. I've been labeled "our greatest success" at the Naval Medical Center where the surgery was performed.

As anyone who has had the surgery has learned, the surgery is not an end to the weight challenge. My challenge now is eating enough to keep my weight up, maintaing good blood levels and my greatest challenge of all...spontaneous bruising and bleeding.

I've had two plastic surgeries (endoscopic brow lift and eye lift for droopy eyes). I have been approved for and am awaiting a few more...the batwings, the removal of the excess skin (apron) on my belly and a butt lift. I'm not really looking forward to any of them but understand that I really need to have them done or face possible infections, etc in a few years.

Having the surgery was the best thing I've ever done. When given the choice between modifying my life or ending it, it made the decision pretty easy.

I truly enjoy speaking with people about the surgery, what I went through, what one can expect, etc. and have spoken before small groups and with individuals.

I am writing a book about the experience solely because everyone always says...you should write a book. When will I finish it? Who knows. But it's been a strength to me to just write about it. I have been looking for websites where I can read about others' challenges and have found a few really good ones, but they have all become dormant after a while. I just saw this one today and wanted to give this a try. If there is one thing I have learned through all of this it is that we all need support. I look forward to reading what everyone has to say and hope that this site will offer something new and inviting.

Be safe.

Letrell
Hi Letrell, I hope your still on here I'm in my 11th class so have a while to go but need support, Hope things are going great for you and if your still on here would love to chat with you. I really want the surgery yet family is against it. Any help I would be thankful.

Hi there, I hope you'll come back and share your experiences with us. Earlier posters seem to have left, which is understandable, but having their knowledge, experience, and support would be great and appreciated.

Back