• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Greetings!

amyfife71

Hello everyone!

My name is Amy, I'm 53 and am 3 weeks post-op (gastric bypass). I'm doing fairly well, am 23 pounds down since surgery and am definitely on a learning curve. I keep trying to push the schedule laid out for me by my care team and while some things work, other times I forget myself and pay the price (eat too fast and have painful backup). Guess I should stick to the plan, eh?
I'm here for support and learning from those who've been through this before.

Hello!! I had the gastric bypass in 2012, and definitely regret it . There are too many issues down the road; acid reflux issues, constipation , malabsorption, medication not as effective because of lack of absorption, anemia that leads to other issues etc…, I would advise anyone against the procedure.
You are literally the first person of the MANY I know and have met who regretted it. Most are thrilled with their results. I'm sorry you've had a hard time, but not everyone will have the same experience.

Hello!! I had the gastric bypass in 2012, and definitely regret it . There are too many issues down the road; acid reflux issues, constipation , malabsorption, medication not as effective because of lack of absorption, anemia that leads to other issues etc…, I would advise anyone against the procedure.
Also can I ask why you're here? If it was such a failure for you, why are you in this forum, and responding negatively to my post looking for support? It's done - I've had the prcodeure. So if you can't offer support, don't hijack my post to scare away others. NOT cool.

Wow! Sorry for being realistic!! I have read many comments regarding these issues as well. These are the common issues with gastric bypass . Nevertheless!! I wish you well!!
You should be sorry. My post was not meant for you, clearly. Kindly take your anti-surgery campaign to your own thread. But since we are here....yes, some people had not great results. Why? Maybe a pre-existing condition, bad luck OR they didn't follow their surgeon's post-op instructions and therefore got crappy results. That's the most common reason I've found in the exhaustive research that I did pre-op. Hmmm....fascinating! Either way, that's not a reason to sh*t on the procedure and recommend that NO ONE have it. That's absurd.

Goodness! I almost hate to pop in here. BUT here goes.

Amy, I am also 53 and I am almost 4 years post op. It has been the best decision of my life! You are correct that not everyone experiences negative side effects. And if you do, the vast majority of them can be fixed.

My acid reflux which I had many years before surgery, is so much better. It is not gone, as I had too much damage to my esophagus for that. But I no longer have to take daily meds to maintain. Occasionally it flair up and Ill take a few days of antacids.

I am down apprx. 100lbs and feel better than I have in DECADES!! Follow your doctors orders and address any issues immediately with your medical team.

Best of luck to you. Keep us posted!

Last edited:
Good for you! Iam 12 years post and just started 2 years ago with the acid reflux . I have never had that issue prior. Again, age, menopause all play a part in these symptoms. Having the bypass makes it more complicated and difficult to effectively treat. My intention wasn’t to upset, I will remove my thread.. take care!

Hi Amy, I'm 51 and 7 weeks post op, gastric bypass. I'm also doing well and also learned the same painful truth, eating too fast is very bad. I was feeling very tired and kinda whooped until this last week, now I'm feeling better and stronger, also able to have more intense, longer workouts again which makes me very happy. I'm getting all my protein in as well as liquids, moving my body, and being kind to myself and my body right now. I'm in a stall right now but it didn't phase me because of all the generous people on this site who have shared and answered questions so I know it's just something that happens and I'm noticing that I'm still getting smaller. This site is fantastic for warm support and good reliable information.

Good for you! Iam 12 years post and just started 2 years ago with the acid reflux . I have never had that issue prior. Again, age, menopause all play a part in these symptoms. Having the bypass makes it more complicated and difficult to effectively treat. My intention wasn’t to upset, I will remove my thread.. take care!
Cathie, I'm sorry you're having so many issues and that you have regrets. None of us can know what will happen years down the road. And this group is for support so of course, we are willing to listen to any issues you have. Actually, I would like to know more, since I believe its good to know both the good and the bad that the future may hold.

I think its really just an issue of time and place. It might be a good idea to start your own thread to share, instead of on someone else's post where they are only a few weeks out and just looking for some encouragement.

Again, I hope you do start your own thread and share your story. The surgery isn't all sunshine and roses and its important to hear it all, imo. And those like you who's situation isn't perfect are the ones who need the most support.

Back