• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

guess what!!!!

jduffy

i got a call from cleveland clinic this morning. they wanted my insurance info so they could check for coverage. the lady said that after the insurance was cleared someone would be calling me to setup appointments!!
just got home from doctor and he is all for the surgery. after looking at my log of blood sugars,taken once a day, he gave me a diabetes med so it's official, i'm diabetic. have any of you ever heard of welchol?
so i guess you could say i got half a good news and a whole bad news.
really, i don't even know what i think right now.
jduffy

i got a call from cleveland clinic this morning. they wanted my insurance info so they could check for coverage. the lady said that after the insurance was cleared someone would be calling me to setup appointments!!
just got home from doctor and he is all for the surgery. after looking at my log of blood sugars,taken once a day, he gave me a diabetes med so it's official, i'm diabetic. have any of you ever hfeard of welchol?
jduffy

CONGRATULATIONS!!! I'm so happy for you! :) You'll be having that surgery soon, how WONDERFUL!!!

Sorry you are diabetic, but your surgery should help that. Are you having the R-N-Y?

Best of Luck, :cool:

Cheyenne

Congratulations on hearing from them!! Now the journey begins. Just remember, depending on how the program goes, it might feel a little crazy at times. Just hold on and you'll be at a surgery date in no time. Good Luck!!

CONGRATULATIONS!!! I'm so happy for you! :) You'll be having that surgery soon, how WONDERFUL!!!

Sorry you are diabetic, but your surgery should help that. Are you having the R-N-Y?

Best of Luck, :cool:

Cheyenne
Cheyenne, My doctor prescribed it for me and I went home and read about it , and it was contraindicated for bypass patients. So I never took it.

Cheyenne, My doctor prescribed it for me and I went home and read about it , and it was contraindicated for bypass patients. So I never took it.

Thats very interesting Karenina, I'll have to talk to my doctor about it. It should be much better for me than the Crestar. Thanks for the info..

just got home from doctor and he is all for the surgery. after looking at my log of blood sugars,taken once a day, he gave me a diabetes med so it's official, i'm diabetic. have any of you ever heard of welchol?
jduffy

http://www.welchol.com/

Check it out on the internet.

I see it serves two purposes.

However, it is not very common in the diabetic community. I have had diabetes since 2007 and never heard of it before. It may be something new. I like what it says at the site. Maybe it is one of these new combination drugs; I don't know. The most common diabetic control drug is Metformin. I also used insulin to control my diabetes. Now, I don't need anything post op.

Also, you should have an A1C test. If you are going to understand diabetes better you should be measuring up to 6 or 7 times a day. You should measure before a meal and 2 hours after a meal to see how you did. If you want to understand what foods make your sugars go up quickly, measure before then 1 hour and then 2 hours after a particular food. Get to know more about the foods you eat as they pertain to spiking your sugar. For example, potatoes spike your sugar count. Breads raise it but more gently. Pasta raises it but is was delayed up to 2 to 3 hours after I ate pasts. Want it to go up really quick have a piece of chocolate and watch it take off. Some of your cereals spike sugar count as well; no more Honey Nut , etc., etc.,

There is a lot to learn.

Here is a good site to join and learn about diabetes http://forum.lowcarber.org/

Also, here is another site with all kinds of excellent information http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/

Good luck.

Ralph

Welchol is not a new drug it is just used more commonly for high cholesterol. I don't understand if you were diagnosed as a diabetic why didn't they give you metformin first? Like Dancinbr said it is the most common drug used for diabetes. I was taking 1000mg twice a day plus using an injection called Victoza. Since my surgery on the 10th the surgeon held my diabetic meds and my high blood pressure meds so far my sugar levels have all been in normal range both before and after meals. yay!!! as far as my blood pressure I may have to go back on a lower dose med it still runs a little higher than it should. Like Dancinbr said you will have a lot to learn but, you have your surgery maybe you wont have to learn for long. :D

Called the clinic last week. I have been accepted as a candidate for the surgery. Just waiting for the appointments for the huge number of pre-op appointments. I'm so happy and so scared at the same time.
jduffy

Called the clinic last week. I have been accepted as a candidate for the surgery. Just waiting for the appointments for the huge number of pre-op appointments. I'm so happy and so scared at the same time.
jduffy

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!! HOW WONDERFUL!!!!! You're starting your journey to a new and healthier life. :)

Try to relax and not be afraid. All will be fine.

jduffy

Congratulations!

Now the new life journey begins for you.

Ralph

hi, all. got a huge envelope from cleveland clinic today. i'm on the "orange pathway". this means that i've got to see the psychologist first. then, it's other things like blood work, ekg, etc. get this they sent me papers to sign and fill out to be sent to my therapist. i have to mail those papers to cc then they mail them to my local therapist. this, i think is silly since i could just give them to me therapist myself next thursday.
anyway, i'm on the way. thanks for listening my friends.

hi, all. got a huge envelope from cleveland clinic today. i'm on the "orange pathway". this means that i've got to see the psychologist first. then, it's other things like blood work, ekg, etc. get this they sent me papers to sign and fill out to be sent to my therapist. i have to mail those papers to cc then they mail them to my local therapist. this, i think is silly since i could just give them to me therapist myself next thursday.
anyway, i'm on the way. thanks for listening my friends.

Hey, happy days ahead for you.

You have started the cycle toward your surgery and new life. Great work!

Ralph

jduffy

Congrats on being accepted as a candidate for surgery. It is normal to be happy and scared at the same time. You will do just fine.

TillieS

the welchol is working for the diabetes. where my blood sugars were up the 100's it's now down to the 80's-90's.

Back