• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Had my 12 month post op follow up with my dr and nutricitionist today

fuww57

This coming Saturday will be one year since my surgery and I went for my follow-ups with my surgeon and nutritionist. Both are very pleased with my progress. My blood work numbers are all excellent (cholesterol is 118!). I am to continue with the same food plan but the nutritionist would like me to increase protein to about 70 grams/day. As for losing more weight, everyone says not to be concerned with that. I would like to lose more weight but they seem to feel I'm in good health. They would like to see me exercise more even though I lost so much weight without doing much. I have already started a more active lifestyle since I took care of my osteoarthritis in my knees. I now walk a mile a few days a week. My ability to climb stairs and walk distances has been amazing. I'm just a little slower but that also has to do with my heart issues, which by the way were improved since I was able to have an ablation done for the a-fib (now my heart is in normal rhythm for the first time in 10 years!). Well, since I have no desire to eat any more than I already do I will continue as I've been instructed and hope to see some more weight come off. But if not, I think losing 168 lbs., almost half my size, is something I can live with. I brought a pair of my 4xl swim trunks for the surgeon to see. He likes to photograph me holding up my old clothes when I come in for a follow-up.

This coming Saturday will be one year since my surgery and I went for my follow-ups with my surgeon and nutritionist. Both are very pleased with my progress. My blood work numbers are all excellent (cholesterol is 118!). I am to continue with the same food plan but the nutritionist would like me to increase protein to about 70 grams/day. As for losing more weight, everyone says not to be concerned with that. I would like to lose more weight but they seem to feel I'm in good health. They would like to see me exercise more even though I lost so much weight without doing much. I have already started a more active lifestyle since I took care of my osteoarthritis in my knees. I now walk a mile a few days a week. My ability to climb stairs and walk distances has been amazing. I'm just a little slower but that also has to do with my heart issues, which by the way were improved since I was able to have an ablation done for the a-fib (now my heart is in normal rhythm for the first time in 10 years!). Well, since I have no desire to eat any more than I already do I will continue as I've been instructed and hope to see some more weight come off. But if not, I think losing 168 lbs., almost half my size, is something I can live with. I brought a pair of my 4xl swim trunks for the surgeon to see. He likes to photograph me holding up my old clothes when I come in for a follow-up.

CONGRATULATIONS Fuww57 on your TERRIFIC weight loss! Even if you don't lose the additional 9 lb to get to your goal weight, you look absolutely great in your picture. :) I recently went for my one year follow up too, and my surgeon said most people continue to lose weight for 18 months after bariatric surgery. So you probably will get to your goal weight or below. :)

How wonderful your health has improved!!! Isn't losing weight wonderful!

Cheyenne :cool:

Congrats! you look great! i am only 3 weeks 3 days out but already feel better, no more diabetic medicine! that in it's self is awarding, keep up the good work i love to read about others accomplishment it makes me feel good. :)

CONGRATULATIONS Fuww57 on your TERRIFIC weight loss! Even if you don't lose the additional 9 lb to get to your goal weight, you look absolutely great in your picture. :) I recently went for my one year follow up too, and my surgeon said most people continue to lose weight for 18 months after bariatric surgery. So you probably will get to your goal weight or below. :)

How wonderful your health has improved!!! Isn't losing weight wonderful!

Cheyenne :cool:

Thank you. The goal weight has a question mark because I really have no idea what I should weigh. I've been told by all of my doctors that I'm fine the way I am. I think the important thing is not to backslide. Yes, if I continue to lose weight that would be great. But the health benefits have already appeared and that's the best part.

Congrats! you look great! i am only 3 weeks 3 days out but already feel better, no more diabetic medicine! that in it's self is awarding, keep up the good work i love to read about others accomplishment it makes me feel good. :)
That is awesome about the diabetes med. Before my surgery my glucose level and A1C were both close if not already at the diabetes range but I was told by my doctors that they weren't concerned because the surgery should lower those #'s and they did. I haven't seen my new numbers but last February, my 6 month anniversary, the A1C had gone down from 6.5 to 5.0 and blood glucose from 170 to 81. I did find out that my cholesterol is 118 but I always had low cholesterol one of the only things I had going for me (besides not being a smoker).

Great Job FUWW keep up the good work, now that you are exercising you will lose more weight.

Back