• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Had my consultation

Katdpete

The surgeon has agreed to take me on as a patient, and agreed this is the best thing for me! Their office required 3 months of classes, and I begin them this coming Monday. Because I’ve already had most of the tests they would do, I don’t really have to have any physical tests except one more blood panel closer to time. I meet with an in-office psychologist once, and he assured me that my Bipolar diagnosis won’t be a contraindication for surgery, as long as it’s managed (which it is). Really, the only big thing is going to make sure we have everything my insurance will require. So fingers crossed!

Hi Katdpete, good for you! That is great news to hear. Each surgeon's office may have different requirements, and they should have someone on staff who can help you to meet all the insurance requirements. Once I started the process, I felt not that much was actually asked of me as a patient, and I'm surprised by how little formal follow up there is post surgery. There is a phone line available to ask nurses and PA's questions. I also didn't know anyone who had surgery before, and so little is written about the surgical process, I had (mistakenly) assumed there were lots of hurdles to jump before insurance would approve my surgery. My PCP was really the one who stayed on top of me for several years and convinced me it was a real possibility.

I agree with Mam that insurance process was easier than I anticipated. They had me do all kinds of tests preoperatively, but it really was my comorbidities that got me approved - hypertension, sleep apnea, high cholesterol. I am 5 months postop & no longer have any of those. Excited for you to start your journey. Don’t hesitate to reach out to this group for questions and advice. I wish I’d found them before surgery.

Back