• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Had Surgery Today

Just FYI, please feel free to disagree or contradict me anytime if you think I got something wrong. It's how we learn.

I did post a link to that dementia study here when I read about it a month or so ago. It was from the NIH. There was another link that also went to a reputable site, but I don't remember where it was right now. You're right about media hype, so if I see something informational, I always do mega-searches on the topic before I share the information. I never want to lead anyone astray.

My go-to sites for medical information related to bariatrics are the Mayo Clinic and University of Rochester Medical School. Over time I've just found them to be the most reliable & least hyped about obesity & corrective surgeries.

But you probably know, as a nurse, that people take a lot of meds that aren't good for them. For a long time I was on suphedrine daily because of a horrible, chronic sinusitis. I finally went in to see an ENT & had surgery to correct the damages, which were most likely caused by years of smoking cigarettes. And if Big Pharma ruled my world, I'd probably just be taking something prescribed to make my sinuses work better.

After reading the study on dementia, I pulled out four prescriptions that I was taking daily & discontinued them. I don't miss any of them but one, & boy do I wish I could take it. But I'd rather have that problem than have my son deal with me in dementia shown to be caused by that drug.

My goal is to be realistic & I thank you for your comments, which allowed me to explain my sources.

Diane,

You said nothing wrong. I thank you for your information, insight and guidance. I have a 19 yr old daughter that has symptoms and calls me and asks if she has cancer because "she read on the internet". I just want to caution people when they go on the internet to use reputable sites. I am not saying you didn't or give inaccurate information. Just the people who don't realize they are getting incorrect information believing it just because it is on the internet. I am not saying your information is incorrect. I appreciate and respect you for doing your research. Please continue. Please don't take it as a contradiction or anything wrong.

Hi Ladies (and gents)....well, the day has arrived. I had surgery today/this morning @ 7:30 AM-- VSG; was discharged to home this afternoon. I think I am doing ok. So far, my main complaint is when I drink (sip; as it is getting to my stomach, it feels like the liquid is going over a bubble right at the entry. I think it's the trapped gas. I am walking around, but still feel it mainly at that time. I know there is a lot of swelling inside. I look forward to this passing, but I won't complain too much... just yet. I'm glad it's come and gone. Now the journey continues. Thanks for being here. Many of you have already going this route. I enjoy reading your posts. Sooo much to learn! :):)

Hi Ladies (and gents)....well, the day has arrived. I had surgery today/this morning @ 7:30 AM-- VSG; was discharged to home this afternoon. I think I am doing ok. So far, my main complaint is when I drink (sip; as it is getting to my stomach, it feels like the liquid is going over a bubble right at the entry. I think it's the trapped gas. I am walking around, but still feel it mainly at that time. I know there is a lot of swelling inside. I look forward to this passing, but I won't complain too much... just yet. I'm glad it's come and gone. Now the journey continues. Thanks for being here. Many of you have already going this route. I enjoy reading your posts. Sooo much to learn! :):)

Back