• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Hard to eat

HappyMomof2

Hey friends! I am two weeks post surgery and I am having problems getting my protein. I can only eat a few bites of food at a time. Also, I cannot drink a full protein shake. Any advice or tips?! Is this normal!? Thanks in advance!!

Hey friends! I am two weeks post surgery and I am having problems getting my protein. I can only eat a few bites of food at a time. Also, I cannot drink a full protein shake. Any advice or tips?! Is this normal!? Thanks in advance!!
I’m pretty sure that’s normal, it does get easier. I still cannot eat large quantities of food 2 years out. It depends on the consistency, I find it much easier to eat yogurt, cottage cheese, eggs, and drink milky drinks.

It is very normal. Your stomach needs time to heal so dont push it to hard but make sure to get your water in and it does not matter how long it takes you to drink that protein shake as long as it gets in sweetie. I am almost 2 yrs post op and I still cant eat a full cup of food

Your pouch is still healing so this is normal. I think most programs still have you on liquids only during week 2 specifically for that reason. There are a few things to you can do to make sure you are getting your protein in. You can go back to drinking clear protein or you can try adding additional water to your protein shakes. If you make your own using powder, they call for 8oz of water, but you can use 12. It sounds counter-intuitive to add MORE when you're having such a hard time getting it down, but anything that makes it less dense/thick can be helpful. Like Julie said, consistency is really key after surgery. Less dense foods will always be easier to tolerate.

I couldn’t drink a full protein shake at one sitting until I was 5 months post op
For me my team was more concerned that I get my protein in then water because they considered my shakes as liquids. So it was like killing two birds with one stone. I like fast and no clean up so I drink still today, the pre made premier protein and what I do is pour it over ice it’s thins it out and makes it less sweet. To be honest, I use a coffee mug and pretend I’m drinking ice coffee for me it works.
I think I’m a rare one because I still enjoy my protein Shakes. LOL
You are only two weeks out I would suggest slowing down a bit. Don’t rush this process.

Back