• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Has anyone seen a change in how their body reacts to sugar a yr or so post op?

Lesa Marie

I also had my gallbladder removed several months ago so I’m not sure if it’s my sleeve or that or both causing this. I’ve noticed more frequently when I have “too much” sugar like a sundae or float etc..that my body has an extreme reaction. My heart starts beating fast, I get VERY dizzy like scary dizzy, my left arm starts throbbing, fatigue and at times I get nauseated. I’ve been close to going to the ER but talk myself out of it every time it happens. I used to have these things and be fine so I don’t know what’s happening. Any ideas or anyone experience these type of things when eating sugar?

My post-op experience was unremarkable. But I'm not a sugar person. I pretty much use Splenda or one of the dozen other sugar replacements. You need to stick to a bariatric friendly diet for as long as your blood tests indicated. Stick with your team and ask EVERY question that comes to your mind. Especially ask things related to any peculiarities of your nutritional process. NEVER compare your experience to anyone else. You certainly share many biological similarities because the procedures used are fairly consistent everywhere you go. It's a science that's been dramatically developed over years of experience from as early as the 1950s.

Lesa Marie, your body is going at the speed that's built into your metabolism. Don't try adding in things unrelated to the bariatric diet until your body is ready. This may take up to a year. Your brain will be super-impatient but you need to control it with affirmations and alternative activities like walking, inside or outside, walking in place, slowly adding harder efforts, like lifting your knees high.

It took you a long time to get to this place. It won't be cured overnight, or even in a month or a year. You have changed your digestive process and now it's in control.

going to Initial care at a hospital is NOT an unreasonable thing to do, since you don't have a medical degree and you're not a doctor. Put your life in an expert's care.

you need to do what you need to do. Listen to your body. If you have a bad reaction, don't continue on that path. best of luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
My post-op experience was unremarkable. But I'm not a sugar person. I pretty much use Splenda or one of the dozen other sugar replacements. You need to stick to a bariatric friendly diet for as long as your blood tests indicated. Stick with your team and as EVERY question that comes to your mind. Especially ask things related to any peculiarities of your nutritional process. NEVER compare your experience to anyone else. You certainly share many biological similarities because the procedures used are fairly consistent everywhere you go. It's a science that's been dramatically developed over years of experience from as early as the 1950s.

Lesa Marie, your body is going at the speed that's built into your metabolism. Don't try adding in things unrelated to the bariatric diet until your body is ready. This may take up to a year. Your brain will be super-impatient but you need to control it with affirmations and alternative activities like walking, inside or outside, walking in place, slowly adding harder efforts, like lifting your knees high.

It took you a long time to get to this place. It won't be cured overnight, or even in a month or a year. You have changed your digestive process and now it's in control.

going to Initial care at a hospital is NOT and unreasonable thing to do, since you don't have a medical degree and you're not a doctor. Put your life in an expert's care.

you need to do what you need to do. Listen to your body. If you have a bad reaction, don't continue on that path. best of luck.
I’ll say it over and over again, you are as REAL and HONEST as it gets and I love that about you! I used to get my feelings hurt pretty easy in my 20’s but now I’ve learned to except constructive criticism. My husband thinks I’m getting too comfortable and I trust that man with my life so I know he’s definitely onto something. If I’m being honest, now that I’m over a yr post op (almost 16 months out) and having my gallbladder removed (which has been a frigging nightmare) I find myself so frustrated that my body will NEVER be the same. I’m so stubborn that I keep fighting it but lose every single time. I used to enjoy a cup of coffee in the mornings with my husband and my body can’t tolerate coffee anymore and it pisses me off. It makes me a bit sad actually. I guess it’s time to face reality and suck it up and deal with what’s in front of me. There’s no going back. My bariatric surgery has not effected me like my gallbladder surgery has. Having no gallbladder is some serious stuff. I take medication daily to help with not feeling sick and so that my body can still absorb nutrients. However, that doesn’t stop my body from rejecting many things now. I’m sure I need to go into the doctor and have some blood work drawn to be on the safe side especially since this has not been as big of a problem in the past. I at least owe that to my husband and children to take care of myself. Thank you for taking the time replying to my post. I appreciate every word.

I had my gallbladder taken out long before the surgery and I don't remember a big sugar issue. I will say, after WLS, I can tell instantly when I've had a bite too many of something sugary. Interestingly, my husband, who had the sleeve is much more sensitive to sugar than I am, with the bypass.

I highly, highly recommend eating sugary foods very slowly and in small (like toddler size) quantities. It just does not process the same way any longer. The whole reason we chose to have WLS was because we knew it would change our lives. Some of those changes are hard to accept. I'm sorry about your lack of coffee Hope you feel better soon!

I don't think I ever stopped drinking coffee. I have one cup every day. I grind my own beans and use a Chemex pot and paper filter. It's a ritual for me, and very much a treat, like others might use candy to satisfy. I never have another cup. I know in the workplace, people drink coffee all day. Ugh!

I don't know the medical reasons doctors give for banning caffeine, but if anyone else does, please share. My doctor didn't recommend against it, but I know it's common these days. I also drank caffeinated soda. I had almost no restrictions, but my nutritionist laid down strict rules for what I could eat and when.

So when I reached my goal 14 months later, I still followed many of those rules, and combining YMCA 6 days a week and taking multiple-day hiking trips in the North Cascades, I kept losing and had to gain 15 pounds back. I made campfire coffee every morning.

When anyone tells me what to do, I always ask "Why?" before I do it. I think it's so important to LEARN control instead of following an arbitrary diet.

But please do ask, and if you don't want to do it, ask even more. The history of this surgical cure is littered with contradictions, and one size does not fit all. I would love to know what "tolerate" means, as well.

Sorry for rambling, but if someone told me I couldn't have one cup of coffee in the morning, they'd have to put handcuffs on my mouth!!!!

I had my gallbladder taken out long before the surgery and I don't remember a big sugar issue. I will say, after WLS, I can tell instantly when I've had a bite too many of something sugary. Interestingly, my husband, who had the sleeve is much more sensitive to sugar than I am, with the bypass.

I highly, highly recommend eating sugary foods very slowly and in small (like toddler size) quantities. It just does not process the same way any longer. The whole reason we chose to have WLS was because we knew it would change our lives. Some of those changes are hard to accept. I'm sorry about your lack of coffee Hope you feel better soon!
Absolutely! I guess what I’m having a hard time understanding is why a couple months ago I was perfectly fine having sweet desserts and now my body is starting to reject it. Probably just need to get into a doctor to have some labs drawn to rule out any problems. There’s not a whole lot of data out there for sleeve patients (not like bypass) so maybe this is a long term side effect for some since I’m already over a year out. Who knows but yes, I agree with the small amounts of sugar and eating it slow. My body is still changing and I’m needing to adapt. Thank you for your reply :)

Oh, and that’s so interesting how hubby who was sleeved is more sensitive to sugar because bypass patients are notorious for dumping over sugar, fatty foods etc. Sounds like you lucked out!

I don't think I ever stopped drinking coffee. I have one cup every day. I grind my own beans and use a Chemex pot and paper filter. It's a ritual for me, and very much a treat, like others might use candy to satisfy. I never have another cup. I know in the workplace, people drink coffee all day. Ugh!

I don't know the medical reasons doctors give for banning caffeine, but if anyone else does, please share. My doctor didn't recommend against it, but I know it's common these days. I also drank caffeinated soda. I had almost no restrictions, but my nutritionist laid down strict rules for what I could eat and when.

So when I reached my goal 14 months later, I still followed many of those rules, and combining YMCA 6 days a week and taking multiple-day hiking trips in the North Cascades, I kept losing and had to gain 15 pounds back. I made campfire coffee every morning.

When anyone tells me what to do, I always ask "Why?" before I do it. I think it's so important to LEARN control instead of following an arbitrary diet.

But please do ask, and if you don't want to do it, ask even more. The history of this surgical cure is littered with contradictions, and one size does not fit all. I would love to know what "tolerate" means, as well.

Sorry for rambling, but if someone told me I couldn't have one cup of coffee in the morning, they'd have to put handcuffs on my mouth!!!!
Oh my goodness, I sure love a cup of coffee too or did :/….. After my wls I switched to decaf which I was perfectly fine with. My doctor had just said that he’s mostly worried about the caffein dehydrating us and on occasions has been known to cause stomach ulcers.

I'm just a little ahead of you for time frame. I also have to watch sugar. Just had my panels just a couple months ago. I was low in a few areas like Iron and Phosphate and a few other classes. (Including sodium) I've never been a salt junkie but my Dr told me to increase my salt... or at least use "No-Salt" to increase my phosphate levels and other avenues for sodium. I was told to double my vitamins. It's understandable since the dose of vitamins is for the average person size and I'm 6'7. I can still have things like a brownie, or piece of cake without frostings, syrup etc but only a small piece. For me it just winds up with a wicked case of gas and with my abdominal hernia not yet fixed it winds up painful in that area. I have noticed though when I start getting weird reactions to food like cramps, gas, etc. If I increase my water intake I have fewer problems. It's like I'm getting dehydrated and constipated without really realizing it though I have not changed my intake. I don't know if going into winter that the atmosphere is drying out in the cold climate and me with it not knowing or what. Anyway, like others said, I substitute a lot of artificial sweeteners for my fix. You mention floats, I still use Breyers carb smart Vanilla and A&W zero sugar root beer for a float or eat a no sugar added Klondike bar for an ice cream fix.

I'm just a little ahead of you for time frame. I also have to watch sugar. Just had my panels just a couple months ago. I was low in a few areas like Iron and Phosphate and a few other classes. (Including sodium) I've never been a salt junkie but my Dr told me to increase my salt... or at least use "No-Salt" to increase my phosphate levels and other avenues for sodium. I was told to double my vitamins. It's understandable since the dose of vitamins is for the average person size and I'm 6'7. I can still have things like a brownie, or piece of cake without frostings, syrup etc but only a small piece. For me it just winds up with a wicked case of gas and with my abdominal hernia not yet fixed it winds up painful in that area. I have noticed though when I start getting weird reactions to food like cramps, gas, etc. If I increase my water intake I have fewer problems. It's like I'm getting dehydrated and constipated without really realizing it though I have not changed my intake. I don't know if going into winter that the atmosphere is drying out in the cold climate and me with it not knowing or what. Anyway, like others said, I substitute a lot of artificial sweeteners for my fix. You mention floats, I still use Breyers carb smart Vanilla and A&W zero sugar root beer for a float or eat a no sugar added Klondike bar for an ice cream fix.

So nice to hear from you, Fosgate. Seems like it's been a long time since you posted. Are you having hernia surgery soon?

I'm so glad you mentioned water intake. I've always been a big water drinker, but since RYGB, I've made sure to space it out over the entire day. I think that's why I lost so much weight so quickly in the beginning, and haven't had problems with regain. Also, my surgeon told me in advance that I'd have to take a double-dose of multivitamins every day, and I'd never been a vitamin-taker before that. I truly believe supplements have made all the difference in my total health. I think it's also important to take chewables if you can get them.

I take 11 supplements a day, and allow for time between them, so four times a day I take a certain number of pills. It's especially important for people who take calcium, which needs at least 2 hours to break down to the point where they're useful. I get a full blood panel at least once a year to check my levels and they're always great.

So having bariatric surgery is just one part of the whole lifestyle change. It's great not to be morbidly obese, but it's even better to be a senior citizen who can hike the same mountains as my son and his younger friends and stay out in the wilderness for days at a time without any need to rush home.

Keep drinking that water, dude! You're doing a hard job and succeeding at it. And again, great to hear from you.

So nice to hear from you, Fosgate. Seems like it's been a long time since you posted. Are you having hernia surgery soon?

I'm so glad you mentioned water intake. I've always been a big water drinker, but since RYGB, I've made sure to space it out over the entire day. I think that's why I lost so much weight so quickly in the beginning, and haven't had problems with regain. Also, my surgeon told me in advance that I'd have to take a double-dose of multivitamins every day, and I'd never been a vitamin-taker before that. I truly believe supplements have made all the difference in my total health. I think it's also important to take chewables if you can get them.

I take 11 supplements a day, and allow for time between them, so four times a day I take a certain number of pills. It's especially important for people who take calcium, which needs at least 2 hours to break down to the point where they're useful. I get a full blood panel at least once a year to check my levels and they're always great.

So having bariatric surgery is just one part of the whole lifestyle change. It's great not to be morbidly obese, but it's even better to be a senior citizen who can hike the same mountains as my son and his younger friends and stay out in the wilderness for days at a time without any need to rush home.

Keep drinking that water, dude! You're doing a hard job and succeeding at it. And again, great to hear from you.

Meeting with the surgeon in December. Hoping surgery will be scheduled late April or month of May...after snowmobiling season. :)

Back