• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Having trouble quitting smoking by deadline before surgery

Willa

My name is Willa and I am 65 years old. I am suppose to quit smoking and be "quit" by 6 weeks prior to surgery. The surgeon will order a test to make sure that I have NO nicotine in my system. If it is found, he will cancel the surgery. What is up with this???? I started to quit today but everything went wrong and was topped off by my foster child (15 year old boy) started his jealous act with my 16 year old Grandson (who I am raising). The foster child has some major problems and we are trying to work things out in this family to satisfy him. Both boys were yelling at each other and I had to get in the middle of it and the foster child started yelling at me. It was just upsetting to me because I had a terrible day with all kinds of problems. ANYWAY ---- I could not take it and so ---- smoked a couple of cigarettes! I just don't know how I am going to do this "cold turkey." I can't use patches because they have nicotine in them and I am trying to adhere to the "no nicotine" rule. I have been a smoker for 43 years. Does anyone have any suggestions? Are there any ex-smokers out there? I did find (on the internet) that there are nicotine detox kits that you can get. The best one was a 10-day Detox program. It is suppose to take all nicotine out of your system ---- but I have to quit first. Has anyone tried these nicotine detox kits? Do they work? I am just trying to find something that will give me a head-start into being able to do without nicotine. I am in a pickle!

Hello Willa, I am so sorry to hear of your troubles. Sounds like you are in a tough spot. When I quit smoking I used a vaporizer. I did use the vape juice that contains 3mg of nicotine, however, there are plenty of great tasting juices out there that contain 0mg of nicotine in them. There are a ton of delicious flavors too! My favorite is french toast and cinnamon bun :) I had trouble quitting without the vaporizer because I am always in the habit of wanting to put something in my mouth (like food, cigarettes, chewing gum, etc.). Just a thought that it might help! ;)

Hello Willa, I am so sorry to hear of your troubles. Sounds like you are in a tough spot. When I quit smoking I used a vaporizer. I did use the vape juice that contains 3mg of nicotine, however, there are plenty of great tasting juices out there that contain 0mg of nicotine in them. There are a ton of delicious flavors too! My favorite is french toast and cinnamon bun :) I had trouble quitting without the vaporizer because I am always in the habit of wanting to put something in my mouth (like food, cigarettes, chewing gum, etc.). Just a thought that it might help! ;)
Oh, THANK YOU, HeidiRose05!!! I thought about the vape but knew it had nicotine in it and thought it was out of the question. I did not know there are flavors WITHOUT nicotine. This is a GREAT idea and thank you for sharing this with me. Yes, there is the "having something in my fingers" and the "having something in my mouth" thing that non-smokers just do not get. This should do the trick and if you have any other suggestions for me, I want to know so I will listen to you. It is going to be very hard to stop smoking along with the two week "diet" I am to be on right before the surgery. The surgeon says the surgery will take most of the ghretilin (sp? -- the "hungry" hormone) out of my system and that will be a great benefit but before the surgery, I will be struggling with doing without ciggs and food --- two of my pleasures in life. Of course I know I am trading them in for living, being healthy, being able to move again and maybe participate in some of my favorite sports again, being able to fit normal sized pretty clothes and just being physically comfortable. Trading two of my favorite things for MANY of my "use to be" favorite things. Thank you again, HeidiRose05!

I read that blood tests will show no nicotine after 4 days. BUT urine tests will show even the tiniest traces of nicotine for at least a couple months after quitting. I would guess it would depend on how much you smoked as to how long it would take to get it all out of your system. I am almost ready to have surgery but never heard until last week that nicotine of any kind will postpone surgery for months! I thought that was not right that this was not something that they would tell you right away but as far as I can remember it was not mentioned. I hope you can be successful in your desire to get all of your problems worked out so you can have surgery. I know that quitting smoking is very difficult and trying to do both before surgery will be hard but I think you will be able to do it. I will remember you in my prayers.

Hi Willa, I am Helen. I know your struggle. I have smoked off and on since I was about 15 and I am 52 now. I use to be able to quit anytime I wanted. But this time I had been smoking for at least the last 12 years. I did not want to quit. I went to my seminar on July 27,2016 and the doc said you had to be quit 3 weeks before surgery. I said oh great.
He also said what the problems would be if I did not quit after surgery. I had a three hour ride home and i smoked my last time right before midnight. So my quit date is July 28,2016 at 0000. I did not want to quit but if I wanted this surgery I knew I had to. So I pictured the future after surgery. It was not easy but I did it with the help of my Savior.
there are times still especially when driving (my work involves a lot of driving)that I want to smoke so bad. But i keep the bigger picture in my mind. But what i struggle with is the food. Giving up smoking was a breeze to giving up food. I don't understand how i can quit smoking cold turkey and can not do food cold turkey. But that is what the surgery is all about. It is the tool that is going to help me be the person i am on the inside and want to be on the outside. You can try a life savor when you want to smoke. that is something in your mouth. I use to pick up one of my boyfriends smokes (not Lit) and just hold it and go through the motions and smell it. I also second hand smoked for a while at first. I always say that is the cheapest way to smoke.LOL. I hope this helps and inspires you. You are in my prayers.

Back