• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Hawaii

Christine Seese

Over Spring break, my husband is taking a group of students to sing at the Arizona memorial in Honolulu. Since a trip to Hawaii is not something we can normally afford, he and myself have been comped since there are so many people going. We just have to pay for our daughter, who is in the choir. Anyway, I will be 4 months out from surgery. Eating will be a challenge, but I'm hoping to already be healthy enough to handle some of the hikes. Just have to get back to walking ASAP after surgery.

Wow, that's a trip of a lifetime! I'm so happy for you!! I'm sure your surgery will go great and by the time you leave for your vacation you will have already lost a substantial amount of weight. Remember to start walking as soon as you get home from the hospital so that you can build your endurance up for those hikes ;) Good luck Christine!!

Wow, that's a trip of a lifetime! I'm so happy for you!! I'm sure your surgery will go great and by the time you leave for your vacation you will have already lost a substantial amount of weight. Remember to start walking as soon as you get home from the hospital so that you can build your endurance up for those hikes ;) Good luck Christine!!
Thanks Heidi. My doc is recommending short walks after I get home from hospital. My only worry is that I'll be recuperating by myself. My husband and daughter will be at Disney World for another choir event. I just won't push it I guess.

Over Spring break, my husband is taking a group of students to sing at the Arizona memorial in Honolulu. Since a trip to Hawaii is not something we can normally afford, he and myself have been comped since there are so many people going. We just have to pay for our daughter, who is in the choir. Anyway, I will be 4 months out from surgery. Eating will be a challenge, but I'm hoping to already be healthy enough to handle some of the hikes. Just have to get back to walking ASAP after surgery.
Christine don't worry about getting up and walking after surgery. That is one of the requirements in order to be released. They get you up and walking the same day. Going to Hawaii sounds great. I went to Maui when I was 16 and wouldn't mind going again some day. You should have the eating part of the journey down by 4 months. You will be up and walking and feeling lighter by the time of your trip.

Christine don't worry about getting up and walking after surgery. That is one of the requirements in order to be released. They get you up and walking the same day. Going to Hawaii sounds great. I went to Maui when I was 16 and wouldn't mind going again some day. You should have the eating part of the journey down by 4 months. You will be up and walking and feeling lighter by the time of your trip.
Thanks for the info Tamara. Maui is beautiful I've heard. It is my parent's favorite island. My husband lived in Honolulu for 8 yrs when he was a kid. Hasn't been back since. I'm hoping I get to go buy a smaller swim suit.

Wonderful opportunity!!!!

Hawaii is the only US state I have not visited. 4 months post op should be no issue for you. I was doing light cardio at 1 1/2 months and full weights at the gym at 2 1/2 months. I just needed to carefully listen to by body.

Stay hydrated and completely enjoy this life experience.

Best Regards
Lillian

Last edited:
Wonderful opportunity!!!!

Hawaii is the only US state I have not visited. 4 months post op should be no issue for you. I was doing light cardio at 1 1/2 months and full weights at the gym at 2 1/2 months. I just needed to carefully listen to by body.

Stay hydrated and completely enjoy this life experience.

Best Regards
Lillian
Wow. You've been to every other state? That's impressive.

Wow. You've been to every other state? That's impressive.
Well I was a military brat, an adventurous youth, my ex husband was in the military, and love to travel. The more weight I lose the more I feel my adventurous spirit come back.
One of things that helped me make my decision to have surgery was my weight affect on traveling.
You will have to give me Hawaii pointers and tips when you get back.

Last edited:
Well I was a military brat, an adventurous youth, my ex husband was in the military, and love to travel. The more weight I lose the more I feel my adventurous spirit come back.
One of things that helped me make my decision to have surgery was my weight affect on traveling.
You will give me Hawaii pointers and tips when you get back.
What an interesting life. I hate flying and having to ask for a seatbelt extender. I feel all of the eyes looking at me. I will tell you all about Hawaii for sure.

What an interesting life. I hate flying and having to ask for a seatbelt extender. I feel all of the eyes looking at me. I will tell you all about Hawaii for

Can't wait to hear of your Hawaiian adventures. My first vacation, after finishing my graduate degree, I plan on visiting the Hawaiian islands.

Best Regards
Lillian

I've heard Maui is the island to check out. Because it would be too expensive to fly all of the students and chaperones there, we are staying in Honolulu. We are going on hikes, to a pineapple farm and to some beautiful beaches. I just hope to keep up.

I've heard Maui is the island to check out. Because it would be too expensive to fly all of the students and chaperones there, we are staying in Honolulu. We are going on hikes, to a pineapple farm and to some beautiful beaches. I just hope to keep up.

The world is filled with natural beauty. Raven cliff falls near Helen GA is a beautiful hike too.

That's so exciting Christine! I can't wait to hear all about your trip!!! I'm sure you are going to have a fabulous time and you will be fine keeping up with the hike ;)

Back