• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Hello all

Hey Coach! Welcome to the forum, and congrats on your surgery! I had mine sleeve on 1/22/20.

I found myself with a glass of water, with a splash of juice, within arms reach at all times, taking sips every 10 minutes.

As for the protien, I recommend Premier Protien shakes and clear drinks. They have a ton of protien (30 grams) and a wide variety of flavors. You can get them at Walmart or on Amazon.

Good luck and stay in touch. There are a lot of people that have forged the path for you! Lean on us!

Hey Coach! Welcome to the forum, and congrats on your surgery! I had mine sleeve on 1/22/20.

I found myself with a glass of water, with a splash of juice, within arms reach at all times, taking sips every 10 minutes.

As for the protien, I recommend Premier Protien shakes and clear drinks. They have a ton of protien (30 grams) and a wide variety of flavors. You can get them at Walmart or on Amazon.

Good luck and stay in touch. There are a lot of people that have forged the path for you! Lean on us!
I’ve got both the shakes and clear liquids, the liquids have a little after taste but the shaved ice helps with it

the shaved ice helps with it
Hey Jamie, congratulations on doing it and your arrival home, plus your solutions so far. Did your nerves just stay knotted up all the way to the procedure? How was your experience?

Do you make shaved ice in your blender? I used to be able to do that in the biggest blender I had, using water to help the ice cubes bounce around and get shaved, but as you can imagine, it was a really wet result, even after draining well. I've been wanting shaved ice a lot lately, but haven't wanted to beat it up in a towel with my meat tenderizer, which is my go-to.

Did you use a timer to remind you to sip?

Hey Jamie, congratulations on doing it and your arrival home, plus your solutions so far. Did your nerves just stay knotted up all the way to the procedure? How was your experience?

Do you make shaved ice in your blender? I used to be able to do that in the biggest blender I had, using water to help the ice cubes bounce around and get shaved, but as you can imagine, it was a really wet result, even after draining well. I've been wanting shaved ice a lot lately, but haven't wanted to beat it up in a towel with my meat tenderizer, which is my go-to.
The one I have the cup comes off and I can drink directly from it, so far it’s keeping my stuff real cold. Here a picture from the Christmas I received mine.

Attachments

• 17472CCF-0840-4C30-B51F-02D4E2A11DFF.jpeg
    17472CCF-0840-4C30-B51F-02D4E2A11DFF.jpeg
    786.3 KB · Views: 68
Yea my nerves stayed knotted up all the way to when they gave me a shot to “relax” me, after I don’t remember nothing till I was in recovery and even then I don’t remember to much. Overall my experience was good for what I went through, I can see now why you have to go through what you do before it’s a lot mentality and physically.

Had surgery on 2/12, was released to go
Home on 2/14. My biggest issue is getting all the water and protein in. May have found one way do it, I’m going to use my Hamilton Beach mini blender and make smoothies like drinks, the colder the better.

Congratulations on your surgery! Sounds like you've got a great plan in place. Get your protein and water in the best way you can. I can tell you from my experience - tastes may changed. Some days the protein shakes are wonderful - some day they aren't. Some people can't tolerate cold drinks and others have to have them room temperature. Sounds odd - but true. Allow yourself variety. Listen to your body.
Best of luck on this wonderful new journey!

Congratulations on your surgery! Sounds like you've got a great plan in place. Get your protein and water in the best way you can. I can tell you from my experience - tastes may changed. Some days the protein shakes are wonderful - some day they aren't. Some people can't tolerate cold drinks and others have to have them room temperature. Sounds odd - but true. Allow yourself variety. Listen to your body.
Best of luck on this wonderful new journey!
Yeah, keeping it a little different everyday is a little changeling, but so far i have. I had a experience yesterday while on my walk, i drank a 12oz bottle of Gatorade, didn't think i had done anything wrong, until i got back home and I ended up miserable, i basically didn't drink anything for a hour or so, after that I'm now starting to know my limits,

Yeah, keeping it a little different everyday is a little changeling, but so far i have. I had a experience yesterday while on my walk, i drank a 12oz bottle of Gatorade, didn't think i had done anything wrong, until i got back home and I ended up miserable, i basically didn't drink anything for a hour or so, after that I'm now starting to know my limits,
You kept that down? Don't our new tummies only hold a few ounces? :oops:

Very interesting Diane!

You kept that down? Don't our new tummies only hold a few ounces? :oops:
Certainly in the beginning it's hard to drink more than an ounce or two at a time. But liquids don't stay in the stomach long, they quickly move through the system. This is one of the reasons that doctors don't want you drinking while eating, it flushes the food through too quickly. I've posted a link to this interesting video before showing how it works:

Certainly in the beginning it's hard to drink more than an ounce or two at a time. But liquids don't stay in the stomach long, they quickly move through the system. This is one of the reasons that doctors don't want you drinking while eating, it flushes the food through too quickly. I've posted a link to this interesting video before showing how it works:
This makes sense, but it's an exaggeration right? Because there's been times my stomach sloshes for an hour with liquid.

This makes sense, but it's an exaggeration right? Because there's been times my stomach sloshes for an hour with liquid.
I really don't think it's an exaggeration. Liquids pass through your smaller stomach quickly. Only solids can remain for any significant time. Of course, the more you drink at one time, the longer it takes to all get through. It could be that as water moves through the rest of your digestive tract, you're feeling it "sloshing" and misinterpreting it as in your stomach? Not sure but this would be a good one for a doctor.

I really don't think it's an exaggeration. Liquids pass through your smaller stomach quickly. Only solids can remain for any significant time. Of course, the more you drink at one time, the longer it takes to all get through. It could be that as water moves through the rest of your digestive tract, you're feeling it "sloshing" and misinterpreting it as in your stomach? Not sure but this would be a good one for a doctor.
I think you have to break this down mathematically. Coach drank 12 oz of Gatorade over a period of time. I don't know how many hours it was because I'm too lazy to go back and read this thread, but he felt sick and that probably was more because of the fact that Gatorade is loaded with sugar and salt. Maybe he uses a sugar-free version but salt can have a profound effect on your stomach as well.

I have a really hard time digesting super processed foods. There are things that I will never eat or drink because just the thought of them makes me sick, but also I do not take in that many chemicals at one time. My eating is all fairly pure, made from raw foods and true juices. The most chemical thing I ever drink is a regular Coca-Cola when I feel like I want one, and that's about maybe two times a year. I don't eat out, I don't use the drive-thru, and once in a great while I will have a slice of pizza if somebody else has ordered one. But for the most part all I consume is fresh food, Fresh Dairy and healthy grains as whole as possible. Oh, and red wine.

and personally, I cannot stand Gatorade.

Had surgery on 2/12, was released to go
Home on 2/14. My biggest issue is getting all the water and protein in. May have found one way do it, I’m going to use my Hamilton Beach mini blender and make smoothies like drinks, the colder the better.
I had my surgery on 2-12-2020 so far I’m getting 8 oz of protein shake in but it took a bit, also getting water in not sure if I’m getting enough

Back