• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Hello and excess skin question

How long did you wait to have surgery?
My surgery was 11 months after my bypass. I had been at a stable weight for 3+ months at that point. That's what my surgeon bases approval on. I've since lost another 20 (plus the 10 he removed in damaged skin/tissue). But I believe this last 20 to be a combination of him tightening my stomach muscles underneath, making it difficult to eat temporarily in the first 8 weeks post-op and also anxiety, due to both COVID and resuming work at a very high-stress position.

I've heard from many people that regain in the next year or two is normal and being 20 pounds lower than expected, I'm ok with that. I never expected to be thin, my hopes and dreams were on a "normal" BMI (as messed up as that scale is). Don't get me wrong, it's a great feeling being (dare I say it?) skinny, I just know it's likely not permanent. I have my year and a half follow-up with my bariatric surgeon's nurse Friday. Normal regain is one of the topics I plan to discuss. I want to know what to expect.

Last edited:
I did want to add that my skin will never be as it would have been without the years of abuse from obesity and yo-yo-ing. I'm very happy with my results but surgeons aren't magicians and can't turn back time. There will always be flaws and scars and for anyone seriously considering this kind of surgery and investment, you need to be prepared for improvement, not perfection. I see where things could have been pulled tighter and the areas that I couldn't afford work (inner thighs, rear-end) stand out that much more now. But despite that, I'm thrilled because I kept my expectations realistic.

I am definitely going to do skin removal on my upper arms, they have always been to big even when I was thin.
Yes I will have to pay for it myself, but it will be nice not to have to buy a size bigger in shirts b/c of it, plus I am unable to wear blouses b/c the blouses cannot get over my arms. Doctor said even w/ all the exercise at my age, it will need surgery, which I have knew.

I would love to do my belly, maybe down the line someday, but I have been saving for the arms.

You look so good.I talked to a surgeon and he said a year is when your weight stays steady.Everything you said my surgeon said.
Thank you! Yeah, depending on your goal weight, how much you need to loose and how quickly you loose, a year is a good goal. As I mentioned, mine was at 11 months but I lost my weight very quickly and had been stable and at goal for 3 months by then.

My doctor told me my insurance will pay for abdominal skin removal surgery if my stomach is lying on your thighs & hanging pass your woman parts. Otherwise NO
Yeah, my HR department even went to bat for me but no luck with insurance coverage. I was just happy that my recovery time was eligible for FMLA and NYS disability. At least I had some income coming in those 8 weeks. I was fortunate to have my 401K to borrow against and will have it paid off in 5 years (4 and a half now). It's a big financial sacrifice but I needed it to feel complete in my journey and see the real me under the hanging skin.

My wife had excess skin removed from her abdomen, her thighs, her upper arms and had a breast reduction. She had a RYBG and waited for about 1-1.5 years until she was certain she had lost all of what she was going to lose. It took two separate surgeries, but it was something that meant a lot to her, so she had it done. She has never regretted a single moment of it. She looks absolutely amazing now but more importantly, she feels good about herself and loves how she looks.....it was well worth it to see the transformation in her emotionally. She lost excess skin and gained a whole new self confidence. I got dragged to clothing stores every weekend when she could finally shop at normal sized clothing stores and I oohed and aaahed as she tried on a million outfits.... lol, it was well worth the time and effort to see her beaming at her new self. That was 12 years ago and she still looks and feels amazing.
How expensive is the skin removal surgery? Also how bad is recovery?

I had my body contouring surgery this February, 11 months after my RNY. I had a 360 degree lower body lift, brachioplasty (arm lift), and breast reduction/lift. I went with an expert in this field. This is all he does, post weight-loss body contouring, so was able to do it in a single surgery. If you've been obese for years or have done extreme yo-yo-ing, your skin looses it's elasticity. Your run of the mill plastic surgeon doesn't have the expertise to deal with this type of skin and tissue.

Yes, it's a huge investment but the way I see it, you only get one body. If I'd take a loan out for a car or house I love, I should value my body just as much. I couldn't be more thrilled with the results. I had lost 127 pounds before body contouring, he took off another 10.2 pounds of skin, and I've since lost just over 20 more. I'm still numb where my nerves were severed but it can take over a year for nerves to regenerate after such an extreme surgery. My scars are getting lighter and will continue to fade. Below are a couple pics of me in the days and weeks following my surgery. The "pie-crust" style of stitching he uses is genius in the beginning to prevent pulling on the actual incisions:

View attachment 3112

This is my transformation since the beginning of my journey:

View attachment 3114
How expensive is the surgery? Will the scars go completely away and if so how long will it take? Oh and you look Amazing!!!

How expensive is the surgery? Will the scars go completely away and if so how long will it take? Oh and you look Amazing!!!
Thank you very much!!! No, scars will continue to fade but never go away, it's a trade off that you need to make your peace with. For me, it was an easy decision, I had hated that hanging, lumpy, bumpy leftover skin and tissue that exercise wouldn't ever touch. I'm also a "good healer" and previous surgical scars are barely visible. Granted, these are long incisions made all over my body but I'm hopeful that by a year, I'll have healed up pretty well. And a bonus with the surgeon I went with is that if I have any scars that are still pretty ugly after a year, he'll do a scar revision as an outpatient procedure in his office. That is "free" (or lets get real, I consider that part of the total cost).

Recovery is rough but I live alone and managed. I had to take 8 weeks off of work because I could neither sit long because of the 360 degree incision just above my tush, nor could I stand long since I had my ab muscles tightened and was hunched over the first 4-6 weeks. I had to change positions often. I'd say that getting in and out of bed was the hardest part for me since I had everything done at once and couldn't use my arms or core muscles to sit up. But I researched and prepared for months. I hired someone to come in for an hour, three times a week to vacuum, bring my grocery deliveries up the stairs (I live in a second floor condo) and keep an ear out for me while I showered, just in case. I only needed her for 3 weeks. After that, I could do a lot more on my own.

I met with 5 surgeons who specialize in post-weight loss body contouring either in person or virtually. The quotes varied, quite significantly. The first surgeon that I was seriously considering had thousands of positive reviews and was in Mexico. His estimate was about $17,000 and even included an inner thigh lift which I couldn't afford with any US surgeon. But the travel would be a lot on a healing body from NY. My highest quote in the US (without the thigh lift) was $35,000. Each surgeon will evaluate your body, health and base your quote on how long he/she expects your case to take. Many will only do one or two procedures at once, they don't want to keep you under too long. Fortunately for me, based on my good health, age, and body type, my surgeon could do everything (again, except thighs) in a single surgery. I'm sure that saved me several thousand dollars in hospital costs, the anesthesiologist and other misc. costs that add up if I had needed multiple surgeries. So you really need to get estimates based on your specific body since there are so many factors to consider. What may cost one person $26,000 may cost someone else $5,000-$10,000 more.

Back