• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Hello everyone. I had roux-en-y gastric bypass surgery on December 27, 2011.

Mindy

My name is Mindy and I had roux-en-y gastric bypass surgery on December 27, 2011. It will be four weeks tomorrow for me. My journey started in June 2011. My weight was 238 pounds and I have had a lot of back surgeries and knee replacements. I chose to have this surgery because I need to be able to have some fun in my life. The last few years have been rough. I had to go out of work on disability because I could not do my job any longer and the depression had really gotten to me. I am hoping that after I get this weight off that I will feel like getting out of the house and being involved in more with my husband and grandchildren. I would like to find out from the older members how long it takes to get to their goal weight. I have about 90 pounds that I want to loose. I am at 208 now.

Last edited:
Mindy. It took me about 18mo to lose a total of 120 lbs and you may reach yourgoal sooner. welcome to the site. keep all of us posted.patti

Hi Mindy. Welcome, I am Tom, I am about 22 months out and close to 20 lbs from my goal weight, I feel great, just remember that we all lose weight at different speeds some quicker some slower so try not to focus on the person who is losing weight faster than you because there is also someone losing weight slower than you. It has been a great journey for me although I learned the hard way what I can and can not eat and drink so things are going smoother now. Good luck and let us know how it is going. :cool: Tom

Thanks patti and Tom for your posts. Since I am just four weeks out, I am having some trouble telling when I am full. What do you both suggest to eat when you are eating every two hours. I've had veg soup, chilli, spaghetti sauce and chicken with tomatoes and garlic. I am trying my best to get the protein in my meals instead of drinking the shakes. Maybe you all have some recipes that would be simple to do.

Your menu sounds good, I remeber I could barely eat my first year and would have to have at least one protien shake a day, the protien bars were to much for me to eat. When started on solid foods I started real slow, like they suggested, boiled eggs was a good start, I also got those little cans of tuna (3.5 oz) mixed with some low cal mayo and pico de gallo, some turkey sausage (2 oz) scrambled up with an egg is good for breakfast also. Dinner meals would be grilled chicken (George Forman Grill) sesoned up with some montreal steak seasoning, I also like ground turkey and lean hamburgar (3 oz) seasoned to taste (woschestersire sause), then for a side I would have refried beans or rice (1/4 cup) and steamed veggies after a while. If you don't have a food scale then run out and get one when you can, I use measuring cups now, after a while I found it easier to measure with the little measuring cup sets, but weigh them out just to proof yourself every so often. I also use the small salad plates when I eat. It is amazing how such a small amount wil fill you up so quick, I have a better trained eye now so when I go to a picknic or familly BBQ I make my own plate or my kids bring me a plate of food that will last me a week or a bunch of food I can't eat. But I still have protien shakes, not as often anymore unless I am doing a lot of strenuouse work. Just try different things, the taste buds start to change after surgery. Hope I helped you out. Good luck. :cool: Tom

I am not the best person for menues.WhenI started out I was having small portions of meat, fish or chicken. the important concern is getting 70 gm of protein a day. the way I did it was like this. brk.one egg any style,1 piece of wheat toast and 2 strips of bacon or link of sausage...snack 1 container of yogurt, any flavor without fruit in the bottom and mix in powdered milk to stiffen it up. lunch.1 apple with4 small pieces of cheddar cheese.snack yogurt again.supper 4 oz meat veg salad with re and green vegetables for added protein.snack yogurt. It sounds kind of boring but it worked for me. I avoided all white foods,pastas,spagetii,rice in the early part of my recovery. Just a little hint for portions..take dessert size plate for your meal and measure equal portions for meat, fruits,veg,salad. remember broth,cream soups,jello(UNSWEETENED) and puddings are good protein choices. I am basically lazy when it comes to menues so I have to keep it simple.If you are havinng trouble feeling full remember you have 64 oz of water to drink every day and I use sugarfree flavors. I'll drink warm jello water instead of waiting . Oh I read somewhere no bananas. I had such a sesitivity to dumping that I kept my menues pretty basic. I do not like tuna but it is an excellent protein as are eggs. our old patterns of eating completely change and our increase of activity helps too. seeI know what to do and plan to do the 5 day pouch diet to get back on track. glad you are herepatti

Thanks patti. Your info really helps me. I like you am very simple when it comes to meal planning. I like all foods but know that my diet has to change from what it was. I go back to the nutritionist on jan 30th and hope they will allow some additional foods. The pureed foods are not very tasty to me. I have lost 16 pounds in my first month so I am looking forward to "time flying" for the next few months to see how much more I can lose. Please keep in touch on the different things that you are doing. They certainly help. Mindy

what a great thread I am 6 days post op and just started my second phase of liquids! so far so good! loving all of your Ideas thank you so much!! Jenny

Mindy
hi haven't seen you on here in awhile. how's your journey been so far? is the weight falling off as fast as you thought it would? That is my biggest thing wondering how long it will take me to loose close to 100 pounds . When you feel good please share how it's been since your surgery. Still waiting for my surgery date, looking towards May & hoping I get my turn soon.
Take care
Donna

JennyBug76
hi how are you doing since your surgery? did you loose all that weight since your surgery date? congratulations on it, when you feel good and feel like sharing how your journey has been, others like me can learn from your experience and rejoice with you as you get closer to your goal. Keep healthy.
Donna

I am now three months out of surgery and have lost 50 pounds. Taking me a little tile to figure out what foods I can eat without getting sick. I have another 30 at lease to lose and would like to lost maybe 40 more. Hope everyone else is doing well.

Back