• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Hello Everyone! I'm Sarah

hellonurse

Hey,

I am new to the forum. I had the gastric sleeve on Monday 5/11/2015.
I am having such a hard time meeting my fluid requirement and I haven't even been able to add protein shakes back in. I was in an extreme amount of pain post op and had to stay an extra day because of it. I could barely even swallow 1ml without it burning and hurting. Now, no matter what I put in my mouth it goes straight through me within 30 minutes. I am only eating a full liquid diet, but everything still hurts. I started at 267, weighed 258 pre op and today am 245. I am excited about the weight loss, but I have zero energy to do anything. I did not expect this much of a difficult recovery. I am a nurse (cardiac) and thought I would better be able to handle everything! Even though it's a little late, I am beginning to wonder if I did the right thing!
I look forward to meeting some new friends and chatting about success tips, recipes and more.

Thanks,

Sarah

Welcome to the forum Sarah.

First off, congratulations on your weight loss. I, like you, had second thoughts on wether I made the right decision. To be honest, I am 2 weeks post op and still wonder, but what brings me back to reality is when I sit here thinking of how much pain I am in now and even though I know I will get better in time (time to let my body heal) I will be much healthier than I was without having the surgery.

Just to let you know your body is trying to adjust to what just transpired. Now as far as your fluid requirements it hurt like hell for me to drink anything. I felt like every little sip I was having a lot of chest pain. Come to find out its just the air that I swallow and the gases still within me from surgery. So my doctor recommended eat ice chips. At least you are getting liquid this way and it will help with keeping your throat moisturized and not dry. As far as everything going straight through you I would check back with your doctor. However, for the first week to week and a half on my liquid diet every liquid that came in me came out of me liquid as well. I wouldn't say 30 minutes, but it was very frequent and bothersome.

Like i said, give it some time. There are tons of great support out here on this website and I am sure they will all be chatting with you shortly.

You take care and stay in touch.

~Debbie

Hi Sarah WELCOME TO THE FORUM!

Everything will get better soon. Once your doctor lets you eat soft foods, eggs, tuna, salmon, applesauce and cottage cheese, you will feel much better. You will have much more energy!

Congratulations on you weight loss!

Cheyenne :cool:

Sarah,
Glad to have you on this forum. Everybody here is so helpful. I am hoping you will feel better soon. I am having a partial gastrectomy as well as the Lap RNY. I hope I dont have too much pain. I am also an ICU nurse! ( work for insurance company now though) It is nice to know another nurse on here. My surgery is coming up on 6-23-2015. I am both excited and scared. I hope you will be feeling better soon and able to not have so much pain. Everything takes a while to heal. Good luck in your recovery and keep us posted on how you are doing!! Your did the right thing--6 mos from now==Think how you will feel--pretty great I bet!! Keep your eyes on the prize girl! Skinny someday!! Yay!!

Dee

Back