• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Hello Everyone, My name is Marie

Marie Stebbins

This is all new to me so please bear with me, ( I've been having a bit of difficulty with memory details and trying to find/remember words when I need them) I excited but fearful at the same time. I'm from Deltona, Fl. and the nearest support groups are over an hr away. So here I am. I only have basically 3 people in my life here - My Mother, my dom partner Russell, my niece & her 3 yr son. There are no neighbors really around so I am always by myself. Although everyone is okay for the surgery there is no real support from any one of them especially Russell. I pulled the sciatica nerve across my lower back in 2008 and have had nothing but pain all these years and put on weight (over 150 lbs.) due to not being able to move around normally. I started seeing a Dr. Beltre in Altamonte Springs since August and hopefully this month is my last app before we can schedule surgery. He told me that since I no longer have a gallbladder there's only one type of surgery to perform which I think is the bypass? So there's my excitement... My fear is to keep on the straight and narrow. I basically stay housebound except for appointments and down the road to Moms (she babysits my grt. nephew and well the terrible 2's and tantrum 3's have nothing on him. I don't move fast so standing for long periods of time or walking a bit puts me in pain. Exp. It takes 2 -3 hrs for me to get through walmart, during the 1st 1/2 hr pain sets in and I'm dragging to get done and suffer the next 2 - 3 days. I've asked Russell to walk with me due to a busy road and well maybe 4 times so far. So there's not any real support in anything, not even a buddy system. As I said always by myself, no neighbors or people to see or talk to. So here I am!!! Hoping to meet people and make to new friends, who knows and understands what I need to do and go through. Thanks for letting me bend your ears,

Welcome to the group Marie! :) Bend away, this group is full of lots of great people who love to help encourage others throughout their journey. It may take a few days to get a response now and then, but we are all busy people! I hope your surgery is set soon and you get to begin your journey to weight loss and a new and healthy you! Will you be able to exercise after the surgery? Is the surgery suppose to help with your issues of the pulled nerve? I hope it helps a lot and that you will get to moving around much more that you are able to now. Keep us posted on how your doing as you move forward, we are glad you are here!

Thank you.. The exercising is a royal pain not only is it the lower back issues I've now the arthritis throughout the lower back, hips, and pelvic area. So yes the surgery is to help with that issue but I would love to see the real me again. In 2007 I was finally sliding from a 12 down to size 11. Oct. 2008 was when I got hurt at work and shot right up to an 18 by Dec. I've tried the exercising but I'm able to only able to handle about 5 min. on the treadmill before the pain sets in, after that I'm it's pure pain the next 2 days. Hopefully soon I'll know more on when Dr. Beltre sets up the surgery for me, my last app. is end of the month so I'm hoping March - April. Waiting room is constantly packed. Thanks for getting back to me and for the encouragement. I really appreciate it. Have a wonderful night.

You might check around and see if there is a place you can exercise underwater. I've been walking on an underwater treadmill and taking an aqua zumba class since last August. I've lost about 95 lbs. using that method. Water is amazing as it absorbs your weight and is gentle on your joints. Only when doing the high steps in Zumba have I been a bit sore after a workout, otherwise, it doesn't seem like I am exercising other than pure exhaustion, which just means the water resistance is working! Since you are working around current issues, it may help in the long run. I love my workouts and am at the gym 5-6 days a week. I started off super slow and felt like a cow but I walk 2 miles a day now at a pretty fast rate and it's working. Just a thought, I hope you can find something in your area!

Thank you.. The exercising is a royal pain not only is it the lower back issues I've now the arthritis throughout the lower back, hips, and pelvic area. So yes the surgery is to help with that issue but I would love to see the real me again. In 2007 I was finally sliding from a 12 down to size 11. Oct. 2008 was when I got hurt at work and shot right up to an 18 by Dec. I've tried the exercising but I'm able to only able to handle about 5 min. on the treadmill before the pain sets in, after that I'm it's pure pain the next 2 days. Hopefully soon I'll know more on when Dr. Beltre sets up the surgery for me, my last app. is end of the month so I'm hoping March - April. Waiting room is constantly packed. Thanks for getting back to me and for the encouragement. I really appreciate it. Have a wonderful night.
Welcome, we are all here for you, if you have any questions just ask, you will not be sorry you decided to do this, I had it done a little over a year ago and so happy I did it. I feel great and look great lol, with clothes on hehehe, I have extra skin but health wise doing good. Good luck with your weight loss and hopefully it will help with the pain you are having

Welcome, we are all here for you, if you have any questions just ask, you will not be sorry you decided to do this, I had it done a little over a year ago and so happy I did it. I feel great and look great lol, with clothes on hehehe, I have extra skin but health wise doing good. Good luck with your weight loss and hopefully it will help with the pain you are having
Thank you Tracy. My next app is on the the 26th so I'll know more then. Have a wonderful day.

You might check around and see if there is a place you can exercise underwater. I've been walking on an underwater treadmill and taking an aqua zumba class since last August. I've lost about 95 lbs. using that method. Water is amazing as it absorbs your weight and is gentle on your joints. Only when doing the high steps in Zumba have I been a bit sore after a workout, otherwise, it doesn't seem like I am exercising other than pure exhaustion, which just means the water resistance is working! Since you are working around current issues, it may help in the long run. I love my workouts and am at the gym 5-6 days a week. I started off super slow and felt like a cow but I walk 2 miles a day now at a pretty fast rate and it's working. Just a thought, I hope you can find something in your area!
Hi Pixx: Is the gym you go to a "name gym"? Like Planet fitness, L. A. Fitness etc.? ( You'd think living in Florida I'd have a pool but Russell won't allow one. Not even an above ground pool.basically is, especially knowing how it is with my back issues that have lead to other aliments of pain elsewhere. There's where the confrontation with him is always about "not being supportive to/for me (considering I've taken care of all " his health needs, crohns disease - surgeries - cancer - mental health & depression plus everything else I do for him). Anyhow, I think L.A. may have something with water but I will definitely have to check. There is a YMCA but it only has senior water aerobics available. I will have to check there as well. Thank you and have an excellent day.

Hi Pixx: Is the gym you go to a "name gym"? Like Planet fitness, L. A. Fitness etc.? ( You'd think living in Florida I'd have a pool but Russell won't allow one. Not even an above ground pool.basically is, especially knowing how it is with my back issues that have lead to other aliments of pain elsewhere. There's where the confrontation with him is always about "not being supportive to/for me (considering I've taken care of all " his health needs, crohns disease - surgeries - cancer - mental health & depression plus everything else I do for him). Anyhow, I think L.A. may have something with water but I will definitely have to check. There is a YMCA but it only has senior water aerobics available. I will have to check there as well. Thank you and have an excellent day.

Actually, the county I live in just built a new hospital, and they added a gym/physical therapy portion next to the doc's offices, so no, it's not a 'name gym' like so many out there, it's just called 'Black & Gold Fitness' because the local high school colors are black and gold :)

Actually, the county I live in just built a new hospital, and they added a gym/physical therapy portion next to the doc's offices, so no, it's not a 'name gym' like so many out there, it's just called 'Black & Gold Fitness' because the local high school colors are black and gold :)
WoW, That's cool. You'd never find anything like that in Florida. At least there there's someone who knows the ins and outs of working out properly. What I mean is someone there that is able with the right type of knowledge to help out in the right type of exercises for each individual. Most gyms just hire anyone just to fill a position. What I would need is for someone with hands on experience to help here I won't put myself in danger of hurting myself further. That I don't need. Think that's one of my biggest obstacles besides being embarrassed of my weight. Something I need to get over but not easy.. :rolleyes:

Have you tried a Recumbent exercise bike? This type of bike is like sitting in a chair and your legs are out in front of you (I cannot reach the pedals on regular exercise bikes, LOL).
I found mine on Craigslist but, you can get them for a little over a hundred at some retail stores.

Attachments

• Bike.jpg
    Bike.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 176
Have you tried a Recumbent exercise bike? This type of bike is like sitting in a chair and your legs are out in front of you (I cannot reach the pedals on regular exercise bikes, LOL).
I found mine on Craigslist but, you can get them for a little over a hundred at some retail stores.
Hi Stephanie, I've seen them but I have an upright in my ebay cart for next months disability check. I got a letter today from my insurance stating that they agree to the surgery on the 27th of April - so far o good. I've talked with L A Fitness last week but I've been extremely sore since straightening the house up due to someone coming over to buy one of Russells' refinished antique trunks. I've also ordered a couple things from walmart so hoping everything fits and maybe I'll be able to start sometime next week. Tomorrow I will be going with my Mother for the day so in & out of a car might set me further back so we'll have to see but I'm starting to look forward and ahead. Doc told me no more potatoes, rice, breads etc - basically whites plus also no cakes or any sweet treats in my meals either. Guess the count down is starting. Well Have a great day tomorrow. Thanks and God Bless

This is all new to me so please bear with me, ( I've been having a bit of difficulty with memory details and trying to find/remember words when I need them) I excited but fearful at the same time. I'm from Deltona, Fl. and the nearest support groups are over an hr away. So here I am. I only have basically 3 people in my life here - My Mother, my dom partner Russell, my niece & her 3 yr son. There are no neighbors really around so I am always by myself. Although everyone is okay for the surgery there is no real support from any one of them especially Russell. I pulled the sciatica nerve across my lower back in 2008 and have had nothing but pain all these years and put on weight (over 150 lbs.) due to not being able to move around normally. I started seeing a Dr. Beltre in Altamonte Springs since August and hopefully this month is my last app before we can schedule surgery. He told me that since I no longer have a gallbladder there's only one type of surgery to perform which I think is the bypass? So there's my excitement... My fear is to keep on the straight and narrow. I basically stay housebound except for appointments and down the road to Moms (she babysits my grt. nephew and well the terrible 2's and tantrum 3's have nothing on him. I don't move fast so standing for long periods of time or walking a bit puts me in pain. Exp. It takes 2 -3 hrs for me to get through walmart, during the 1st 1/2 hr pain sets in and I'm dragging to get done and suffer the next 2 - 3 days. I've asked Russell to walk with me due to a busy road and well maybe 4 times so far. So there's not any real support in anything, not even a buddy system. As I said always by myself, no neighbors or people to see or talk to. So here I am!!! Hoping to meet people and make to new friends, who knows and understands what I need to do and go through. Thanks for letting me bend your ears,

Welcome Marie
This is a great place to get support from others that have had surgery done so welcome. I can relate to you with the lower back problems because I'm set to have surgery on my March 26 of this year so I feel you. Hang in there you will be fine once you have the surgery I think you will be please and your back might even get a little better. Do what you can don't push yourself when it comes to exercise right away do what you can and work yourself up to doing more. Hang in there you have support here.

Back