• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Hello Everyone

lowndes36

I am new to this site but am really glad I found it. I just went in for my consultation on Friday and my doctor believes that gastric bypass is going to be the correct surgery for me. I have had a previous surgery on my esophagus and my stomach was wrapped around the esophagus to support it. The less evasive surgeries would not work for me. I was hoping for a lap band following one of my brothers who had it done several years ago and has done an outstanding job keeping it off. I guess I am nervous. I have previously heard that by-pass is a last resort and the most difficult on the body. I have several friends who have had the sleeve surgery and they are doing extremely well and lost a tremendous amount of weight. When I had the surgery on my esophagus, it took very little to fill me up and between diet and exercise, I was able to drop over a 100 lbs. I am not concerned about having surgery to restrict my stomach and help curb my hunger, but I am more concern about the type of surgery. I want to keep traveling and enjoying life. I love trying new foods and going out of my comfort zone. I am worried that the by-pass surgery will be more evasive and I will not be able to enjoy some of the simple things in life. I have been reading some of the comments and it seems that some of the concerns I have, have been experienced by others who have had the surgery, but there is a lot of support on this site. I guess the good news with the pandemic is my surgery will not be scheduled until August or September which gives me a lot of time to fact find and really think about this. I am about 150 lbs over my ideal weight and just tired of being fat. I have tried numerous diets and medications, but the one truly thing that has worked for me is having had a surgery which stemmed my hunger for a period of time even though it was never developed for that. I would appreciate any thoughts and if others have had these or similar thoughts before committing to surgery.

Hi, I just joined today and am scheduled to have the bypass as well. My mom had it about 5 years ago and did extremely well even without following the orders to a T. I’m excited, but nervous and hopeful that this is a means to an end for me. I just want to enjoy life without this excess weight, and live to the fullest.

Welcome lowndes36.
I had gastric bypass 8 months ago. I have not had any issues with not being able to eat foods other than ice cream.
It affects everyone differently. I don't find that I have to make running trips to the bathroom and I have never thrown up since surgery.
Now, that is not to say everything is perfect because it is all a big adjustment.
I would say that my biggest issue is dumping syndrome but dumping syndrome is a lot of different things. For me it is a rapid heartbeat after eating almost anything, I also get very hot after I eat almost to the point of sweating. Now these symptoms only last about 30-45 minutes and sometimes it is very mild and sometimes it is a little more uncomfortable but not so much that I regret having the surgery. I wish I had done it 10 years ago.
I'm 53 if that makes a difference.
Good luck.

Welcome lowndes36.
I had gastric bypass 8 months ago. I have not had any issues with not being able to eat foods other than ice cream.
It affects everyone differently. I don't find that I have to make running trips to the bathroom and I have never thrown up since surgery.
Now, that is not to say everything is perfect because it is all a big adjustment.
I would say that my biggest issue is dumping syndrome but dumping syndrome is a lot of different things. For me it is a rapid heartbeat after eating almost anything, I also get very hot after I eat almost to the point of sweating. Now these symptoms only last about 30-45 minutes and sometimes it is very mild and sometimes it is a little more uncomfortable but not so much that I regret having the surgery. I wish I had done it 10 years ago.
I'm 53 if that makes a difference.
Good luck.
You look absolutely flawless for 53. You’re gorgeous! I’m glad to have some insight from elsewhere as I fussed at my mom quite a bit for not following the restrictions, and other things. Did you have a sensitivity to ice cream prior to the surgery? Though I haven’t been formally diagnosed, I believe that I am lactose intolerant and my body reacts very strangely to dairy.

Last edited:
Back