• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Hello, excited to be here.

tam-nae

Hello, everyone I am excited and scared as it gets closer to my surgery date of July 13. Very thankful I found this group to hear real life experiences to help and support each other in our journeys. As the date is coming up I am getting in my head second guessing if I am making the right decision but in my heart I know this the road to take to get where I want to be for me and my family.

I was terrified and honestly had to talk my self into getting into the bed instead of leaving on surgery day.

I no longer have diabetes, or any weight related health issues. And I feel the best I have felt in decades.

You are making a great decision for yourself. Follow your teams guidelines and you'll be successful. Good luck.

Hello, everyone I am excited and scared as it gets closer to my surgery date of July 13. Very thankful I found this group to hear real life experiences to help and support each other in our journeys. As the date is coming up I am getting in my head second guessing if I am making the right decision but in my heart I know this the road to take to get where I want to be for me and my family.
Welcome!
I understand major surgery can feel daunting, but since you have come so far, it means this really is the best way for you to regain control of your health. While it may seem drastic for a lot of people, obesity is a serious metabolic disease that cannot be cured in most cases with simple calorie restriction. As a matter of fact, most methods that have relied on food restriction overwhelmingly fail in the long term.
What makes bariatric surgery such a good option for us is that, by altering our bodies, they reset both metabolism and hormonal imbalance that are at the bottom of the problem.
That being said, surgery is but a tool, and taking an active role in modifying your habits and food addiction is the single way to have long term results. You are here because you want to be healthy, and you have a wonderful option to help you overcome a very insidious disease. I truly believe this is the best choice. Best of luck!

Hi Tam-nae, I just had my surgery 5 months ago and felt similar dread the week before my surgery date. In fact, I was crying from anxiety the night before. Make sure you stick with your pre op diet and know the surgery itself was nowhere near as bad as I anticipated. I don't regret having the surgery at all. I have struggled with my weight for decades and only wish I had pursued the surgery at a much younger age. As the others point out, this is a tool for you to regain control of your health. I have lost about 60 pounds now and while it's slow going lately, I physically feel a lot better. I believe I made a good decision for my health, and I believe you are making a good decision for yours.

Back