• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Hello Iam cindy

CCF

Iam a Month and a week post op. Iam having trouble keep ford down. The doctor Did an MRI , CAT SCAN AND AN ENDOSCOPY. BUT EVERYTHING seems to be fine. Is anyone or did anyone have my same problem. Plus i stopped losing weight . what can i Do. I need heLP am really struggling and iam afraid iam going to fail.

Hi Cindy, welcome to the group. I am so sorry you are having problems. Aside from doing testing, did the doctor offer you any suggestions? Have you experimented with what you are eating, such as go back to liquids and add things gradually to see if it is a particular food that is an issue? I would not worry about the weight loss right now because it sounds like you are having trouble keeping food in and therefore are probably taking in very few calories. It could be that you body is protecting you from starvation mode and that will eventually work itself out. Keep in communication with your doctor as he will need to know if things aren't improving. I hope you feel better soon.

Hi, Cindy. Welcome to the group. LOTS of people have a hard time keeping down food in the beginning. Even more of us had a weight loss stall pretty quickly after surgery. You are NOT failing. Some of us take longer to heal than others. I second what Judy said. Sometimes you just need to scale back your intake to the last stage. I'm going to assume you've been okayed for a full diet since your about 6 or 7 weeks post op. Try going back to soft foods for a week. And really watch how much and how quickly you are eating. I had to eat really slowly in the beginning to avoid having my stomach revolt. I hope you start to feel better soon.

Hi and welcome. Knows at first how hard it is to eat small portions. When I started having problems the dietician said weigh everything. It is very weird when one day you can eat one packet of oatmeal and the next day your body protests halfway through that same portion of oatmeal. Protein shakes that I make using same amounts as before are nearly too much at one time. I don’t feel nauseous, like I want to throw up, my stomach just feels uncomfortable or unsettled. I am still at half a sandwich but I still weigh the meat between 2-3 oz at a time. And that is the meal. It does take time to get used to a whole new way of eating. May you find your way and know the group here is on your side and with you as you travel in this journey.

Iam a Month and a week post op. Iam having trouble keep ford down. The doctor Did an MRI , CAT SCAN AND AN ENDOSCOPY. BUT EVERYTHING seems to be fine. Is anyone or did anyone have my same problem. Plus i stopped losing weight . what can i Do. I need heLP am really struggling and iam afraid iam going to fail.
I will be a month and 1 week post op come Wednesday. From the time I awoke from surgery I had a burning feeling in my stomach. They kept me an additional day in the hospital and were about to keep me a 3rd night but I wanted to go home to my babies. While there they did a swallow test and a CT scan of my stomach. Everything came back normal. You can’t detect indigestion (more about that in a sec) on a swallow test unless you also have reflux showing fluids/food coming back up. I later found out I had developed indigestion which is a different condition than reflux but both can be linked to one another. I used to have reflux prior to surgery but now just have indigestion. Both are treated very similar with acid blockers. It took MANY different medications mostly prescriptions to figure out what helped. Doctor decided to take me off all of them and put me on OTC Pepcid once a day. So I take that in the AM and then Omeprazole in the PM. What a HUGE HUGE difference it has made. I can eat and drink with no burning at all. My stomach still gurgles and I still burp a lot and even have hiccups but no pain involved unless I eat too fast and then my tummy just feels too heavy. A lot of the time it’s just the stomach healing which takes up to 2 full months to completely heal on the inside. So give it just a little more time and hopefully things get better. If you still can’t hold food down maybe ask them to check for any blockages. Oh and as far as the weight loss goes, my friend and I both gained 3-4 lbs our 3rd week post op. Both our docs said it’s completely normal and that we might see fluctuations for the next 2-3 weeks as we start eating more solid foods. I think all of us feel like we might fail. I know I have been scared of that but the people here have helped me realize that 1 or 2 weeks and sometimes more of not seeing any weight loss is okay and that it WILL pick back up. After we both gained that week we then lost all of it plus some the very next week. We will ALL have good weeks and not so good ones. Wish you the best and I hope you start feeling better soon.

Back