• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Hello, New Here.

Ash-a808

Hello,
My name is Ashley. I am new to online support groups for Bariatric surgery. I haven’t scheduled all of my appointments yet, nor have I lost all of my pre op weight (it is really hard due to certain meds I’m on) but I just wanted to say hello to my fellow Bariatric peeps. Aloha!

Hello and welcome! I am in the middle of my pre-op as well. I too am in some meds that cause a lot of issues with weight (one of the reasons I am having surgery). It is not easy when your body is working against you and the meds are non-negotiable. Good luck with all your pre-op requirements. You will do great!

Hello and welcome! I am in the middle of my pre-op as well. I too am in some meds that cause a lot of issues with weight (one of the reasons I am having surgery). It is not easy when your body is working against you and the meds are non-negotiable. Good luck with all your pre-op requirements. You will do great!
Thanks Mandy. Do you have a date for your surgery yet?

Just curious, are they requiring you to lose X amount of weight before you are approved for surgery. My sister had to lose close to 80lbs before she could get a surgery date. This was about 15yrs ago, and she told me it was about the hardest thing she ever had to do.

Welcome to the group. Good luck on your journey.

Just curious, are they requiring you to lose X amount of weight before you are approved for surgery. My sister had to lose close to 80lbs before she could get a surgery date. This was about 15yrs ago, and she told me it was about the hardest thing she ever had to do.

I know you're not asking me, but its such a good question, I hope others share.

in 2007 my doctor told me the requirement insurances listed was that a patient be 100 pounds overweight.

Nowadays, from reading dozens of posts here, I see that different insurance companies won't approve the surgery without a certain weight loss, based on their own calculations. to be honest a lot of them seem unnecessarily stringent.

I think it's best just to develop an eating plan you find satisfying and make certain purges, like sugar or fat or carbs. If you show you're losing weight, i think most surgeons will be willing to do the surgery.

one other thing: it's a lot easier on the surgeon if you lose weight that results in folds of skin cascading down, for instance, your abdomen. at any rate they want to feel assured you're capable of achieving the results the surgery offers. otherwise, a doctor could be tagged as a fat farmer who just wants the money and really doesn't help effect a permanent change.

in my case, i was followed up by a university study as well as my surgeon's office, which made it easy. the support group i went to was beyond worthless. if you were skinny from surgery, all the presurgical candidates just blatantly stared at you, not hearing a word the facilitator was saying. finding this group was a blessing beyond belief. i lost a total of 115 pounds in 14 months and have kept most of it off for 15 years.

I just found out today that the YMCA offers free memberships to anyone over 65 in the Puget Sound area. i'm extremely excited to sign up and get busy. Not being overweight is great, but im 70 years old and need some tone in my muscles and skin, which is what i'll get at the Y

Hi Karen,

yes I have to lose a certain amount of weight, but it is less than ten pounds. It is hard but I can’t imagine having to lose 80 that is extremely difficult. Are you planning on having surgery? Take care.

Hi Karen,

yes I have to lose a certain amount of weight, but it is less than ten pounds. It is hard but I can’t imagine having to lose 80 that is extremely difficult. Are you planning on having surgery? Take care.
I'm glad they gave you a reasonable amount to lose. I cannot imagine going through that enormous weight loss that sissy experienced. That was one determined lady, who went through hell and back to get approved. I know Dr. Now from My 600lb Life requires a similar pre-surgery weight loss before final approval.

Thanks for the well wishes. I had gastric bypass surgery July 12th, 2021. Because my pre-surgery weight was 234, I didn't have to lose, just couldn't gain weight before WLS. After 11 months I've lost close to 70 lbs. My 1st goal is 150, so around 15 lbs to go. My ultimate goal is 135, so that will be a total of about 100 total lbs lost, hopefully achieved before the holidays. Good luck to you. ❤❤

Back