• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Hello.....new to the support group

I started the surgery journey on Aug 16th of this year; I have my last visit with the dietitian this Wed and I get my behavioral evaluation done Nov 1st. I'm excited and nervous at the same time; I need both knees replaced....walking is painful but I ignore the pain. I have lost 150 lbs. before by eating 6 meals a day and working out lifting weights/cardio....basically training like a bodybuilder by bodybuilders. I did this at age 50 and kept if off for 6 years. Then I slowly started gaining the weight back with a new job, lack of exercising, not eating enough food, and eating too many sweets. I have tried so many ways to lose this weight: weight watchers, intermittent fasting, vegan/whole food plant based diet. I did lose a few pounds only to gain them back. I am retired now at age 66 and it have been a challenge to try to keep busy especially with 2 bad knees. I am determined to finally get this weigh off with the help of surgery so I can get my knees replaced and be able to live life again. Sorry for the long introduction.

Welcome to the group. I am glad that you have made the decision to do this for yourself. Bad knees are no joke. Remember 1lbs of weight lost takes 4lbs of pressure off your knees. After I had my surgery, within a few weeks, I was able to sleep through the night; not waking up every few hours to take the pressure off of bad joints. Good luck to you.

Welcome! Let the thought of those new knees keep you motivated! I had both my knees replaced 17 years ago and it was the best thing I ever did for myself. I had one done first and couldn't wait to get the other done as it was so successful. Good luck on your journey!!
Thank you! The knees will be keeping me motivated; I would like to get both done at the same time to have the pain only once.

Welcome to the group. I am glad that you have made the decision to do this for yourself. Bad knees are no joke. Remember 1lbs of weight lost takes 4lbs of pressure off your knees. After I had my surgery, within a few weeks, I was able to sleep through the night; not waking up every few hours to take the pressure off of bad joints. Good luck to you.
Thank you! I know that less weight will be less pain for me; I just want to be pain free and able to walk normally again.

I'm going to "steal" this tool! Anything to keep the motivation up!

Hello,
I just had my surgery RNY on 11-9-21. I have my good days and bad days. My kids and husband are wonderful and helping with everything. I guess I'm scared and exhausted. I had the surgery, because I will be 50 in March and after 3 kids all emergency c-sections and type 2 diabetes, I wanted a better chance at life. I'm scared of eating too much and stretching my stomach again. I've lost about 12 lbs since my surgery and my blood glucose is really low. I'm thinking I may even finally be off my U500 insulin and onto regular insulin. I'm also insulin resistant. I may start to see a therapist so I have someone to talk to....Good luck to everyone on their journeys.

Hello,
I just had my surgery RNY on 11-9-21. I have my good days and bad days. My kids and husband are wonderful and helping with everything. I guess I'm scared and exhausted. I had the surgery, because I will be 50 in March and after 3 kids all emergency c-sections and type 2 diabetes, I wanted a better chance at life. I'm scared of eating too much and stretching my stomach again. I've lost about 12 lbs since my surgery and my blood glucose is really low. I'm thinking I may even finally be off my U500 insulin and onto regular insulin. I'm also insulin resistant. I may start to see a therapist so I have someone to talk to....Good luck to everyone on their journeys.

Congrats on your surgery and I wish you much luck on your journey!

Hi, welcome to the group and congratulations on your surgery. Definitely get a therapist! Don't wait until you are in crisis mode, if you think you need one now you probably do.

I've been through hell and back since my surgery just over three months ago, trying to get back to the happy person I was before my RNY. I see my therapist weekly. It is a very emotional time for many of us. People around us react differently to bariatric surgery. There is no shame in needing help.

For the first time in months, I can see a light a the end of the tunnel.

Everyone is scared and exhausted a few days postop. Your body has just been through major surgery. You've just lost 12 lbs! Your body is probably wondering what the heck is going on! Who ordered this complete overhaul and didn't tell me!

Anyway, best of luck to you! Get that therapist, one that you like and can open up to. You found a great place for support here as well!

Hi and welcome to this group. You have joined with a terrific group of supportive, nonjudgmental people here. I am so happy you've come through your surgery so well, and losing 12 lbs already is great. Having your family on board is such a blessing, as you well know.

Please continue sipping water to meet your 64+ ozs daily, and try working movement in every chance you can. Good luck and please stay in touch.

Back