• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Hello, new to this site.

Robin M

I was wondering if anyone has had surgery to remove excess skin? Has anyone had any luck with getting help from insurance in paying for removing excess skin? I would appreciate any information anyone may have. Thank you.

I was wondering if anyone has had surgery to remove excess skin? Has anyone had any luck with getting help from insurance in paying for removing excess skin? I would appreciate any information anyone may have. Thank you.

Hi Robin, WELCOME to the Forum!!!

I inquired from my insurance before bariatric surgery if I would be able to have plastic surgery for loose skin and I was told as long as it was presented as a medical issue, such as sores from skin rubbing etc. then I would be able to have it approved. I was also told to take pictures and get my doctor to document the skin problems.

My problem is that I turned 65 yrs old recently and now Medicare is my 1st insurance and my United Healthcare (federal program) is 2nd now. So I'm not sure if I can get the surgery now but I sure hope so.

Good luck!

Cheyenne :cool:

P.S. CONGRATULATIONS on losing so much weight! You have done AWESOME!!!

Hello Cheyenne,

Thank you for your reply. I have Blue Cross/Blue Shield and to date have not been able to get any help with the cost of removing any of the acres of extra skin I now have. I have gotten good at rolling and bunching it, but sure would like it gone. :) I am trying to get my doctor to work with me, but she is resistant and I am looking for another who may help with this.

You have done very well with your weight loss in the time since your surgery, nicely done :) Your almost there!

Again, thank you for your reply, I appreciate it.

Robin

Hello Cheyenne,

Thank you for your reply. I have Blue Cross/Blue Shield and to date have not been able to get any help with the cost of removing any of the acres of extra skin I now have. I have gotten good at rolling and bunching it, but sure would like it gone. :) I am trying to get my doctor to work with me, but she is resistant and I am looking for another who may help with this.

You have done very well with your weight loss in the time since your surgery, nicely done :) Your almost there!

Again, thank you for your reply, I appreciate it.

Robin

Thanks Robin. :) I am working to get to goal weight but I am at a plateau right now. I have had plateaus every so often and the weight will drop again eventually.

I do think the extra skin removal can't be considered cosmetic in our cases. When losing so much weight it really is a necessary surgery. Please keep me posted on what you find out and I will do the same. My surgeon wants me to wait until after I have had the surgery 18 months for skin removal because he says I will lose more weight until then. So after December I will push harder to see if I can get it done.

Cheyenne

Back