• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Hello . Newbie here :)

Azgirl

Hello I have started my weight loss journey and will be having the Duodenal Switch procedure once I finish all my insurance pre-op appointments and test.
I hope to learn more about this new lifestyle change and pick up a few tips here and there. !
Any suggestions for the mental part of this would be great TIA !

Last edited:
Hi - welcome to the group!

The mental part is different for everyone. Remember that the WLS is a TOOL it’s not a cure. It jumpstarts the weight loss to get you going in the right direction. Follow whatever plan your surgical team gives you.

I would suggest NOT stock piling shakes, soups, vitamins before surgery. Your taste changes. What you like to drink now you may not be able to drink afterwards.

This is a great place to find support, recipes, previous experiences from other members. Best of luck to you staring your new life journey.

Hi - welcome to the group!

The mental part is different for everyone. Remember that the WLS is a TOOL it’s not a cure. It jumpstarts the weight loss to get you going in the right direction. Follow whatever plan your surgical team gives you.

I would suggest NOT stock piling shakes, soups, vitamins before surgery. Your taste changes. What you like to drink now you may not be able to drink afterwards.

This is a great place to find support, recipes, previous experiences from other members. Best of luck to you staring your new life journey.
Thank you for this and I appreciate the feedback ! I was already looking into the shakes and vitamin's LOL I will look into it after surgery .

Make sure you scroll down to read the Latest Resources. There are things there you won't find in the daily postings, and they're very important.

In A very real sense, there's a part of your ability to hear truth that is atrophied until you have the surgery. And the part of your stomach that speaks to appetite is partially or fully removed. It's not just that your big stomach is reduced to a tiny pouch. You don't secrete the hormones you did before.

It's helpful to visit the ASBMS website, where there is long-term, astonishing information.

Our input is important but this is a support group, not a clinical resource. That is an important distinction.

Try to remind yourself that food is FUEL. It's not meant to fix your problems or make you feel better. And eat good tasting, quality food. When you cannot eat a ton of food, quality matters.
I love Tracey's point about WLS being a tool. I know many of us thought, sure but when your stomach is an ounce, how much can you eat?!?! You'll be surprised. But that reset and initial weight loss is a HUGE opportunity toward a healthier and happier you.

Make sure you scroll down to read the Latest Resources. There are things there you won't find in the daily postings, and they're very important.

In A very real sense, there's a part of your ability to hear truth that is atrophied until you have the surgery. And the part of your stomach that speaks to appetite is partially or fully removed. It's not just that your big stomach is reduced to a tiny pouch. You don't secrete the hormones you did before.

It's helpful to visit the ASBMS website, where there is long-term, astonishing information.

Our input is important but this is a support group, not a clinical resource. That is an important distinction.
Thank you ! I will go there now .. :)

Try to remind yourself that food is FUEL. It's not meant to fix your problems or make you feel better. And eat good tasting, quality food. When you cannot eat a ton of food, quality matters.
I love Tracey's point about WLS being a tool. I know many of us thought, sure but when your stomach is an ounce, how much can you eat?!?! You'll be surprised. But that reset and initial weight loss is a HUGE opportunity toward a healthier and happier you.

YES I have to remember that this is a tool and I appreciate your response ! :)

Back