• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Hello

Jme1031

Hi everyone,
Came across this group online, and hoping to seek answers to questions I have.
My doctor advised me I am a good candidate for WLS, I have sleep problems, hormonal imbalances , minor hypertension and also a new diagnosis of prediabetes. Diet changes and exercise seem to have a reverse effect on me, I walk roughly a mile a day and stay away from sugary foods as much as possible and have cut back on drinking alcohol , with no success. As matter of fact since I started ,I have actually gained about 20 lbs in the course of 6 months.
I’m wondering if weight loss surgery helped with anyone who had hormonal imbalances. I don’t have PCOS, but high testosterone and ACTH.
How long did it take to notice improvement?

Hello and welcome to the group. Unfortunately I have no knowledge of the effects of WLS on hormone imbalance. That would definitely be a topic for your doctor. I would suggest a consultation with a bariatric center/surgeon.

Missy makes an important point. This is a support group. We don't know the answers to medical questions and each body is different. Please don't design your eating plan around someone elses's. There are general rules that most doctors share with patients, but there are many exceptions. After we have WLS, our bodies experience many changes. Tell your doctor before surgery and after surgery about chronic or acute problems. If you ask us a question about a medical issue we're going to advise you to seek a professional medical solution.

The doctor is aware of my medical issues and when I asked about the hormone imbalances , the response I got was “if it doesn’t work , there’s medication”. He said I should consider the surgery based off other factors I have. I understand all bodies are different, and it’s not a fix all solution. I guess I should have worded my question “if anyone had a similar issue before surgery and did the surgery have any effect? Positive or negative.
I am just trying to gather personal experience if it’s out there.

The doctor is aware of my medical issues and when I asked about the hormone imbalances , the response I got was “if it doesn’t work , there’s medication”. He said I should consider the surgery based off other factors I have. I understand all bodies are different, and it’s not a fix all solution. I guess I should have worded my question “if anyone had a similar issue before surgery and did the surgery have any effect? Positive or negative.
I am just trying to gather personal experience if it’s out there.
In my case, I have PCOS, so our cases are different, but perhaps my experience can be useful?
My gynecologist has recommended me to lose weight for sometime now, in order to alleviate some of my hormonal problems. I am only about a month postop and have noticed some important changes: I had acantosis nigricans spots between my breasts and some under the breast fold, which I recently noticed have completely vanished. Some darker areas, like my inner thighs, have also lightened. I’ve had hirsutism since puberty, but it has somewhat decreased, though not enough to be actually noticeable to anyone but me. My surgery is very recent, so I cannot give you any more insights.

Back