• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Hello

Lily27

Hi, I've been reading the forums for a while, it has helped me tremendously. I'm in the last steps of getting ready for bypass surgery. I've struggled with my weight most of my life, but I also have a few GI issues that will actually be sorted out by this surgery so win/win. I've already cleared with nutrition and psych, I had already had endoscopy and sleep test before I started this process. Today was my last appt with the nutritionist so now I'm just hoping they have everything they need and I can get scheduled soon. Kinda dreading the 2 weeks of liquid diet but it seems like it sucks for everyone so I'll be in good company.

Hi, I've been reading the forums for a while, it has helped me tremendously. I'm in the last steps of getting ready for bypass surgery. I've struggled with my weight most of my life, but I also have a few GI issues that will actually be sorted out by this surgery so win/win. I've already cleared with nutrition and psych, I had already had endoscopy and sleep test before I started this process. Today was my last appt with the nutritionist so now I'm just hoping they have everything they need and I can get scheduled soon. Kinda dreading the 2 weeks of liquid diet but it seems like it sucks for everyone so I'll be in good company.
It'll fly by and the reward is so worth it! I'm excited for you!

During the 2 weeks pre-op you will be exercising the habits you will need post-op. The liquid diet, tracking everything all day, timing and measuring, it is all so important to getting you organized and prepared. Shop for different high protein liquids and soft low calorie foods. Clean the house and prep your post-op recovery needs. You've got this, it will be here before you know it! I have found small measuring cups to be invaluable since portions are small and measured all day. Disposable shot glasses, 2.5 oz medical cups, dressing containers/lids, and such to serve you and make it easy to store leftovers of recipes.

Scheduled for January 3rd, it's a busy program so a bit of a wait. I'm already eating basically what I will eat after, I have so many food restrictions anyways, but maintaining at least 1600 calories per day which will change drastically after the liquid preop phase. I'm really happy with my team, they are all fantastic, I feel good about the decision and how it will help me in the future, it's just hard to wait and have so many questions that come up every day. I'm just doing my best to stay occupied, I've even gotten some crossword puzzles to work at. I'm also exercising 6-7 days a week, I take a day off when I get really sore. I'm either walking on the treadmill for an hour and using handweights to increase the difficulty instead of increasing speed or incline (Achilles issue), or I'm swimming laps for an hour. I recently learned to swim with my face in the water just to increase the workout. I've always loved swimming but now it's even better, I also love walking as an alternate to jogging. I've lost 30 pounds so far and am hoping to drop some more before surgery day, as well as continuing the daily exercise since I figure it will only decrease my risk and shorten the recovery time. I have a tattoo picked out that I'm getting shortly after surgery on my ankle since I'll have to be out of the pool for a couple weeks anyways.

I also enjoy swimming, I cannot wait to get back in the pool, my sensitive skin and hair/scalp sometimes react badly to regular lap swimming so I am waiting until I plateau, then I may add swimming to jump start my weight loss again. I already have increased skin issues in the drier winter months, so don't want to push it. It sounds like you are doing all the right things, and yes, it is hard to wait for a surgery date, I guess the holidays aren't helping either. 2024 will be a big year for you Lily27!

Back