• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Hello

Hello and welcome. Are you drinking other things as well? Everyone has a different opinion on this but my team said all liquids that aren't carbonated can be counted toward your water goal. You should still shoot for plain water as often as possible, but the point is to avoid dehydration. So, if you're getting 48oz of water and 16oz of protein shake, you should be fine.

Onto food. You should have been given protein goals and possibly other macros to meet. If you can do that in only 3 meals, that's fine too. Also, allow me to suggest eating soft or even liquid foods for a few of your meals. I've found with the smaller stomach, heavy foods or dry meats can fill me up too quickly. Chicken or turkey or egg salad made with a little lite mayo or Greek yogurt as an example. Drink a shake as a meal if you're having problems getting your protein in. Every meal doesn't have to be what we usually consider a meal. I also eat about 5 times a day but 1 of those is usually a small amount of yogurt and berries. Or about a 1/4 C of cottage cheese.

What types of foods/ meals are you eating?

Hello and welcome. Are you drinking other things as well? Everyone has a different opinion on this but my team said all liquids that aren't carbonated can be counted toward your water goal. You should still shoot for plain water as often as possible, but the point is to avoid dehydration. So, if you're getting 48oz of water and 16oz of protein shake, you should be fine.

Onto food. You should have been given protein goals and possibly other macros to meet. If you can do that in only 3 meals, that's fine too. Also, allow me to suggest eating soft or even liquid foods for a few of your meals. I've found with the smaller stomach, heavy foods or dry meats can fill me up too quickly. Chicken or turkey or egg salad made with a little lite mayo or Greek yogurt as an example. Drink a shake as a meal if you're having problems getting your protein in. Every meal doesn't have to be what we usually consider a meal. I also eat about 5 times a day but 1 of those is usually a small amount of yogurt and berries. Or about a 1/4 C of cottage cheese.

What types of foods/ meals are you eating?
I drink Powerade zero along with water. I eat boiled eggs, cottage cheese 2%, yogurt with protein, milk with protein, plain cereal, chicken, beans, and veggies and fruit. Thanks

Yikes! That's a very low protein intake. I hope you are supplementing with liquid protein. Gatorade zero make a protein water as Protein 2o. Or protein shakes. You can also add protein powder to puddings etc to bump up your intake.
You should try to have a drink in your hand, that you are sipping from, at all times. Just stop 30 minutes before you eat.

You don't give any details about why you cannot meet your water/ protein goals. Are you getting full too quickly? Vomiting? If you cannot get enough water or protein to stay healthy, you should call your bariatric surgeons office for advice. There may be a physical issue.

Yikes! That's a very low protein intake. I hope you are supplementing with liquid protein. Gatorade zero make a protein water as Protein 2o. Or protein shakes. You can also add protein powder to puddings etc to bump up your intake.
You should try to have a drink in your hand, that you are sipping from, at all times. Just stop 30 minutes before you eat.

You don't give any details about why you cannot meet your water/ protein goals. Are you getting full too quickly? Vomiting? If you cannot get enough water or protein to stay healthy, you should call your bariatric surgeons office for advice. There may be a physical issue.
I meet my protein intake. I drank a protein shake twice a day and eat with protein powder on my food.

I think what Missy was asking is what IS your protein goal? Any bariatric program will give you a goal to meet every day, along with water requirements. I think for women its something like 60 grams and for men, 90, but right now I honestly can't remember.

Could other members please share what their nutritionists told them regarding protein goals?

I think what Missy was asking is what IS your protein goal? Any bariatric program will give you a goal to meet every day, along with water requirements. I think for women its something like 60 grams and for men, 90, but right now I honestly can't remember.

Could other members please share what their nutritionists told them regarding protein goals?
My protein goal is 60 to 90 grams. That's what my nutritionist explained to me.

Back