• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Hello

HeatherC.

Hi my name is Heather and I am in the phase where I need to lose weight prior to the surgery. Ahhhh! That seems to be what got me here in the first place. My goal is to have the surgery before January. Wish me luck. :)

Hi Heather! I remember that well. Just know it will be behind you soon. Then you'll be on to the surgery stage and it will get better and better as the weight drops off. GOOD LUCK!!!!

Most of us had to loose beforehand, but you are almost there. Just take it a day at a time, remember you have bad moments not bad days or weeks, and keep you eyes on the prize. For most procedures you have to loose some weight, and afterward you will have a tool, the surgery, to help you with success. You can do this.

I know how you feel. My first thought when they told me I had to lose weight was "if I could lose weight I wouldn't be here". But I think they want to test your commitment. And also shrink your liver so that surgery goes better without complications.
After I calmed down, I decided that I would first cut cookies, cakes, pastries, pies and candy out of my diet. The hardest being cake and candy. I continued to eat as usual, except when I wanted something sweet I had strawberries or blueberries with Greek vanilla yogurt, or grapes with Greek yogurt. To my surprise, between my first seminar (February) and meeting the surgeon (May). I had lost 10-1/2 pounds. I was shocked. I even told them there was something wrong with their scales! After that I tried to cut out chips, which took awhile, but finally happened. Just making those changes and not doing anything else helped me lose 25 pounds before my first scheduled surgery. So don't let it scare you. Try some little changes, especially with your trigger foods.
Another thing that helped me was documenting what I ate at MyFitnessPal.com. It helped me cut out some things that I thought weren't so bad, but on the calorie and fat area were off the chart.

Good luck! I lost 30 lbs before my surgery it was hard but stayed determined cause I was so determined to do it. I felt good after the 30 even better after 50 more from surgery. and yes MyFitnessPal.com. it is a very good tool to use, I feel it was awesome to track food and calorie intake and help me stay on track for sure.

Back