• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

tnmom230

I’m new here. I haven’t had my surgery yet and I don’t have much support. I wanted to see if this would be a good option for me. I’m usually a loner but would love to hear from people that have walked the path I’m heading in. I’m having a hard time with the pre-op diet. I have bad habits to break. Trying to stay positive although nobody understands what is going on and not having a encouraging or positive word from close family hurts a little bit.

Welcome! Glad you found us. Which surgery are you getting? Are you scheduled already or still waiting for your date? It can be very overwhelming to break bad habits and start better choices when we try to do it all at once. I started small by making goals before my surgery for things that I knew would help me be successful afterwards. I quit soda, not that I drank much in the first place, I started using a smaller plate for meals, I timed my meals so I wouldn’t rush through eating, I tracked my water. What do you feel like will be your biggest obstacle besides lack of support? That in and of itself can be really hard, so remember why you’re on this journey to stay focused.

Hello!
I just had my VSG on April 22. Start the diet where you can ... for me it was easy to do a protein shake every morning. I purchased every flavor of shake and every high protein soup I could find all so I wouldn't have a favorite flavor or get sick of any one flavor. Try bone broth - that helped me but I know not everyone can tolerate. I added unflavored protein powder to other broths and flavored waters. Jello is help too - not my favorite but it helped because it was something to "chew".
As for family - I told me husband and son (college age) that I would not be cooking. I made a couple of make ahead items for them that they could have (spaghetti sauce, chili etc..) but for the most part they were on their own. It was a challenge at dinner time so I tried to time my walks then andI never ate with them it was too much.
There are several people on YouTube and Instagram who showcase their journey - offer inspiration & motivation and are just really open about their ups and down. Those were helpful to me.
I have only told a handful of people - people I knew who would either support me or not judge. Remember - it's your journey and you control the narrative.
You can do this.
It's hard. It's really hard, but your HEALTH is more important than ANYTHING else.
Sending you love, strength and courage.

I love the idea of timing walks during family meal time in the beginning. I didn’t go in the kitchen when my family was eating while I was on the liquid and pureed phases. Once I got to the point where I could eat some foods, I started joining them again. As a whole we’ve changed a great deal of our meals, and everyone’s been on board with it-lean meats, no frying, lots of vegetables, rarely any carb loaded starches (not that they’re all bad but we used to have them every single night).

I’m new here. I haven’t had my surgery yet and I don’t have much support. I wanted to see if this would be a good option for me. I’m usually a loner but would love to hear from people that have walked the path I’m heading in. I’m having a hard time with the pre-op diet. I have bad habits to break. Trying to stay positive although nobody understands what is going on and not having a encouraging or positive word from close family hurts a little bit.

Welcome tnmom230. You have taken a big step with your decision and now to share. with us is terrific. It demonstrates your determination to change.

Being pre-op myself and new here, I have found everyone to be helpful and encouraging. Reading old posts and learning more about the journeys people have taken to get here has been good for me.

Have you begun your pre-op tests, know your type of surgery, or been given a surgery date?

This last week, I finished the x-rays, bloodwork, hopefully my last gastro tests are going to be enough, I began the cardiac tests, had my second of three phone visits with my nutritionist, plus another visit with my GP who wants to see me monthly through the process. All but one appointment is scheduled.

I was surprised at how the steps in my pre-op seems to vary with my surgeon from many of your experiences. I have no weight loss requirements pre-op, just in general to begin making better choices in nutrition, drink lots of water, and increase exercise. Just learned that because of Covid there is no support group at my hospital and that they are just considering zoom meetings. My nutritionist informed me that at 10 days pre-op, I will get the FIRST info about dietary requirements for pre and post op.

Thank goodness I am learning so much here to prepare. Caterina

Hi there. Welcome to the group. I'm sorry to hear that you're not getting the support that you are looking for. However, even if your family said they were 100% in it, it's a struggle for them too and they will not always be 100% supportive. Has anyone here not had a family member eat a favorite/forbidden food in front of you? Yeah, me too .. it sucks. Just remember; This journey is about YOU! Your health and your future. Others can't do it for you, no matter how supportive (or not) they are. It's sometimes a struggle but you can do this.

I had the gastric bypass almost a year ago (June 2020) and it's been one of the best decisions I've ever made. I had poorly controlled diabetes and was on medication for high blood pressure and cholesterol. Now, my sugar, BP and cholesterol are all perfect without any meds. My arthritis is 90% improved and I feel better than I have felt in decades!!

I LOVE the idea of walking during meal times in the beginning. That's genius. The beginning is always hardest. The goal is to develop life long healthy habits. One step at a time. Good luck.

Hello everyone! I too am new to the group and glad I have found this site! I need all the support I can get. I have just started the pre- op diet to lose my 30 pounds to get the surgery, I have chosen the sleeve. My biggest challenge is exercise I can diet well but exercise is the worst for me, I have bad knees, and so out of shape.

Hello everyone! I too am new to the group and glad I have found this site! I need all the support I can get. I have just started the pre- op diet to lose my 30 pounds to get the surgery, I have chosen the sleeve. My biggest challenge is exercise I can diet well but exercise is the worst for me, I have bad knees, and so out of shape.
Welcome! Even after losing 90 lbs from the surgery exercise is still a struggle for me. I love being active, but intentional exercise just isn’t my thing.

Hi Stacie, welcome to the group! Once you start losing the weight you might find that it is easier to get some exercise in or at least movement of some sort. I'm not a fan of exercising but I am now walking where that wasn't an option for me before surgery. Good luck!

Back